This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Even if you can't see the individual pixels on 4K/8K, that's a GOOD thing

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Even if you can't see the individual pixels on 4K/8K, that's a GOOD thing

User Info: GoldenSun3DS

GoldenSun3DS
7 months ago#1
First off, let's ignore the issue of whether or not you can tell the difference between 8K, 4K, 1080P, etc. Let's pretend that even 4K on 49" at standard monitor viewing distances is impossible to discern the individual pixels (I use a 4K 49" TV as my gaming monitor).

Even if that is true, that's a GOOD thing. Being able to say the pixel density is perfect would be amazing. At that point, you just need to focus on refresh rate and size. The "resolution" of the display would then depend on how big it is. The bigger it is with a perfect pixel density, the more detail there is and the more you can fit on screen.

You want more screen real estate for multitasking, or just want an even sharper image? Just buy a bigger screen and decrease the interface scaling.

I don't know exactly what resolution and size is needed for "perfect" pixel density, but my experience with 4K at 49" (using it at normal monitor distances) definitely is not quite there yet, so there is still a benefit to 5K and 8K, even if it is approaching diminishing returns.

I still see a nice jump in image quality from using 8K supersampling on my 4K 49" TV in Breath of the Wild, so 5K/8K at 49"+ would be amazing. Although that runs at 20FPS with stuttering in menus, so I have to settle for 5K supersampled to 4K with 30-40FPS.

But keep in mind that's not actually displaying 8K. It's doing the work of 8K, but it's more like super high quality AA at 4K.
4K,i3-8350K 4.4/4.6GHz,GTX 1070 Ti FE, 16GB DDR4-3600, Gigabyte Z370, WD Black 6TB HDD, 250GB SSD, Seasonic F+650W PSU, Thermalright 140D, DeepcoolTesseractCase

User Info: blacklabelice

blacklabelice
7 months ago#2
knock it off dude
I cant afford a good vacation, so i'm just going to drink until i dont know where i am.

GoldenSun3DS
7 months ago#3
blacklabelice posted...
knock it off dude

Wish granted:
https://youtu.be/izRZxhqfk0Y
4K,i3-8350K 4.4/4.6GHz,GTX 1070 Ti FE, 16GB DDR4-3600, Gigabyte Z370, WD Black 6TB HDD, 250GB SSD, Seasonic F+650W PSU, Thermalright 140D, DeepcoolTesseractCase

User Info: yohabroha

yohabroha
7 months ago#4
Please leave the site
"Myself I am a PC Gamer but I am forced to keep this side of me hidden because of who I am and my brand integrity." - dan_fs

User Info: d209999

d209999
7 months ago#5
blacklabelice posted...
knock it off dude
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." - Theodore Roosevelt

User Info: mikey_205

mikey_205
7 months ago#6
If you cant see a difference then you're wasting gpu power and could enjoy a smoother experience fps wise.
Pokemon X FC 4940-6875-7569

GoldenSun3DS
7 months ago#7
mikey_205 posted...
If you cant see a difference then you're wasting gpu power and could enjoy a smoother experience fps wise.

If you're getting hundreds of FPS on a 60hz monitor, then you're wasting GPU power and could get a smoother experience resolution wuse.

User Info: Edavy89

Edavy89
7 months ago#8
GoldenSun3DS posted...
mikey_205 posted...

If you're getting hundreds of FPS on a 60hz monitor, then you're wasting GPU power and could get a smoother experience resolution wuse.

Why would you be dumb enough to limit yourself to a 60hz monitor though... This is 2018, not the goddamn dark ages.

User Info: strat10

strat10
7 months ago#9
Edavy89 posted...
GoldenSun3DS posted...
mikey_205 posted...

Why would you be dumb enough to limit yourself to a 60hz monitor though... This is 2018, not the goddamn dark ages.

Then buy him a 144 hz monitor. Since you care so much.

User Info: Altair400

Altair400
7 months ago#10
lol i forgot how angry this board is all the time
"i'm gay" - Altair400
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Even if you can't see the individual pixels on 4K/8K, that's a GOOD thing

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived