This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Live in CT? Purchase from Newegg?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Live in CT? Purchase from Newegg?

User Info: thatfool12Gs

thatfool12Gs
4 months ago#1
Looks like the Deptartment of Revenue in Connecticut is sending out letters to customers purchasing from out of state online retailers (Newegg) who did not charge the appropriate taxes.. This includes interest on those back taxes as well lol.

https://m.hardocp.com/news/2018/02/14/connecticut_drs_moves_to_collect_backtaxes_on_newegg_customers

https://www.irsmedic.com/blog/2018/02/connecticut-newegg-use-tax.html

Apparently a few thousand tax bills have already been mailed out.. I know I saved a ton buying from Newegg lol

User Info: Master_Bass

Master_Bass
4 months ago#2
I like the way my state does it. You can list all your untaxed purchases or just pay a token tax depending on your income. I only get hit with $23 which is a good deal for me. It's a shame Newegg started charging tax for me, though.
Many Bothans died to bring you this post.

User Info: thatfool12Gs

thatfool12Gs
4 months ago#3
Master_Bass posted...
I like the way my state does it. You can list all your untaxed purchases or just pay a token tax depending on your income. I only get hit with $23 which is a good deal for me. It's a shame Newegg started charging tax for me, though.

When did they start? A month or so ago?

User Info: Master_Bass

Master_Bass
4 months ago#4
thatfool12Gs posted...
Master_Bass posted...

When did they start? A month or so ago?

Newegg started at the end of last year. I wasn't happy when they sent that email out.
Many Bothans died to bring you this post.

User Info: Killah Priest

Killah Priest
4 months ago#5
if I get back taxed I'm most likely f***ed.
The Infamous...
If you're one of us then roll with us.

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
4 months ago#6
Technically it's not a "new" tax... almost every state has a "use tax" or something similar - your taxes straight up ask you if you've purchased anything out of state that you didn't pay tax for, and if so, you're supposed to report that, and it affects your tax return. Lots of people tend to ignore those though, so yeah, in those cases, they could end up owing quite a lot in "back taxes" if an audit finds evidence of unreported/untaxed purchases.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

User Info: Killah Priest

Killah Priest
4 months ago#7
yep but who actually does that, good news is that I believe if it was indeed reported it might actually benefit me in the long run.

its weird, after a certain income its bad but under a certain income its not.
The Infamous...
If you're one of us then roll with us.

User Info: ATARIJAWA

ATARIJAWA
4 months ago#8
I live in CT but I just go to Microcenter. It's only like 20 minutes from my house. I never order online.
Gamefaqs game rating system : 10 = Best Game Ever. 8-9. Crushing dissapointment. Below 8 :Total Garbage. This is getting ridiculous. people agreeing so far 127

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
4 months ago#9
Meh. If the state I lived in tried that with me I'd be tempted to do the stupid thing and pay the taxes to the state NewEgg is based in instead of the state I live in on the grounds that that is where the sale took place.
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Live in CT? Purchase from Newegg?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived