This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Amid Loot Box Controversy, ESRB Will Label Games With In-Game Purchases

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Amid Loot Box Controversy, ESRB Will Label Games With In-Game Purchases

User Info: GoIrish80

GoIrish80
7 months ago#11
So like 98% of games will have this label.

User Info: Canas_Renvall

Canas_Renvall
7 months ago#12
SinisterSlay posted...
You contradict yourself. You say authorities aren't going after them therefore it's not gambling, then say penny machines meet the definition of gambling but are ignored by authorities.
So which is it?

Yeah, he seems like English isn't his first language.

Point being, blind box stuff is not gambling and should not be defined as such. It's similar, but the inherent difference is that you're guaranteed something of some value vs. gambling, where you pay real money to see if you will or won't win.

Lootboxes, in this sense, are like trading card packs. You don't know what you're gonna get until you open the package, just that you're gonna get something.
Play games, not companies.

User Info: Dragon Nexus

Dragon Nexus
7 months ago#13
We need to get over this argument as to whether or not it's gamblimg, because it clearly isn't. But that's not the point.

The point is loot boxes and the like use the exact same kinds of psychologically manipulative tricks as gambling to push the player into paying more than they otherwise would have.

Sunk cost fallacy. Gamblers fallacy. An inaccurate assumption on how probability works. All of this stuff comes together to push the player into spending. Not to mention both EA and Activision have patents that explain systems within games to make players spend money.

Activision have an algorythm that will set you up with a much better player with a weapon that does more damage than what you have. So you think "If I had that gun, I'd be better" and you try to buy loot boxes to get it. Those who resist the siren call get to go back to the kiddy pool and play with the other non-paying scrubs until the algorythm matches you up with another dominant player with better equipment than you.

Not to mention the less subtle opening-loot-crates-on-Normandy-beach thing they did in CoD recently where you get to show off your newly acquired loot in front of everyone to make them jealous.
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde

Dragon Nexus
7 months ago#14
Canas_Renvall posted...
Lootboxes, in this sense, are like trading card packs. You don't know what you're gonna get until you open the package, just that you're gonna get something.

But the big difference is if I open a pack of trading cards and don't get something I want, I still have a set of cards in my hand that I can then sell or swap for something I do want. Can't do that with loot boxes.

User Info: LazyyAmerican

LazyyAmerican
7 months ago#15
It's s***ty behavior when you are already plopping down 60 bones for the game at MINIMUM.
You've got ten minutes. There's policies even your section have to follow
I'll be sure to forward your message to the president.

Canas_Renvall
7 months ago#16
Dragon Nexus posted...
Canas_Renvall posted...

But the big difference is if I open a pack of trading cards and don't get something I want, I still have a set of cards in my hand that I can then sell or swap for something I do want. Can't do that with loot boxes.

What does that have to do with anything?

Dragon Nexus
7 months ago#17
Canas_Renvall posted...

It has to do with this

Canas_Renvall posted...
It's similar, but the inherent difference is that you're guaranteed something of some value vs. gambling, where you pay real money to see if you will or won't win.

You argument was that loot boxes aren't gambling because you always win something of value. But the problem is the "value" is only in whether or not I find the item useful. If I, for example, play a warrior class in a game and pull a weapon for a mage, that item has no value to me. It might have value in and of itself, but if there's no way to trade the item or sell it or whatever, then it's not similar to trading cards. A useless trading card can still be put on ebay or traded with a friend or whatever.

Canas_Renvall
7 months ago#18
Dragon Nexus posted...
Canas_Renvall posted...

It has to do with this

Canas_Renvall posted...
It's similar, but the inherent difference is that you're guaranteed something of some value vs. gambling, where you pay real money to see if you will or won't win.

You argument was that loot boxes aren't gambling because you always win something of value. But the problem is the "value" is only in whether or not I find the item useful. If I, for example, play a warrior class in a game and pull a weapon for a mage, that item has no value to me. It might have value in and of itself, but if there's no way to trade the item or sell it or whatever, then it's not similar to trading cards. A useless trading card can still be put on ebay or traded with a friend or whatever.

The point is they both have some form of value, whether or not you think they do. Digital goods still hold some inherent value, no matter how major (games, movies, etc) or minor (character skins, voice lines, etc).

Dragon Nexus
7 months ago#19
Canas_Renvall posted...
Digital goods still hold some inherent value, no matter how major (games, movies, etc) or minor (character skins, voice lines, etc).

But how much value is there in something that is useless to me that cannot be resold?

User Info: nominturddaddy

nominturddaddy
7 months ago#20
Who is Lee

Oh Chris Lee the guy who posted a video on this that started with his wife/girlfriend/friend's daughter in a bikini and him walking around shirtless (which was hilarious because it had no relevance whatsoever lol).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W1hQHZedRSE
Some of my gamer cred: https://i.imgur.com/q7RXULk.png
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Amid Loot Box Controversy, ESRB Will Label Games With In-Game Purchases

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived