This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do gaming laptops break quickly?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do gaming laptops break quickly?

User Info: 32x2z

32x2z
7 months ago#1
So I'm asking because I have a laptop it's not a gaming laptop by any means, however it can run all of the steam library including gtav at 720p and r6 siege on the lowest settings imaginable. Not brag worthy but I compare it to having a gameboy for portable lower quality port games and nes for high end port games if you understand the analogy. I got a laptop cooler underneath it, privacy screen to protect the screen, vinyl decal to protect the exterior, and a keyboard cover to protect from spills. I'm mainly going to be using a wireless controller with it so I won't even be touching the keyboard during gaming. Yes I have a gaming computer, I like having games at work too especially if we're slow.

What causes "gaming" laptops to break down so quickly?

I have a 2 year accidental damage warranty but I don't want to use it till the end. It's not a good laptop, it's just a laptop that can hold all my games and play them on lower quality while having 10gb of mobile hotspot so I can game online. I plan on cleaning it often but I'm just asking because I would heartbroken if this thing broke since I can take it to work and play games.
OK so your saying it tried to use a blocked port, got blocked, and switched to an unblocked port while waiting for the user to respond? - Why I love Gfaqs.

User Info: Digital Storm

Digital Storm
7 months ago#2
The problem is what exactly?
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.

User Info: dunkis

dunkis
7 months ago#3
So I think the question you're really asking is what does gaming do to wear down laptops quicker?

A few things:
1.Data size: I think perhaps one of the bigger ones is that if you're using an HDD, you have to constantly fetch data from disk to RAM since videogames tend to be relatively large. Naturally, HDDs are mechanical parts which means they're inclined to wear down over use. I'm not 100%, but I imagine laptop HDDs especially are less robust. I'd highly recommend throwing an SSD in there if there isn't one. At best, you can catch a failing HDD early and transfer to a new drive. At worst, the drive s***s the bed and you'd need to submit it to a company that specializes in data recovery, often a very expensive process.

2. Heat: Fans, another mechanical part, it can also easily wear out which will then lead to overheating issues. Gaming on weaker laptops will push them to their limits, even if playing not graphically intense games/settings. Many games will tax the CPU regardless, which means a lot of heat and a lot of fan spinning. Luckily, sometimes all you need to do is blow out the fan. Sometimes it'll need replacing, though it's usually fairly cheap, though varying in difficulty depending on the laptop. Less common (though I've witnessed it happening), the heat transfer pipes will warp or just were never properly contacted with the CPU + GPU components in the first place and again cause overheating. These can also be replaced but might be a pain to do.

3. Power draw: Batteries/general circuitry. Again, especially for laptops not designed for it, there's a lot of power draw by the CPU and GPU (if it exists) to play games. This kind of use can be taxing on a system which, especially if made with cheaper parts (which many consumer laptops are made with for the sake of being cheap and even many "gaming" laptops can be made with for the sake of being affordable) , can cause it to crap out. At best, you can order a new battery/only play it plugged in and be right on your way again. At worst, the motherboard/CPU fries somewhere and you'd need to replace the motherboard, which means you might as well replace the whole thing.
NNID: TheDunc | Steam: Sir Soyeldimzelf

User Info: 32x2z

32x2z
7 months ago#4
dunkis posted...
So I think the question you're really asking is what does gaming do to wear down laptops quicker?

A few things:
1.Data size: I think perhaps one of the bigger ones is that if you're using an HDD, you have to constantly fetch data from disk to RAM since videogames tend to be relatively large. Naturally, HDDs are mechanical parts which means they're inclined to wear down over use. I'm not 100%, but I imagine laptop HDDs especially are less robust. I'd highly recommend throwing an SSD in there if there isn't one. At best, you can catch a failing HDD early and transfer to a new drive. At worst, the drive s***s the bed and you'd need to submit it to a company that specializes in data recovery, often a very expensive process.

2. Heat: Fans, another mechanical part, it can also easily wear out which will then lead to overheating issues. Gaming on weaker laptops will push them to their limits, even if playing not graphically intense games/settings. Many games will tax the CPU regardless, which means a lot of heat and a lot of fan spinning. Luckily, sometimes all you need to do is blow out the fan. Sometimes it'll need replacing, though it's usually fairly cheap, though varying in difficulty depending on the laptop. Less common (though I've witnessed it happening), the heat transfer pipes will warp or just were never properly contacted with the CPU + GPU components in the first place and again cause overheating. These can also be replaced but might be a pain to do.

3. Power draw: Batteries/general circuitry. Again, especially for laptops not designed for it, there's a lot of power draw by the CPU and GPU (if it exists) to play games. This kind of use can be taxing on a system which, especially if made with cheaper parts (which many consumer laptops are made with for the sake of being cheap and even many "gaming" laptops can be made with for the sake of being affordable) , can cause it to crap out. At best, you can order a new battery/only play it plugged in and be right on your way again. At worst, the motherboard/CPU fries somewhere and you'd need to replace the motherboard, which means you might as well replace the whole thing.

Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!
OK so your saying it tried to use a blocked port, got blocked, and switched to an unblocked port while waiting for the user to respond? - Why I love Gfaqs.

User Info: Izicial

Izicial
7 months ago#5
Gaming laptops don't really wear out any faster than regular laptops.

The only exception to this that I have seen are laptops with horrid cooling which most laptops have decent cooling. Besides modern hardware will throttle down to safe temps rather than ruin itself.

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
7 months ago#6
poor use and care, just like everything else.... I mean I bought a 5 year old model gaming laptop and it still runs perfectly fine
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you

User Info: CoinFlipBimbo

CoinFlipBimbo
7 months ago#7
That's good to hear especially people on this board are saying gaming laptops will stop working after a year or two.
http://i.imgur.com/v73OhsZ.gif

User Info: Shinkoden

Shinkoden
7 months ago#8
I'm on my third 'gaming' laptop. All of them worked 5+ years until I got rid of them due to eventually being outdated. Only one of them had some issues from day 1. My current one is from 2013 and still going. It's not crazy on specs but was considered a so-called gaming laptop of the time.

So I'm not sure what you're talking about though, sounds like yours is still working though?

User Info: ArkonBlade

ArkonBlade
7 months ago#9
I have one that i bought about 5 1/2 or so years ago. It still works outside of it just being slow as hell now. My desktop boots up and is ready to go in about 12 seconds the laptop takes about 3-4 minutes these days. It has a 7200 RPM 1TB HDD but I'd imagine a SSD would help and maybe even doing a fresh install of windows.

but it barely ever gets used. My nephew or friends will use it when they are over for some co-p games and that's about all it ever gets used for.
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ArkonBlade/videos
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade

User Info: Rand_Aybara

Rand_Aybara
7 months ago#10
Mine works perfectly after two years, I use it for development as well
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do gaming laptops break quickly?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived