This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

For M.2 SSD's is their a speed difference using on board vs PCI-E slot?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. For M.2 SSD's is their a speed difference using on board vs PCI-E slot?

User Info: ArcadeGuy

ArcadeGuy
4 months ago#1
My board has M.2 slot and I saw you can buy PCI-E adapters as well.

User Info: Foxfire15

Foxfire15
4 months ago#2
ArcadeGuy posted...
My board has M.2 slot and I saw you can buy PCI-E adapters as well.

Technically speaking, no. Not sure what board you have, but assuming it's a Z370 board (or anything non X really, for Intel anyway) the PCI-E 1x, NVMe slots, and (usually part of) the 4x slot all share the same 4x PCH bus, as well as all the other low bandwith board addons (Sound, USB, network, etc). The 16x slots of course share with each other, so if you use the other 16x slot you'll only get 8x for each slot. Shouldn't impact anything really, but worth pointing out. For 1 NVMe drive, it will be fine and you shouldn't notice any speed difference. For 2 or more, it depends on how fast they are, and what you're doing with them. IE, an 960 Evo or Pro can almost saturate the 4x bus (not that you're likely to do this is real time usage) but many cheaper ones wont. If you're wanting to raid the drives, they'll need to be on the same sets of buses, as the PCH doesn't intermingle.

TL;DR: 1 drive should do you fine, doesn't really matter where you put it.
It's not the fall that kills you, it's the rapid deceleration.....
*shoves next poster off a cliff*
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. For M.2 SSD's is their a speed difference using on board vs PCI-E slot?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived