This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Suspiciously good deal on 27" FreeSync

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Suspiciously good deal on 27" FreeSync

User Info: ajxh

ajxh
5 months ago#1
I just ordered a Samsung SH850 27-inch monitor off Newegg for $289. As indicated in the topic title, it almost seems too good to be true. It’s a business class monitor originally released in 2017 that has an MSRP of $449. It’s directly sold by Newegg, though, and not one of their marketplace retailers:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824022589&FM=1

Some highlights:
- 2560x1440
- FreeSync, though the reported refresh rate is just 60 Hz at 1440p. Hoping there’s some overclock headroom
- 4ms response time (pretty good for PLS/IPS)
- PLS panel with 1.07B colors, so likely full 8-bit with dithering, but could be 10-bit. Not HDR compatible, but that’s likely because of its limited luminosity (still more than most non-HDR monitors available) and, of course, if its color gamut isn’t truly that wide
- HDMI, DisplayPort, and USB-C inputs
- Very thin bezel

There doesn’t appear to be any comprehensive reviews available - I guess because it’s technically business class - and the only videos concerning it are by Samsung.

I mean, it’s no Predator, but it’s currently available for almost half of its MSRP. It’s not labeled a gaming monitor, but it has multiple gaming features available according to the manual available online. Seems like a solid option for anyone in the market for something mid-range.

I’ll report back once I’ve had the opportunity to use it a little bit, which should be by the end of the week.

User Info: locksmithblack

locksmithblack
5 months ago#2
Where does it say it's IPS? I don't see it anywhere on the page.
Haters = Motivators

User Info: Pelaaja82

Pelaaja82
5 months ago#3
locksmithblack posted...

It seems to be PLS= Samsung's own version of IPS.
Pc: i7 6700k/980 ti/16gb ram and Ps4.

User Info: ajxh

ajxh
5 months ago#4
locksmithblack posted...

It’s PLS, which is a variant of IPS developed by Samsung several years ago. More info:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/panel_technologies.htm#pls

User Info: locksmithblack

locksmithblack
5 months ago#5
Thanks, it's tempting as I sit here and try to rationalize buying a 5th monitor.
Haters = Motivators
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Suspiciously good deal on 27" FreeSync

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived