This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I finally ordered the parts for my new build, but I've got a question...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I finally ordered the parts for my new build, but I've got a question...

User Info: flame030191

flame030191
4 months ago#1
So I’ve been running a really weak PC for a while, using an AMD A-10 APU and 6.5GB of usable DDR3 RAM with a GTX 960 to make it less crap.

However, I finally bit the bullet. Since I was using an APU, my socket type was an FM2+, which doesn’t seem to have anything worth upgrading to while retaining the same mobo, so I bought a Ryzen 5 1600 and a new motherboard to couple with it, and to start off 8GB of DDR4 RAM and plan to transfer over my old GPU and HDD.

What do I need to do to prepare for this, though? Will Windows 10 see it as a new computer and require a new activation or even install? Or should it just start up fine once hooked together?

Thanks in advance.
Forgive me for I am a noob. I know not what I do.

flame030191
4 months ago#2
If it helps, I do have an external HDD I could back up my system to if it’d make the upgrade process easier. I just don’t know what I’m getting into with this tbh as this is my first major upgrade/overhaul to my build.

User Info: rareware101

rareware101
4 months ago#3
New mobo is supposed to mean new license needed. Who knows though as OEM is supposed to be the same (or stricter) and before 10 I'd reused OEM licenses across multiple builds.

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
4 months ago#4
You are supposed to be able to transfer the license smoothly if you have a Microsoft account.

Although nothing official, word is Microsoft's support is quite lenient for moving the license in case of hardware failure.

It's always recommended to reinstall Windows, especially when going between totally different architectures, but IMO Win10 is alot more flexible adjusting to new hardware than the older Windows.
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

flame030191
4 months ago#5
godplaysSNES posted...
You are supposed to be able to transfer the license smoothly if you have a Microsoft account.

Although nothing official, word is Microsoft's support is quite lenient for moving the license in case of hardware failure.

It's always recommended to reinstall Windows, especially when going between totally different architectures, but IMO Win10 is alot more flexible adjusting to new hardware than the older Windows.

Would backing it up to my external be recommended then?

flame030191
4 months ago#6
So I finally got everything together and put my PC together last night. Let it update and download drivers all day, and finally tested it it out tonight.

Running my Ryzen 5 1600 at standard 3.2GHz clock, 16GB DDR4@2133Hz, and my old GTX 960.

The only game to struggle that I’ve played so far is Forza 7, and even that averaged 54fps at 1080p in the benchmark. Battlefield 3&4, BO3, Skyrim SE, and Fallout 4, all of which used to struggle to keep 60fps at acceptable resolutions, are now running 1080p/60fps at medium-high settings flawlessly.

It’s honestly really nice to see. Feels so much better to play than even my Xbox One X does.

User Info: MrSprings

MrSprings
4 months ago#7
The f***.. your computer was exactly the same as my friend's computer before upgrade. The A-10, the 6.5 avail RAM, the 960, wtf. He even uses "flame" and some numbers in his usernames usually. Maybe you guys are a dime a dozen..
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist."- GC

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
4 months ago#8
flame030191 posted...
godplaysSNES posted...

Would backing it up to my external be recommended then?

Yes always back up
Corsair Carbide 540 White W10 64bit ASRock AB350 Pro4 AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 750Watt Thermaltake PSU Patriot Viper Elite 16GB RAM GeForce GTX FTW 1080 8GB
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I finally ordered the parts for my new build, but I've got a question...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived