This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can't figure out weird router issue.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Can't figure out weird router issue.

User Info: GunmaN1905

GunmaN1905
1 month ago#1
Well, idk where else to ask since I can't figure this out.

Ubee evw327n router, provided by my ISP, it has 5G wireless, pretty standard stuff.
Like 10 days ago I started having issues.

Tried it with 3 phones so exclude the possiblity of it being phone-side.
Basically, wifi randomly cuts out while I'm connected on my phone. Tried it with 3 phones and the results are the same.
While I'm browsing, wifi status just goes to "saved" as if I disconnected or didn't connect at all.
When I try to reconnect it goes from "obtaining IP adress" to "saved", completly blocking out the given phone, but not giving any errors or warnings. As if I didn't even try to connect.
I can connect to other networks, internet connection is fine because I tried it with multiple phones connected at the same time and just one of them gets cut out. Others work fine during that period.
But this also happens when only one phone is connected to the router, excluding the possiblity of other phones conflicting stuff.

When I reset the router, everything's completely fine.
But once a phone cuts out, there's no way I get the connection back online unless I restart the router.
Restarting the phone doesn't work, forgetting the network doesn't work, using static IP and changing all of the other settings didn't work either.

When I go to router menu, everything checks out. 3 phones connected, all of them having different IP adresses so theres no conflict. One just dissapars when it cuts out, so I can't track down any errors.

This happens maybe once in a couple of hours of constant browsing on the phone.

As for the PC, it's connected via ethernet cable and I don't remember when was the last time I had any connection issues. But since this phone thing started happening, I get the occasional connection error when I first boot. Troubleshooting resets the network adapter and everything works after that.

So my guess is some kind of conflict in connections happens on the phones, but phones can't reset the network adapter unlike the PC, so I have to restart the router. Also never happens on the PC except for as I first boot into windows. While it happens randomly on the phone, while browsing.

User Info: Playsaver

Playsaver
1 month ago#2
Are you using an SSID and password the Isp gave you for the router? If you can change that to an SSID and password you want do that. It is rather unlikely that someone is logging on to that router, but if the isp made the password simple then I guess someone could. (If the router security is off there might not even be a password and that could let random people log on to it with them kicking you off as they auto pick the same IP your using.)
If you can set your own ip address in the pc. Right now it is probably trying to auto set for the most likely low value for an Ip address and causing problems. If your pc is saying the ip is 192.168.1.2 then you'd change that last value to something like 192.168.1.50. (most routers let you go from 2 to 255) Nothing auto on most devices will have to go that high to connect. You can try that with your cell phones as well, but it can be difficult to do that on cell phones. Each Ip number must be different to avoid conflict. A device auto finding an IP for your router is easy, but sometimes devices all want to use the same IP and will keep kicking each other off that one IP number.
Lastly you might just have a bad router. See if your Isp will let your have a different one.

GunmaN1905
1 month ago#3
I changed both the admin login and the wifi password, the possibility of someone else logging in is like 0.1%.

Tried the SSID stuff when I meddled with the settings, it doesn't seem to be a password issue.

My IP adresses are 0.11, 0.12, 0.13 and 0.14. All of them static.
But that's not the issue, as I said this started happening 10ish days ago and prior to that I never bothered setting anything to static and I've had this router for nearly 2 years now without any issues.

Also, I have this thing called Unifi. Forgot to mention that.
Basically, it's a second wireless network that my router is emitting, completely seperate from the normal one.
You log onto it with your ISP site email and account. Every router from my ISP emits it (unless if manually disabled by the user) and you can basically connect to Unifi whenever you're in range of a router from your ISP. I pretty much have free wifi(unifi) everywhere in my city and every bigger city in the region.
Unifi doesn't drain bandwith from your regular network, it's a completely seperate thing and if for example someone connects to Unifi through my router with his ISP account, it doesn't affect my speed at all.
But it has 5GB monthly data cap so I don't want to use it while I'm home.

Now, whenever my phone cuts out from my normal wifi network, I can still connect to Unifi through my router without any issues. Which means that the router never loses internet connection. Same conclusion as multiple phones/PC being connected, with only one phone cutting out.
I've also tried disabling it so my router doesn't emit the unifi network, but wifi cutout still happened.

Also, I didn't turn off wifi on my phone last night (2pm now, I'm in CET timezone) and it didn't cut out.
Which leads me to the conclusion it can actually be related with accessing sites. Last time it cut out I was just browsing another forum and opened a streamable link.
Seems to me that it could be a DNS issue when accessing sites which leads to an error that cuts out my wifi.

Puzzling, really.
And I don't even want to bother calling the support because they're usually oblivious with something as weird as this.

User Info: Mr kitty

Mr kitty
1 month ago#4
Look for "wireless frequency interference" on google. You will find the issue of your problem.
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeapGamingMedia

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
1 month ago#5
1 never post your end address.

Call your isp and have then test the line.

If that does not resolve it ask them to replace it.

2. You have a static IP reset your modem and leave it at the default IP and see what happends.

3. Change your wireless signal use your PC and check what others are using and switch signals it might be congested.
Corsair Carbide 540 White W10 64bit ASRock AB350 Pro4 AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 750Watt Thermaltake PSU Patriot Viper Elite 16GB RAM GeForce GTX FTW 1080 8GB

GunmaN1905
1 month ago#6
mucloud posted...
1 never post your end address.

Those are the values from my home network, 192.168 etc, not the public IP.

Call your isp and have then test the line.

If that does not resolve it ask them to replace it.

2. You have a static IP reset your modem and leave it at the default IP and see what happends.

I actually have the option to reset my router and change the IP on my ISP website, can use it once every 15 days. Tried it, didn't solve anything.

3. Change your wireless signal use your PC and check what others are using and switch signals it might be congested.

Didn't undestand this part, what do you mean by change wireless signal?

Mr kitty posted...
ok for "wireless frequency interference" on google. You will find the issue of your problem.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out.

I actually did try with switching between 2.4G and 5G wireless, my router has that option.

Bottom line, I don't think that there's a problem on the router->internet line, it's in the phone->router part.

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
1 month ago#7
The Wireless Signal or Channel is what you go off of broadcasting.

Below is a Article you should check out. Change it once you find out what other people are using around your neighborhood.

Channel's 1-11

I have been doing networking for years and I even follow these steps there spot on.

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372811,00.asp
Corsair Carbide 540 White W10 64bit ASRock AB350 Pro4 AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 750Watt Thermaltake PSU Patriot Viper Elite 16GB RAM GeForce GTX FTW 1080 8GB

User Info: Killah Priest

Killah Priest
1 month ago#8
Puzzling, really.
And I don't even want to bother calling the support because they're usually oblivious with something as weird as this.

this is stupid, you spend a little bit of time humoring them and can get a replacement router or someone to come check your lines...
The Infamous...
If you're one of us then roll with us.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Can't figure out weird router issue.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived