This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

New (travel) laptop painful slow performance 100% cpu and disk usage replace OS?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. New (travel) laptop painful slow performance 100% cpu and disk usage replace OS?

User Info: silvergokuZ

silvergokuZ
6 months ago#1
Comes with a bloated Windows 10 installation, and very outdated software despite it being a model of laptop only about a year old, weak as its a celeron but I wanted a laptop not a tablet with a detachable keyboard so I can stream when out or download on wifi when travelling and watch in hotel and also attach a wired mouse to it basically what many people use a tablet for but not limited to store apps, and with large storage.

Anyway the software was hugely outdated, it was something like firefox 35 on it, so had to uninstall and put on latest but due to 100% cpu usage from the terrible AV took about 15 minutes to do just that, then uninstalled AV which took about 20 minutes and put on ESET, then background windows app updates were 100% cpu and disk.

And I have many services running like Asus management stuff, and pop ups asking if I want free trials of software, removed a lot using CCleaner and cpu still uses about 50%

Tried watching a 1080p video on youtube even when cpu usage was low and it was lagging, then even tried 360p and it was lagging.

Shall I put a clean Win10 install on or use a older OS like 7 or 8.1?
The red car and the blue car had a race. Good old blue he took the milky way.

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
6 months ago#2
Try reinstalling Win10. Microsoft has its own tool to reinstall Win10 without the bloatware.

See if it makes any difference for youtube whether you use Edge, Chrome or Firefox. The drivers might need to be updated to get hardware acceleration working.
If the HDD is 5400 RPM, it will feel slow if you're used to SSD. An older version of Win10 will use alot of resources initially since it's searching for updates reaching months back.
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

User Info: JowyBlight

JowyBlight
6 months ago#3
If it doesn't have an SSD then it'll most likely have that 100% disk issue forever unless you know exactly what to turn off, clean install or not.
W10 just doesn't run well without an SSD but that never stopped MS from forcing it on every device even with that knowledge.

Your choices are either:

1) return it if you still can
2) buy an SSD if it doesn't have one
3) change to W7 which doesn't have that issue
"Riou...you came. Just like you promised. ...here we are ...here once again."

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
6 months ago#4
The old laptop I gave my parents has a similar issue, the CPU and CPU fan is always pegged at 100%. It's persisted even through a clean install though, it's actually the windows update service that's pushing it that hard. It does have an ssd so it's still mostly usable. When I disable the update service it's OK for a bit but before long it's re-enabled itself and the fans are screaming again.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez

User Info: Iceylemon

Iceylemon
6 months ago#5
It's the Celeron that is bogging down almost everything you do. Back a couple years ago I had a "new" quad core Pentium and I had the same issue. I installed an SSD and that didn't help much. I never would buy anything less than an i3 now a days for mobile computing. Get yourself a new laptop because 100 % CPU is normal for that thing.

User Info: Ciera

Ciera
6 months ago#6
Install a non-s*** operating system.
I'll... shave that cat.

User Info: silvergokuZ

silvergokuZ
6 months ago#7
PhilOnDez posted...
The old laptop I gave my parents has a similar issue, the CPU and CPU fan is always pegged at 100%. It's persisted even through a clean install though, it's actually the windows update service that's pushing it that hard. It does have an ssd so it's still mostly usable. When I disable the update service it's OK for a bit but before long it's re-enabled itself and the fans are screaming again.

I gave my parents a now 9 year old laptop (6 years old at the time) which I formatted with Win7 and it ran very well, during the win10 upgrade period it changed it to that, after that had same issues as now. My dad stopped using the laptop until I gave him a Win7 install disc at Christmas now its gone back to normal amounts of cpu and disk usage.Iceylemon posted...
It's the Celeron that is bogging down almost everything you do. Back a couple years ago I had a "new" quad core Pentium and I had the same issue. I installed an SSD and that didn't help much. I never would buy anything less than an i3 now a days for mobile computing. Get yourself a new laptop because 100 % CPU is normal for that thing.

It is new, but laptops are hard to find now without going expensive or going for a tablet hybrid often with something like a 32 gig built in storage with no hard drive.

I wanted something that has a normal hard drive and normal os without weighing a huge amount.

Already own a gaming laptop, and a older i7 one both heavy and large and a raspberry pi for indoors when in hotel.
The red car and the blue car had a race. Good old blue he took the milky way.

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
6 months ago#8
JowyBlight posted...
W10 just doesn't run well without an SSD

That's funny, it runs quite well on my bog standard 7200 RPM drive, noticeably better than 7 on the same hardware. Boots and launches programs etc. noticeably faster. In TC's case, it likely has everything to do with the combo of bloatware and a low-end CPU in that laptop, and nothing to do with the mechanical drive.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: JowyBlight

JowyBlight
6 months ago#9
silvergokuZ posted...
PhilOnDez posted...

I gave my parents a now 9 year old laptop (6 years old at the time) which I formatted with Win7 and it ran very well, during the win10 upgrade period it changed it to that, after that had same issues as now. My dad stopped using the laptop until I gave him a Win7 install disc at Christmas now its gone back to normal amounts of cpu and disk usage.Iceylemon posted...

I wanted something that has a normal hard drive and normal os without weighing a huge amount.

You already know the answer: if that machine won't work properly on W10 but W7 most likely will, there's no reason not to use that instead.
W10 has no added value for you if all you want to do is some streaming, but it does have a myriad of drawbacks as you've already experienced.

And honestly the Celeron shouldn't matter as your OS shouldn't be at 100% usage when you're doing nothing just sitting on the desktop, in that case it just has way too much going on.
Before Sandy Bridge etc. average consumers had far worse CPUs than even the current low end models but that didn't result in permanent 100% CPU usage when you're not doing anything.

Something is using your resources and if you don't want to waste time and effort fixing that (if it's fixable at all) it's much easier to just go back to a working OS.
"Riou...you came. Just like you promised. ...here we are ...here once again."

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
6 months ago#10
A modern laptop might not even have drivers for Windows 7.

Try a clean install of Win10 and update all drivers before opting to use an old OS. And if you really need to use an old OS, better to use Win8.1 rather than Win7,.
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. New (travel) laptop painful slow performance 100% cpu and disk usage replace OS?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived