This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Symantec (Norton) breaks up with NRA

User Info: Tyranius2

Tyranius2
9 months ago#81
Callmege posted...
I keep hearing that Americans need guns to protect themselves from their government. Considering your government has the single most powerful military in the history of our species and posses weapons you will simply never have access to and which can obliterate entire cities in seconds... What exactly is it you think you can do to stop them if they're actually hell bent on doing bad things?

Remember Vietnam? Guerrilla warfare is very effective. Unless the US government is willing to carpet bomb its own soil to smithereens, it's going to be a nightmare to subdue the populace. And it's not the military that's going to oppress the people, it's the police.
Bolsonaro 2018
Fizz Buzz for life

User Info: cory1225

cory1225
9 months ago#82
OUberLord posted...
Tell me where in the Constitution a bump stock or a 100+ round magazine is needed.

Mental health is important, but there are some things that simply aren't needed for any "normal" use.

and even if banned, people will still get them lolololol literally it's like everyone in america has no common sense.

Heroin is highly illegal yet readily available at street corners across the country.

You can fabricate a new bump stock out of PVC pipe anyway or a 3d printer.
i5 6600k | GTX 1080 | 16Gb

User Info: Voidgolem

Voidgolem
9 months ago#83
cory1225 posted...

and even if banned, people will still get them lolololol literally it's like everyone in america has no common sense.

Heroin is highly illegal yet readily available at street corners across the country.

...which would take somewhat more prep time than just buying one upfront legally.

still not seeing the reason for mad defense of s*** that doesn't even make sense from a self-defense standpoint aside from the slippery slope "they won't stop there!" argument.
https://i.imgur.com/Uiyemc7.jpg

User Info: Dragon Nexus

Dragon Nexus
9 months ago#84
cory1225 posted...

Again, why have laws then? I mean, people are just gonna break 'em, why bother?
While we're at it, why bother building a wall on the mexican border? They're just going to get in anyway.
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde

User Info: OUberLord

OUberLord
9 months ago#85
cory1225 posted...
OUberLord posted...
Tell me where in the Constitution a bump stock or a 100+ round magazine is needed.

Mental health is important, but there are some things that simply aren't needed for any "normal" use.

If altering semi-automatic weapons mechanically so that they fire fully automatic is illegal, then any mods that do the same should follow suit. There's effectively zero practical purpose for such a modification to exist.

It still makes it harder, which is the point. Borrowing your analogy; sure, it's still possible to get heroin if you know where to look, but it's not like you can buy it at a drug store. It's also highly debatable that it is "readily available"; it's not as if drug dealers are selling it out of lemonade stands with signs labeled "Buy Heroin Here!". Any time you make something illegal supply doesn't disappear, but it certainly goes down and it becomes harder and riskier to procure.

Beyond all of that, what is your alternative? Going "Shucks, oh well!" and doing nothing?

User Info: Callmege

Callmege
9 months ago#86
Tyranius2 posted...
Callmege posted...
I keep hearing that Americans need guns to protect themselves from their government. Considering your government has the single most powerful military in the history of our species and posses weapons you will simply never have access to and which can obliterate entire cities in seconds... What exactly is it you think you can do to stop them if they're actually hell bent on doing bad things?

Remember Vietnam? Guerrilla warfare is very effective. Unless the US government is willing to carpet bomb its own soil to smithereens, it's going to be a nightmare to subdue the populace. And it's not the military that's going to oppress the people, it's the police.

North Vietnam had access to modern (for the time) Russian jet fighters, tanks and artillery as well as training bases in friendly nearby and neighbouring countries, material support from those countries, the home field advantage and the advantage of fighting an enemy who had never encountered modern guerilla tactics before. Some rednecks out in the woods don't have any of that. The moment your ammunition or food supply runs out you're dead.

And as its the police oppressing you then the military will step in to protect you so you're still not needed.

Edit: North Vietnam also had the benefit of having relatively well led, cohesive armed forces that were able to conduct orchestrated plans involving hundreds of thousands if not millions of troops. You have like 20 guys max in the woods with walkie talkies. You have no central command structure. Your enemies on the other hand are the most cohesive fighting force in history.

You're f***ed m8.
God save our gracious Queen, Long live our noble Queen, God save the Queen!
not changing this sig until we have a King - started: 30/8/2008

User Info: CyrusV

CyrusV
9 months ago#87
I support the Second Amendment, but the NRA has gone way too extreme politically with people like Wayne LaPierre and Dana Loesch.
"Be excellent to each other... and... PARTY ON DUDES!" -Abraham Lincoln

User Info: Tyranius2

Tyranius2
9 months ago#88
Callmege posted...
Some rednecks out in the woods don't have any of that. The moment your ammunition or food supply runs out you're dead.

History has shown that guerrilla warfare has been successful in thwarting invaders in a considerable amount of cases. The point is not to defeat the government, the point is to make tyrannical takeovers such a difficult endeavor that they won't even try it.

Callmege posted...
You have no central command structure. Your enemies on the other hand are the most cohesive fighting force in history.

You're f***ed m8.

*sigh* You're playing too much Modern Warfare 3. You talk as if guerrillas will engage tanks and helicopters head-on. And as if this sort of ordinance would even be used anyway.

Guerrillas use hit and run and blend in plain sight tactics. The only way you could snuff them out would be to further oppress the innocent, making even more people join the militia.
Bolsonaro 2018
Fizz Buzz for life

User Info: Darkking4

Darkking4
9 months ago#89
We already have a background check necessary to purchase a firearm.

What more reasonable regulation can you implement before abuse of authority makes it impossible for any law abiding citizen to defend themselves.

I will say that the NRA is a scumbag organization.

I support the 2nd amendment and I still say f*** the NRA.

So don't even say I support that s***.

You are falsely assuming that restrictions will make a positive impact. Gunfree zones are the places in the U.S. where most of the shootings take place.

More people have died to police overuse of force each year than to mass shootings. Yet you don't hear anyone seriously asking to disarm the police.

Emotional appeals are all that gun control advocates cling to.

The facts are that people are being emotionally manipulated into thinking mass shootings happen all the time and that banning guns will save all the kids.
That is not how things happened so far.
Restricting access to any type of gun doesn't even approach the mental health causes which are at the root of these tragedies.
Since you think guns hurt too much people why don't you ban cars first? Cars kill more people each year than all the shootings combined. Why don't you ban fast food because that leads to heart attacks which are another leading cause of death.
No one is funding any calls to ban cars or fast food because the elites don't give a f*** about the biggest dangers. It is always about taking the guns away from citizens.
If you stopped and did a numerical count of death by cause you would see how likely you are to die to various things before you die to a mass shooting. Yet mass shootings are the topic of contention. Does that not make you think hmm why do the politicians care the most about this cause of death versus much more common causes that claim much more lives?
GTX 970 - i5 750@ 3.5 Ghz- G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1600 - WD Caviar Black 1TB - Antec 300 Illusion- Gigabyte P55A-UD3- Antec Earthwatts 650W- AOC 21.5" 1920x1080

User Info: Voidgolem

Voidgolem
9 months ago#90
Darkking4 posted...

You are falsely assuming that restrictions will make a positive impact.

...no, actually. As I said at the outset, literally everywhere else in the goddamn world supports restrictions having a positive impact.

You, however, correlate "restrictions" with "outright wholesale ban", which is not what anyone is proposing. And you're not even taking your own damn argument and supplying evidence of such restrictions not having a positive impact, which is, in fact, an impossible stance to support to begin with because we've never tried any.

Darkking4 posted...

The facts are that people are being emotionally manipulated into thinking mass shootings happen all the time and that banning guns will save all the kids.
That is not how things happened so far.
Restricting access to any type of gun doesn't even approach the mental health causes.

the facts are that the guns being used in mass shootings are far beyond what any sane and reasonable mind can justify purchasing for any reason other than shooting other people or collecting. And we've done literally nothing to address that.

And don't even give me the "well fix the mental health concern instead" s***. Not when your party of f***ing right-wing lunacy is constantly defunding or vetoing every measure proposed on that front.
https://i.imgur.com/Uiyemc7.jpg
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Symantec (Norton) breaks up with NRA
  • Topic Archived