This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

do you believe the claims of steam being a dumpster you gotta dig to find gold?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. do you believe the claims of steam being a dumpster you gotta dig to find gold?

User Info: NightMareBunny

NightMareBunny
1 month ago#1
true or false steam is filled with way too many hitler games and garbage click bait
PSN: VV_Argost
XB1:GamerClawdeen WiiU: GothicNightmare

User Info: powderedonuts

powderedonuts
1 month ago#2
I wish steam had more games personally there's a lot of things I want there that I can't get.

What's a Hitler game? Like a game based on World War 2? Yeah there might be a bit too many games based on World War 2, but it was kind of a big deal also.

Garbage click bait makes me think of phone and tablet games much more than Steam.

User Info: kobalobasileus

kobalobasileus
1 month ago#3
Steam does have way too much s*** that wouldn't make it past a human curator on staff, but I don't think you really have to dig. You just have to know what you want. It's pretty easy to filter out the garbage. I'd imagine most users could add "Casual" as a filter, never see 60%+ of what's actually there, and not miss a bit of it.

User Info: LOLIAmAnAlt

LOLIAmAnAlt
1 month ago#4
yes there are a lot of games on steam that you will never know about

I always each steam sale devote like an hour or so going though all the under $2.50 games (Lately it's the under $1 becasue of the sheer amount of games) and Ive found some good stuff there.
lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

NightMareBunny
1 month ago#5
even though Jim sterling can be a rather ranting dork ball i do agree with his statement that the fact that super seducer can be sold on steam while consoles want nothing to do it and see it as the WTF PR Nightmare it is

shows how little valve cares about steam and what games actually end up on it...

User Info: LOLIAmAnAlt

LOLIAmAnAlt
1 month ago#6
Shows that they don't care about the pr nightmare and not how little they care about steam.

NightMareBunny
1 month ago#7
LOLIAmAnAlt posted...
Shows that they don't care about the pr nightmare and not how little they care about steam.

to be honest super seducer looks like nothing more than a sega cd game that take it's crap premise way too seriously

the creator of the game appears to be a dickbag on twitter too

NightMareBunny
1 month ago#8
some say since steam direct it's gotten worse

User Info: arleas

arleas
1 month ago#9
NightMareBunny posted...
some say since steam direct it's gotten worse

Well yeah, Greenlight at least meant that it had to meet some kind of criteria to get on steam. Steam direct basically says "pay the fee, get on steam, no questions asked until someone yells and then we have to yank you off steam". The worst part is that people take this as an invitation to do cheap asset flips and THAT is what hurts the steam store reputation.

However, I think the claims about having to "dig" for good games is overstated... Most of the time when I go to buy a game, I know the name already and I am looking for it explicitly. It's rare that I just go 'window shopping' for a game. If I do just go hunting for a game to buy, I might discover the game from their discovery queue and then put it on my wishlist (or follow it if I want to see more updates first).

Having said that though, there IS a lot of crap on the steam store, but very very little of it would be deceiving. You can often tell it's crap within seconds of looking at the store page.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
https://i.imgur.com/Po5TbWg.jpg

User Info: Death_Born

Death_Born
1 month ago#10
This topic is making my brain hurt.

Anyway, it's true that there are a huge amount of good, but unknown games on Steam. However, their search engine and discoverability are terrible. If you want to find them you have to look outside of Steam at indie communities.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. do you believe the claims of steam being a dumpster you gotta dig to find gold?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived