This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The Games Industry

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. The Games Industry

User Info: drbretto

drbretto
7 months ago#11
sherudons posted...
If I remember correctly there was a study recently that actually indicated piracy doesn't harm sales and games might get a positive boost.

Most people who pirate only do it to test then buy it legal if it's not a flaming pustule.

No, and no. That "study" is all in your head. Your justification.

User Info: Darkanagar

Darkanagar
7 months ago#12
drbretto posted...
sherudons posted...
If I remember correctly there was a study recently that actually indicated piracy doesn't harm sales and games might get a positive boost.

Most people who pirate only do it to test then buy it legal if it's not a flaming pustule.

https://gizmodo.com/the-eu-suppressed-a-300-page-study-that-found-piracy-do-1818629537

Yeah man, it's all in his head...

User Info: Chilly0123

Chilly0123
7 months ago#13
Simpsons predicted the future yet again:
https://youtu.be/Qause0z-9tM

User Info: sherudons

sherudons
7 months ago#14
Mmm, more people just commenting without thought...

Thank you for finding that report dark.

The clown saying any adult strikes me as the guy calling everyone kid as the go to insult.

I do that, I'm honest enough to support developers and games who deserve it, I no longer trust game publishers to deliver what they promise, fable/aliens just tore it, no more pre-ordering, no more on faith.
Former Meepo Of Gfaq.
Official Techies of Gfaq, sometimes it is not enough to watch the world burn.

User Info: Dragon Nexus

Dragon Nexus
7 months ago#15
It's true enough that 1 pirated copy is not the same as 1 lost sale. Never could be. You don't know how many people who got the pirated copy wouldn't have bought the game anyway. Nor do you know how many pirated to see if the game worked on their system or whether they liked the game genre before buying it legitimately.

Plus in some cases pirating the game is the only way to play it when publishers sit on a license and don't allow anyone to make more with sequels or remake the game.

It's less of an issue now with GoG and such, but it's still a problem with certain games.

Not to mention in some countries you simply cannoy buy the game legit, or if you can it's for a price well beyond reasonable.

I do doubt that the majority of pirates do it for altruistic reasons though. I imagine most do it because they're cheap...or because they like being naughty children...or because they want to "stick it to the man" (spoiler alert, the man doesn't care about you.)

CD Projekt Red found that the most common version of Witcher 2 that was being pirated was the one that shipped on a DVD with DRM. DRM which was patched out of the game a week after launch. DRM that was not present in the GoG version which would have been more easily distributed.

They presumed that people wanted to just crack the game and share it out there so their username could be seen on the cracking tool.
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde

User Info: Altair400

Altair400
7 months ago#16
why is this a topic
"i'm gay" - Altair400

User Info: fallen_acolyte

fallen_acolyte
7 months ago#17
Darkanagar posted...
drbretto posted...
sherudons posted...

https://gizmodo.com/the-eu-suppressed-a-300-page-study-that-found-piracy-do-1818629537

Yeah man, it's all in his head...

Winner by knockout
()___(_______()~~
PSN: Fallen_Acolyte XBL: Fallen Acolyte

User Info: Kenny_Mayne

Kenny_Mayne
7 months ago#18
I read that report. Its biased as f*** and should not be used as a credible source.
Original #1 seahawks fan est. 2013. Not changing sig until they move the seahawks, mariners, sounders to Oklahoma City

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
7 months ago#19
Kenny_Mayne posted...
I read that report. Its biased as f*** and should not be used as a credible source.

Nice alt
"Myself I am a PC Gamer but I am forced to keep this side of me hidden because of who I am and my brand integrity." - dan_fs

User Info: Number11_1

Number11_1
7 months ago#20
sherudons posted...
Most people who pirate only do it to test then buy it legal if it's not a flaming pustule

I'm "a pirate" and I wouldn't even pretend this is true.

However I still say most pirating doesn't affect sales. I know it doesn't in my case. I simply pirate games I know I'll never buy. Like witcher 3. I knew it was a genre I didn't like but the talk surrounding it made me curious. If pirating didn't exist I would've just swallowed the curiosity and dealt with it. Instead I got it played it for 20 hours and realized why I don't play those games no matter how good people say they are. No harm done in my opinion.

Or GTA V. I bought it on ps3 and ps4 when they first came out. Played online a lot. Decided to play the story. I figured why not do it on PC even though I could've played ps4. Again no harm.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. The Games Industry

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived