This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Whose fault is pop in?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Whose fault is pop in?

User Info: game_man1

game_man1
4 months ago#1
So out of curiosity when experiencing pop in, and I mean the really obvious kind of pop in you can't help but notice, whose fault is that? Is it a problem with poor optimization or my PC?

User Info: Killah Priest

Killah Priest
4 months ago#2
I mean... it could be basically anythings fault.
The Infamous...
If you're one of us then roll with us.

User Info: GoIrish80

GoIrish80
4 months ago#3
Is there a draw distance setting in-game?

User Info: -5xad0w-

-5xad0w-
4 months ago#4
Could very well just be the game engine.
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."
-Mahatma Gandhi

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
4 months ago#5
the engine or your storage is the most likely culprit. I play everything off of an SSD so I pretty much always just assume it's the engine. I even bought an NVMe drive just to play with and it didn't really seem to help, at least in Fallout 4's case which is the game I messed with the most (both were samsung Pro models, so pretty close to the best available in both cases)
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez

User Info: ablerider

ablerider
4 months ago#6
It's related to the texture streaming, sometimes you can adjust it with settings like LOD, geometry detail or texture fade but if you're already using the max settings and still see the pop in then it's just an engine limitation, sometimes you can improve it by increasing the textures poolsize too because some games limited that to ~500mb, I've noticed this in a lot of unreal engine 3 games.

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
4 months ago#7
Could be both, but I feel a lot of it is optimization.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: game_man1

game_man1
4 months ago#8
I mean I'm sure it's sometimes the PC's fault but I gotta think in those cases you'd see more of a performance hit as well as like lower frame rate or longer load times. But if the only issue is the pop in it got me curious if that's something you could actually fix with better hardware.

For example when playing GTA V i can get a stable 60fps in most cases but still see plenty of pop in, so would that be a case of hardware limitation or optimization issues? Like does the guy with top of the line hardware also have deal with noticeable pop in?

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
4 months ago#9
If there's no setting to improve the situation(potentially at the cost of performance) then there's nothing better hardware will do for you. It's programmed into the game as an optimization to reduce the number of draw calls.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
4 months ago#10
This - pop in exists in most games to avoid choking systems - even with a top-end system, eliminating LOD/pop-in completely would bring your system to its knees as it struggles to draw everything at once in full detail.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Whose fault is pop in?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived