This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

VR worth it without using motion control?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. VR worth it without using motion control?

User Info: Xialoh

Xialoh
4 weeks ago#1
Been thinking about grabbing a Vive, or Rift maybe, but I don't have a large clear space where my computer is at this time. I might have one in the nearish future I guess, if I want, but I'd like to be able to use VR for more general stuff.

Is there much to do with it while sitting at a desk? If so, which VR setup would you recommend if I've got a gtx 1080/i7-6700k/16GB memory?
"Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be." - Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game

User Info: ArkonBlade

ArkonBlade
4 weeks ago#2
well you kind of need the motion controls as most games use them. though if you mean can you just sit in your chair and play with out a lot of space then yeah you can do just fine that way. I dont have a very big living room and i just sit in my chair and play though if you are doing a game where you are going to be swinging your arms around you will need some room so you dont smack your hands into any thing.

I personally dont acre for room scale VR and only sit at my desk and do it.
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ArkonBlade/videos
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade

User Info: triple s

triple s
4 weeks ago#3
I'd just say no.
GT:Triple S 06 PSN: TripleS24
Steam ID:triples22

User Info: Xialoh

Xialoh
4 weeks ago#4
ArkonBlade posted...
well you kind of need the motion controls as most games use them. though if you mean can you just sit in your chair and play with out a lot of space then yeah you can do just fine that way. I dont have a very big living room and i just sit in my chair and play though if you are doing a game where you are going to be swinging your arms around you will need some room so you dont smack your hands into any thing.

I personally dont acre for room scale VR and only sit at my desk and do it.

Oh, well just using them while in one spot would be fine I guess. I suppose what I want to avoid is mainly all the jumping around, literally getting down onto the floor to go prone or anything along those lines. Though even most of that should be fine if I change my room setup some time soon.
"Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be." - Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
4 weeks ago#5
You say without motion control, but what it sounds like you actually mean is without room scale. And yes, it's worth it - that's the exact situation I'm in right now.

VR absolutely shines with room scale, but it's still good with seated or standing for games that support that, and there are quite a few games that do.

I basically have like a 2'x2' space to stand in front of my desk (when I push my chair back as far as I have room). That's been enough for me to easily play games like Tethered, Soundboxing, Space Pirate Trainer, and even some Sairento.

And one of the best VR games to date - Elite Dangerous - is played while seated. Don't have to move around at all. You really need a HOTAS and VoiceAttack at minimum for the game to shine though... But other cockpit style games - racing, space, etc. - that support VR work great and all you need is a chair.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

User Info: loki00_00

loki00_00
4 weeks ago#6
I bought a Vive in January, it's broke now, barely used the thing.
If it still worked, yes it is worth it, for.... reasons..... I'm going to buy the
wireless adapter in case it's a problem with my cables.

Although it might be cancerous to have a wireless transmitter right next
to my brain.

VR is really cool. Dead Effect 2 VR was one of the best shooters I ever
played. But.... It's broke, and I barely used it. I think I just wasted 800 bucks.
The official Oni of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board

KillerTruffle
4 weeks ago#7
loki00_00 posted...
it's broke now, barely used the thing.

https://i.imgur.com/H9tiSmn.gif

User Info: arleas

arleas
4 weeks ago#8
loki00_00 posted...
I'm going to buy the
wireless adapter in case it's a problem with my cables.

I don't think this is going to help much and might add problems if you can't seem to get it to work right. If it's a problem with the cables, it'd be much cheaper to just buy new and better cables.

loki00_00 posted...
Although it might be cancerous to have a wireless transmitter right next
to my brain.

I'm pretty sure that there's no proven correlation to wireless frequencies used by Wifi and Cell phones, and all those videos where they cook an egg or pop popcorn with cell phone antennas are a hoax...unless you're Jimmy's brother Chuck McGill and then you have to wrap yourself in tinfoil and turn off the power to avoid having seizures.

loki00_00 posted...
But.... It's broke,

I asked you in the other topic what it was doing to make you say it's broken (and how you thought a wireless adapter was going to magically fix things) but I don't remember if you ever responded. If it's the screen going black after you start it up, that's a driver issue and you can roll back to nVidia driver 388.31 and it works fine again. They SUPPOSEDLY fixed the issue with the latest driver update but I am going to wait and see if anyone yells about it still being broken before I try it.

Otherwise, if you're using an adapter to go from HDMI to Displayport, I had that problem too, and it turned out that the adapter was flaky and didn't work right unless I JUST got done rebooting the system, and then it only worked once per reboot. I took the displayport adapter out of the equation by buying a mini DP to DP cable and plugging that in to the link box instead of the HDMI cable.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
https://i.imgur.com/Po5TbWg.jpg

User Info: SilentCaay

SilentCaay
4 weeks ago#9
No. VR is all about roomscale and tracked motion controllers. That said, if you have room for a computer chair then you should have at least a minimum amount of room for roomscale, provided you can remove your chair temporarily.

Most games don't try to make you move around a lot so you can entirely use artificial locomotion if need be. You just need room to stand, move your arms and maybe take a step in any direction just to lean into things. There are also some games that can be played seated like racing and flying games.
Hatsune Miku VR - SLoWMoTIoN (Hard) - Perfect
https://youtu.be/8_ZABMkm-Mg

KillerTruffle
4 weeks ago#10
SilentCaay posted...
No. VR is all about roomscale and tracked motion controllers. That said, if you have room for a computer chair then you should have at least a minimum amount of room for roomscale, provided you can remove your chair temporarily.

Most games don't try to make you move around a lot so you can entirely use artificial locomotion if need be. You just need room to stand, move your arms and maybe take a step in any direction just to lean into things. There are also some games that can be played seated like racing and flying games.

First, games like Elite Dangerous and Assetto Corsa would like to raise their hands and say your first point is not exactly true. Elite Dangerous, plus a good HOTAS, plus pedals, plus VoiceAttack, is like the epitome of VR, and you never leave your chair. No other game has given me the sense of immersion or presence as ED has. Also, games like Tethered, Castle Must Be Mine, etc., are easily played just standing, with no foot movement at all.

That said, games designed for room scale do *not* work well usually if the only space you have is where your chair was. I know, because I've tried a couple. Sairento I was able to manage reasonably OK with standing space only. Vanishing Realms, not so much.

It's important to pay attention to the Steam VR categories - seated, standing, and room scale - for games. Games that show room scale only often mean it, and standing room only won't be enough for proper play. If they support multiple options, say room scale *or* standing, then the space where your chair was is enough.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. VR worth it without using motion control?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived