This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you need a specific motherboard for GPU overclocking?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do you need a specific motherboard for GPU overclocking?

User Info: HeliosMagi

HeliosMagi
4 weeks ago#1
Specifically for the upcoming Ryzen APUs. I know I'll need a B or X series motherboard to overclock the CPU, but does what motherboard I have matter if I want to overclock the on-board Vega GPU?
"I had a classmate who legitimately expected Mario 65 to come out."
"He ate glue."

User Info: wantfastcars

wantfastcars
4 weeks ago#2
I'm sorry that I can't answer your question, but I will give you a bump because I am also interested in this topic.
Now Playing: Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2
Now, let's count up your sins!

User Info: 32x2z

32x2z
4 weeks ago#3
Okay I'll explain this to you as simply as I can as I have some experience in overclocking APU's and gaming with them.

When I would overclock APU's, I would have to manually overclock the CPU and then manually overclock the gpu in AMD utility plus I had to tweak the bios. It was not complicated but a lot more work then what I was expecting. When you get your APU, make sure to dedicate ram to it so you have "vram". Overclocking in the AMD utility worked for me but this was YEARS ago like 3400/4400/5400k series ago. I don't even know if AMD offers overclocking APU's in their utilities anymore. October 2012 is when I started messing with APU's and I stopped messing around with them in 2015. It's a novelty till IGPU's become more prominent in the gaming industry.

I remember asking gamefaqs questions about APU's and all I could get as a reply was "don't do it just save for a GPU". I haven't delved into APU's since they were running BF3 1080p 60 fps but if they've gotten any better I say go for it.
OK so your saying it tried to use a blocked port, got blocked, and switched to an unblocked port while waiting for the user to respond? - Why I love Gfaqs.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do you need a specific motherboard for GPU overclocking?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived