This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. PC gaming is still alive, but most genres that made PC gaming great are dying...

User Info: Dirk85UK

Dirk85UK
1 year ago#1
RTS
MMORPG
Point 'n' Click Adventure Games
Arena FPS

Now it's all about military style FPS and MOBA's.

User Info: Jonbazookaboz

Jonbazookaboz
1 year ago#2
Kinda agree.
"If PAC-MAN had affected us kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music!"

User Info: Canas_Renvall

Canas_Renvall
1 year ago#3
It's funny, because even though I play a lot on PC, I never could get into most of those genres. The closest I'd get into were point-and-clicks.
Play games, not companies.

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
1 year ago#4
I feel like mmos are not dying. And LoL is an rts. And pugb is basically an arena shooter. So the three biggest games are in the 3 biggest genres.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
1 year ago#5
RTS is still alive and well and continues to perform greatly, not sure where you're getting that it's dying.

MMORPG also alive and well, its just the #1 game isn't an MMORPG like it was in WoW's prime.

Point n click has been consolized and it kinda sucks. I'm not really sure Point n click was a genre that made PC great, rather it was just a good genre that could only exist on PC.

Arena FPS is actually more alive right now than it was the last decade, but the comeback hasn't really happened due to more interest in military shooters as you suggested.
"Myself I am a PC Gamer but I am forced to keep this side of me hidden because of who I am and my brand integrity." - dan_fs

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
1 year ago#6
Sounds like you're pining for the late 90s and early 00s, which to be fair was a great time for gaming on both consoles and PC.

Nowadays I'm not sure we're lacking any genres but it's getting harder to sift through all the crap or so-so games and find the great ones.

User Info: WhyWontHeFall

WhyWontHeFall
1 year ago#7
None of these made PC gaming great.

What made and makes PC gaming great is the unlimited power at your disposal.

User Info: Boge

Boge
1 year ago#8
RTS - never liked them, unless they're very slow paced, like the old Castles game. But they always make them fast.
MMORPG - Enjoyed them, but my friends gave up on them and I won't play alone or with strangers.
Point 'n' Click Adventure Games - Eh...I'd always get stuck on some puzzle and then just get bored.
Arena FPS - Crap, crap, mega crap.

So aside from the MMORPG, which needs some major overhaul anyway, I'm not a fan of these games.

Turn based strategy is still big for me though. I wish we'd see more of these. You don't get many of these on consoles.
With deeper knowledge and experience, everything becomes more shallow.

User Info: LaManoNeraII

LaManoNeraII
1 year ago#9
Total War is like the only RTS series that's still thriving. Blizzard is doing a good job supporting SC but where the hell is WC4? We'll probably never get an actual Warcraft product again.

Age of Empires 4 has me excited but it seems too good to be true
http://i.imgur.com/WQJlV.png

User Info: Hi C

Hi C
1 year ago#10
Genre's are dying in general on all platforms.
I5-8400 | ASRock Z370M-ITX | GSKILL 16GB | ASUS GTX 960
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. PC gaming is still alive, but most genres that made PC gaming great are dying...
  • Topic Archived