This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Kingdoms of amalur reckoning, is any good?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Kingdoms of amalur reckoning, is any good?

User Info: Chaos_Missile

Chaos_Missile
7 months ago#31
Very MMO-like, strange story,questionable. Pretty decent graphics and music. Combat is pretty great...more than great actually. I've played a few other games like it (Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga, Risen 3 to name a few) but I cant find one that has combat like it.

It's like that sweet spot between something like Dark Souls and Devil May Cry. Probably the only game of its kind where wielding a giant 2-handed hammer is fun and not slow and clunky(however much sense that may make).

I also like how it actually gives you a preview of how the skill will look like, giving you something to look forward to once you actually get it.

If there's only one pet peeve about the combat I didnt like: it's the fact that the skills are mostly bland and boring. Also, due to how the level locks between areas in addition to the crafting system, it gets really easy after a while. By end-game, probably the only thing that gave me some challenge were the high-leveled trolls. Not even the final boss was hard.

I played a jack of all trades and my end-game class/destiny iirc was Universalist, if not the one below it.
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008

User Info: Knighted Dragon

Knighted Dragon
7 months ago#32
Had potential but gets old
Proverbs 3:5 & Galatians 2:20 & John 14:6
http://i.imgur.com/heRqmfH.jpg

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
7 months ago#33
It's a good enough game that for $5 or less, it's totally worth picking up. Not perfect, but as others have said, the combat can be fun, and the rest is decent.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

User Info: SlashmanSG

SlashmanSG
7 months ago#34
During it's beta if you played for an hour you got a new armor set for Mass Effect 3. I had to force myself to get through an hour, couldn't stand the game. They wouldn't let you alt-tab either.
Fight Science with Wood http://i.imgur.com/MMRZgNi.gif
http://i.imgur.com/Um0p3xx.gif http://i.imgur.com/MIbbUHB.gif

User Info: sfcalimari

sfcalimari
7 months ago#35
I just got it on sale, been playing for a few days.

It is a bit babby's first RPG, and the music is pretty cringey, but there's something about it.

I've been rocking a sword that does about 70 damage, got to a tough dungeon and found one that did 100. Then I went to loot a skeleton that was next to a bomb and it killed me before I could roll away, and lost the uber sword because loot is random...damn you Curt Shilling!
i wanna walk out into the night
without it being running away

User Info: Spaced92

Spaced92
7 months ago#36
Glover33448 posted...
Do you play for story or gameplay? I personally kinda dug the story, but I'm a fan of the Seelie and Unseelie courts.

The Seelie stuff was pretty cool, the game after that is a drop off in quality though.
Geforce GTX whatever, i7 something or rather, some sticks of ram, an SSD and a Hard Drive with stuff on it.

User Info: good_mangorush

good_mangorush
7 months ago#37
Totally worth it for that price.
The Truth Has Set Me Free!

User Info: sfcalimari

sfcalimari
7 months ago#38
Just finished it after 41 hours.

I'd give it like a 6/10. It is actually really fun early on, the combat mechanics start out decent enough and the enemies are fun to fight so it's fun to go around doing missions, even if they are rather fetch-questy.

Then after a while the game just gets meh because of how repetitive it is. Combat eventually just becomes endless stunlocking--either you stunlock the enemies and cheese them to death or they do it to you. The combat stops being fun and feels like an annoying chore instead. It's not like other games where the combat system will evolve as you get more powerful and become more fun. Yes you get more powers but they are all kind of meh and aren't useful, instead you have to rely on endless stunlocking to kill enemies. I always find that if an rpg game's combat system isn't fun, it makes the game stop being fun. Skyrim's combat sucked too but at least the writing and characters were interesting enough to keep me wanting to play to a certain degree. This game is just as generic as can be so the writing/characters just don't add to the boring combat system.

Also the DLC wasn't that great, it's ok but can be finished quickly. Also a lot of the mechanics are kind of dumb...the loot randomness is just really all over the place. I bought a very good sword like halfway through the game and I never found any sword better than that one throughout the rest of the game, I just kept finding loot swords that were like half as powerful. There are armor sets I guess but the loot is so random that you'll never find more that one piece of them.
i wanna walk out into the night
without it being running away

User Info: LaManoNeraII

LaManoNeraII
7 months ago#39
I suppose you can’t beat a discount. It’s not a “bad” game but if you’re looking for a big, open, deep, rewarding RPG with a lot of content I would suggest Dragon’s Dogma or FF12 over KoA
http://i.imgur.com/WQJlV.png

User Info: it_r_over9000

it_r_over9000
7 months ago#40
I like the art style in the game, it's really colorful.
i7 4770k @ 4.5 | H115i | Asus Hero VI | Asus Strix 1080 ti | Corsair Vengeance 16GB | XFX 850w Pro Black Full Modular | 850 EVO 1TB x2, 500GB | Seagate 1TB HDD
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Kingdoms of amalur reckoning, is any good?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived