This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

looking to upgrade processor, ram and mobo, suggestions?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. looking to upgrade processor, ram and mobo, suggestions?

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
8 months ago#11
Mad_Mike86 posted...
I would save that $500 and put it towards a whole new build next tax season. By then gpu prices should be down and maybe even ram.

RAM, ya no way, and I'm very skeptible on GPU prices going down. My tax money is just going into the bank. My build is done, and my gpu won't become dated for years.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: Mushroom87

Mushroom87
8 months ago#12
So no suggestions for a new mobo?

Its an ocd thing not being able to utilize the usb 3 ports on my case.

And a question about cloning drives, can I clone just the partition that windows is on and not the whole drive?

User Info: krazycharlie

krazycharlie
8 months ago#13
By this point in time, Intel is no longer supporting W7 nor W8, only W10. Neither Kaby Lake nor Coffee Lake and upwards have support for older Windows. As for AMD, I doubt W8 and earlier are supported either.

If you only care for W7, you'd have to look for hardware that support it. And then there's Spectre and Meltdown, which aren't likely to have better and/or further BIOS updates for older architectures, at least not a support as good as more recent mobos and CPUs.

Much as you dislike it, you need to move on to W10 or Linux, Mac or something else less susceptible of security vulnerabilities. Good luck.
"U mad bro?".

User Info: maybecalls

maybecalls
8 months ago#14
Exactly! Stick with W7 + FX 6300 + 1050Ti. You'll be fine.

re. USB 3.0. Is space really that tight in the case? I added a two port PCIe USB 3.0 expansion card to my motherboard, and the card is tiny. It only cost £7, too.

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
8 months ago#15
krazycharlie posted...
By this point in time, Intel is no longer supporting W7 nor W8, only W10. Neither Kaby Lake nor Coffee Lake and upwards have support for older Windows. As for AMD, I doubt W8 and earlier are supported either.

If you only care for W7, you'd have to look for hardware that support it. And then there's Spectre and Meltdown, which aren't likely to have better and/or further BIOS updates for older architectures, at least not a support as good as more recent mobos and CPUs.

Much as you dislike it, you need to move on to W10 or Linux, Mac or something else less susceptible of security vulnerabilities. Good luck.

W7 was patched for meltdown and specter.
Newer architectures work fine on Win7, just that microsoft isn't officially supporting newer architectures on older Windows versions.
DDR3 isn't an issue, but that CPU is trash and I have no doubt it's holding you back in some software. That said, DDR4 prices are s*** right now, and a new CPU will likely require DDR4, so holding onto what you have for a while is advisable.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

User Info: MasterFeeler

MasterFeeler
8 months ago#16
1050ti bottlenecking a fx 6300.

*smiggers in a corner*
i5-3570k, 8gb, R9 270
i5-5200u, 8gb, 940m

Mushroom87
8 months ago#17
maybecalls posted...
Exactly! Stick with W7 + FX 6300 + 1050Ti. You'll be fine.

re. USB 3.0. Is space really that tight in the case? I added a two port PCIe USB 3.0 expansion card to my motherboard, and the card is tiny. It only cost £7, too.

Theirs plenty of space in the case, but theirs only 1 pciex16 slot and 1 small pcie slot on my motherboard. And its designed in such a way that the fan shroud on the 1050ti covers the small pcie slot.

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
8 months ago#18
Can't get a classic PCI USB3 card?
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

Mushroom87
8 months ago#19
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Can't get a classic PCI USB3 card?

i already have the pcie usb3 card.

is their such a thing as a pci to pcie adaptor/riser?
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. looking to upgrade processor, ram and mobo, suggestions?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived