This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I'm thinking of getting a 144Hz monitor but I have a few noob questions.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I'm thinking of getting a 144Hz monitor but I have a few noob questions.

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
1 month ago#11
captsplatter_1 posted...
zhenghan posted...
@TC:

Best get a monitor with Gsync, then you can just set it to 144Hz, enable G-Sync and forget about it.

I have tried numerous 144Hz monitors (2x PG248Q, 1x S2411DG) I can tell you that it can be better to connect both the HDMI and displayport to them and just switch to HDMI when watching TV/movies, and switch to displayport when playing games. The color banding and light bleed will be significantly better when connected via HDMI.

Also, I wouldn't know if 144Hz alone is worth it. But my previous monitor was Asus VW246H which is pretty old and lacking crucial features. My new monitor is native 8-bit, is flicker-free, has low blue-light filter, has Gsync, 1ms response time, best in class input lag, 144-180Hz, 99% sRGB coverage, adjustable height etc. All of those features together though yes it makes a difference and will be worth it. But 144Hz alone I wouldn't have gotten it.

As for MSI or Acer, I wouldn't know. Probably Acer though at least there's the predator line I don't know if MSI even makes monitors tbh. The monitors I have looked at are Asus, Benq, and Dell though. And overall I recommend the Asus ROG Swift line, I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.

Gsync I find is a requirment. Never going without again.

The only thing that sucks about Gsync is the Nvidia tax. But I've done a lot of research regarding Gsync and Freesync and so far Gsync is actually superior technically. Freesync is getting close with some of their monitors but it's still not 100% there.
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
1 month ago#12
zhenghan posted...
captsplatter_1 posted...
zhenghan posted...
@TC:

Best get a monitor with Gsync, then you can just set it to 144Hz, enable G-Sync and forget about it.

I have tried numerous 144Hz monitors (2x PG248Q, 1x S2411DG) I can tell you that it can be better to connect both the HDMI and displayport to them and just switch to HDMI when watching TV/movies, and switch to displayport when playing games. The color banding and light bleed will be significantly better when connected via HDMI.

Also, I wouldn't know if 144Hz alone is worth it. But my previous monitor was Asus VW246H which is pretty old and lacking crucial features. My new monitor is native 8-bit, is flicker-free, has low blue-light filter, has Gsync, 1ms response time, best in class input lag, 144-180Hz, 99% sRGB coverage, adjustable height etc. All of those features together though yes it makes a difference and will be worth it. But 144Hz alone I wouldn't have gotten it.

As for MSI or Acer, I wouldn't know. Probably Acer though at least there's the predator line I don't know if MSI even makes monitors tbh. The monitors I have looked at are Asus, Benq, and Dell though. And overall I recommend the Asus ROG Swift line, I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.

The only thing that sucks about Gsync is the Nvidia tax. But I've done a lot of research regarding Gsync and Freesync and so far Gsync is actually superior technically. Freesync is getting close with some of their monitors but it's still not 100% there.

Biggest problem with freesync is it doesn't work with Nvidia cards. At least Gsync works with all games supposely.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
1 month ago#13
captsplatter_1 posted...
zhenghan posted...
captsplatter_1 posted...
zhenghan posted...
@TC:

Biggest problem with freesync is it doesn't work with Nvidia cards. At least Gsync works with all games supposely.

Freesync is on a monitor to monitor basis, not all Freesync monitors even support the basic 30-144Hz range, and also their low frame rate control is not as good either. And also they screwed up their first Freesync 2 monitor.
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
1 month ago#14
I wanted a freesync monitor, and I also wanted a 3440x1440 panel. I couldn't find a single one with a good range, it was a huge bummer. I just ended up going with gsync which I'm incredibly happy with (already had an Nvidia card, was planning on upgrading to Vega when I was monitor shopping but I didn't pick one up for multiple reasons). Most at that resolution only supported 80-100 hz which was pretty awful.

Kano92 posted...
Here's the thing though I play a lot of Battlefield and with my current setup I use vsync at 60Hz cuz I hate the screen tearing without it.

So does that mean I set the monitor at 60Hz or 120Hz ? I'm confused here cuz some people are saying double the refresh rate 60/120 and 72/144 why would I want to double the refresh rate ?

Thanks for helping me out

As far as doubling the refresh rate VS your FPS goes, there's not much benefit to it, but there's no detriment to it either. It's just a matter of not having to fiddle with it every time you swap between games that you can and can't run at 120-144fps. If you have vsync on and are only getting 80fps in BF1 as am example then it will automatically drop down to 60-72 fps, syncing to every other refresh of your monitor.

If you hate tearing half as much as I do I'd highly recommend free/gsync though. It's probably my favorite upgrade ever, it's so good. It can be expensive, but honestly I think it will pay for itself. It makes lower framerates feel better so you might be able to squeeze another generation out of your GPU where you might feel like you need to upgrade to keep yourself above 60 so as to not drop to 30 with vsync on at the settings you want to play at.

I'm still running my 670 4gb at 3440x1440 and I feel like I can comfortably coast out the current GPU inflation without too much trouble as long as I'm willing to game on medium-low settings.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I'm thinking of getting a 144Hz monitor but I have a few noob questions.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived