This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

help me choose between these two monitor choices.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. help me choose between these two monitor choices.

User Info: monkmith

monkmith
6 months ago#1
1440p 144hz 24" TN panel with gsync or 1440p 144hz 27" IPS with freesync.

i've got a 980Ti, so gsync is a bonus, but i don't really ever play FPS games. really everything about the freesync monitor is superior beyond the fact its freesync... i guess the question is if gsync is worth sacrificing screen size and superior image quality.
People die when they are killed.
Among horse, Red Hare. Among men, Lu Bu.

User Info: loader963

loader963
6 months ago#2
I am a huge fan of g sync, but the extra 3” and ips would have me go the other route.
I can be patient, but I'm not waiting!

User Info: MasterFeeler

MasterFeeler
6 months ago#3
IPS > TN.
i5-3570k, 8gb, R9 270
i5-5200u, 8gb, 940m

monkmith
6 months ago#4
thanks, was leaning towards IPS to be honest.

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
6 months ago#5
I don't know. I find Gsync very important. Then again I can handle washed out colors, I can not handle screen tearing at all. What kind of semi sucked was the 24inch I got there was a 27inch version for the same exact price a week later at best buy back in November. Oh well I will have to switch to 1080p for a few games if I want my 60fps eventually and 24inch won't seem as bad compared to 27inch. How much screen tearing can you handle? Then again you could just vsync it and since you are not playing a shooter, the input lag shouldn't be an issue. Fighters, but that's best played on consoles anyways. Really shooters is the only one that gsync is really needed.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: Terantatek

Terantatek
6 months ago#6
You didn't even mention input lag or response time. Those stats matter a great deal.

1ms TN > 5ms IPS
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Xgsy6X
i7 7700k @ 4.6ghz | Asus ROG Strix 1080TI OC | Ripjaws 16GB 3000mhz | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus Swift PG278QR

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
6 months ago#7
Terantatek posted...
You didn't even mention input lag or response time. Those stats matter a great deal.

1ms TN > 5ms IPS

You would have to have the eyes of a super hawk to notice that difference
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you

monkmith
6 months ago#8
Terantatek posted...

1ms TN > 5ms IPS

mostly because everything i've read suggests that in many cases imput lag isn't a big issue between the two panel types.

http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/monitor-reviews-discussion/15713-best-144hz-240hz-monitors-1-0-a.html

yes, a 5ms IPS is generally much slower; its apparently a common occurrence for a 5ms IPS panel to be much slower then its listed. i'm looking at a 4ms response time monitor which has no real world difference beyond maybe the most twitchy of shooters.

User Info: HeliosMagi

HeliosMagi
6 months ago#9
The 24" would actually look slightly sharper than the 27" due to higher pixel density.
"I had a classmate who legitimately expected Mario 65 to come out."
"He ate glue."
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. help me choose between these two monitor choices.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived