This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best Headphones to use for Gaming & Music (PC)? $350 Max Budget.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Best Headphones to use for Gaming & Music (PC)? $350 Max Budget.

User Info: PsychoticFury

PsychoticFury
4 months ago#1
So it's my birthday today and I decided that I want to treat myself, but I have ZERO experience with quality headphones. I'm a PC gamer that enjoys audio, with a pretty high attention to detail. The best quality headset I have used has been the Sennheiser Game One's. I loved the audio quality, but they just didn't have enough bass for me. I'm looking for some headphones that have really nice bass and thump, but not to the extreme where it muddles the sound. I'm trying to find that perfect "middle of the road" option.

I would personally prefer a wireless set of headphones for PC, because I just recently bought a desktop mic and it would be amazing to not have to deal with any wires and just be able to walk around my home.. But I'm completely open to some wired headphones as well, because I've heard the audio quality is far better. But for wireless headphones, I've been looking at the Sennheiser RS 185 RF Wireless.

Right now I only have my motherboard to drive any headphones that I purchase. My motherboard is the MSI Z170A PC Mate (MS-7971) and my PC is about a year old or so. So I dont know if this matters at all.

Also, I tried a pair of Bose SoundLink's and while I loved the audio quality and bass, they just didn't feel powerful enough for me and I'm not a fan of the bluetooth connectivity on the PC, I'd rather have a pair of headphones with better drivers and amazing sound/power behind them.

User Info: xer2000

xer2000
4 months ago#2
Sennheiser has arguably the best headphone on the market. I really like their Game One/Game Zero Series
i5-3570K @ 4.4Ghz, Gigabyte Z77X, 32 GB RAM, MSI GTX 980

User Info: SeEyEeS

SeEyEeS
4 months ago#3
PsychoticFury posted...
I would personally prefer a wireless set of headphones for PC

But I'm completely open to some wired headphones as well, because I've heard the audio quality is far better.

Right now I only have my motherboard to drive any headphones that I purchase

It seems like you have an idea of what you're getting into but it's highly advisable to avoid wireless if audio quality is the highest priority on your list. Now, a great pair of headphones will also be a waste without a proper headphone amp DAC so if your budget is about $350, you might want to split it down to $150 for the amp and $200 for the headphones. Then there's comfort, great audio is sexy and all but if you get yourself a pair you can't stand wearing longer than an hour, you'll do what you can to not wear them. I wish I could point you in the right direction for real high end gear but I'm more of a mid range user so I'll have to just recommend Audio Technica for superb quality at awesome prices.
meDiocre MAchine - FX 8320E - R9 Nano - 16GB 2133 DDR3
ASUS Xonar DSX w/ LM4562 - Audio Technica AD500X - Acer KG240 144hz FreeSync <3

User Info: Kensik1

Kensik1
4 months ago#4
I have the Sennheiser RS 160 RF Wireless Headphones https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-RS-160-Wireless-Headphones/dp/B002SOU2Y0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1520377451&sr=8-1&keywords=Sennheiser+RS+160 They sound great and are very light I whare them for 5+ hours a day gaming. If I had the money I would have bought the Sennheiser RS 185 RF Wireless Headphone System. I went wireless and have no regret.

User Info: PsychoticFury

PsychoticFury
4 months ago#5
Kensik1 posted...
I have the Sennheiser RS 160 RF Wireless Headphones https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-RS-160-Wireless-Headphones/dp/B002SOU2Y0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1520377451&sr=8-1&keywords=Sennheiser+RS+160 They sound great and are very light I whare them for 5+ hours a day gaming. If I had the money I would have bought the Sennheiser RS 185 RF Wireless Headphone System. I went wireless and have no regret.

Seriously considering either the 185 or 195 model of those. How are yours for gaming in first person shooters, etc? Also, any idea as to the difference between the 175, 185 and 195?

User Info: Sheershaw2

Sheershaw2
4 months ago#6
I am not an audiophile, so don't read too much in my words.

Someone on this board recommended these, and I like them:

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHP9500-Precision-Over-ear-Headphones/dp/B00ENMK1DW

A review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aipXii-qWiQ
i7 6700k | RX 580 4GB | 16 GB DDR4 3200 | 1080p 144hz Freesync
"Lord, grant me chastity and continence, but not yet" -St. Augustine of Hippo

User Info: KungFuConcerto

KungFuConcerto
4 months ago#7
Hmm...

If you’re looking for more power from your headphones you might want to look into a headphone amplifier. Unfortunately, amping up a subpar source will most likely reveal its weaknesses (audio from the motherboard is prone to a lot of noise and whatnot, but they have gotten better over the years). This is where a dedicated dac comes in. Schiit Audio’s Modi dac and Magni 3 amp would be $200 (without shipping), so it would still leave $150 for a headphone. The Magni 3 has plenty of power, and the Modi is well regarded as being one of the best entry level dacs.

Another possibility is the Audioquest Dragonfly Black which is $100. This is a small dac/amp combo that sounds good, but doesn’t have as much power as the Magni 3.

As far as headphones with good bass, I’ve always seen the Audio Technica m50x (about $150) recommended. Unfortunately I’ve never heard it, but if you look at reviews, many claim it has good bass without being too overpowering.

There’s also some Grado headphones in the price range of $80 to $200, but Grados are kinda a love-hate thing. They do work well with the Audioquest Dragonfly Black, though.

Anyways, hope this was helpful!
little hearts and smilies

User Info: loader963

loader963
4 months ago#8
Sheershaw2 posted...
I am not an audiophile, so don't read too much in my words.

Someone on this board recommended these, and I like them:

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHP9500-Precision-Over-ear-Headphones/dp/B00ENMK1DW

A review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aipXii-qWiQ

For his budget he could grab the next up model the x2 fidelio and a decent sound card, which is my 2 cents. But he also wants wireless, so both of them are out the window.
I can be patient, but I'm not waiting!

User Info: dennis941012

dennis941012
4 months ago#9
http://v-moda.com/crossfade2-wireless/
3DS FC: 5214-9942-1912

User Info: BrokenMachine85

BrokenMachine85
4 months ago#10
Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7
Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI B350 Tomahawk | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 | MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 11G | 28" Acer Predator 4K G-Sync
Nintendo Switch
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Best Headphones to use for Gaming & Music (PC)? $350 Max Budget.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived