This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I am willing to vomit for non-teleporting VR locomotion

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I am willing to vomit for non-teleporting VR locomotion

User Info: Bendetto

Bendetto
2 months ago#1
I dont enjoy 'teleporting/blinking' in my VR games. I will take the risk that I will be physically ill because I enjoy the visual experience that much more, not to mention every single first-person game I have played up until getting VR got me used to actual movement so the teleporting feels so wrong.

I played 'The Climb' got violently sick after 45 mins of play and then got right back to it. IDGAF, its fun.

Anyone else with me on this? I was so disappointed to hear from my friends that Fallout 4 VR's movement was considered "janky" and that alone was reason for me not to purchase it.

User Info: wizardmon

wizardmon
2 months ago#2
Same, I watched my buddy play Gronk or whatever that one is called and he was teleporting around like DBZ character ripping heads off.

I thought that was lame, so I smashed my glasses forcefully into the vive headset with the force of 1000 suns I have wide sports glasses to prevent tunnel vision while driving/biking, they don't play well with VR and changed it to the touchpad based walking.

Jumping straight into VR I refused to use the pansy ass portal-puck mode and got slightly motion sick.
I called myself a weakling for getting dizzy and re-learned how to balance my body & adjusted my thinking and haven't been motion sick yet.

It's probably different for everyone, but I believe most people can overcome motion sickness if they just try hard enough to get over it. For me, all it took was a change of posture to trick my body into accepting the new movements - if I stood and moved normally my mind kept telling me that I should be feeling Gforces when moving.
Why Master_Faust can't see any posts on PCH: http://i.imgur.com/Ns93rhC.png

User Info: protools1983

protools1983
2 months ago#3
Just play with locomotion for a bit, the nausea goes away. I use locomotion now always and it gives me absolutely no problem, can'y play any other way.
Glorious 4K/Vive VR PC Master Race
Gamefaqs PCH Discord channel: https://discord.gg/EmPEfdC

Bendetto
2 months ago#4
protools1983 posted...
Just play with locomotion for a bit, the nausea goes away. I use locomotion now always and it gives me absolutely no problem, can'y play any other way.

Yup.

Through sheer determination I got myself used to it and don't get sick anymore.

Oddly enough games like subnautica and redout never gave me issues once and I would play subnautica hour multihour sessions with no breaks.

Its worth noting that I am very sensitive to motion sickness and now have no issues after I put in roughly 5 hours. Got some headaches, but those pass.

Here is hoping that we get some proper locomotion system for people like us in the future. If anyone knows of some titles that do this properly I would like to know what they are.

User Info: ArkonBlade

ArkonBlade
2 months ago#5
Thankfully i don't get motion sickness. I can't do Teleportation and click turning. I probably wouldn't even bother with VR if i did have a issue with it.
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ArkonBlade/videos
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade

User Info: Ryzeki

Ryzeki
2 months ago#6
I only got a weird feeling the first couple of times, but imo it is much better to move via locomotion or hell "joysticks" simulation etc, like in Sunshine Arizona.

I don't mind teleport as much but it is less immersive.
MSI GT73VR - Core i7 6th gen @4.1Ghz | | 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4 || 128GB PCIe SSD + 1TB SATA SSD || GTX1080 || 1080P@120hz

Bendetto
2 months ago#7
I do fully understand this is a developing platform for gaming and can be patient. I am actually okay with games that have managed to rationalize the teleportation system to make it a core game mechanic... actually only one game so far did that and its The Unspoken, that game would be 100% different without teleporting and Ive yet to play another game that incorporates teleportation without it feeling forced or cheesey.

GunHeart gets a nod of approval for allowing you to strafe with the thumbstick on a touch controller, however it is beyond me why the actual **** they couldnt just commit and use the opposite hand's joystick to allow horizontal rotation so while they did okay (I can backpeddle away from enemies and still shoot instead of having to FULLY TURN AROUND and teleport away before TURNING AROUND AGAIN to shoot).

Teleporting is just not conducive to an intense and intimate FPS experience IMO.

EDIT: I am also surprised that FPS that require constant teleporting to survive dont make me sick as that unto itself can be disorienting and frustrating. Ironic.

User Info: DV8ingSources

DV8ingSources
2 months ago#8
Yes options must exist and the gameplay balanced around normal locomotion imo. If it means teleporting makes things too easy, so be it. Normal smooth locomotion is damn near mandatory for me these days to buy a game. Doom VFR was refunded immediately due to its dash mechanic.
4790k @ 4.6 | Asus Maximus VII Formula | H105 | 32GB RAM | 1080ti | 1TB of SSD | 6TB of HDD | Win 10 64bit | ax1200w | HTC Vive
Steam: DV8ing1

User Info: arleas

arleas
2 months ago#9
DV8ingSources posted...
Doom VFR was refunded immediately due to its dash mechanic.

Really? I didn't see it as all that bad. It's not like I was thinking "I can suspend disbelief at the giant monsters shooting fireballs at me, but I draw the line at a almost dead guy whose brain can dash around in a robot suit..."
Bendetto posted...
Anyone else with me on this? I was so disappointed to hear from my friends that Fallout 4 VR's movement was considered "janky" and that alone was reason for me not to purchase it.

Generally I prefer regular movement, but it seems like it depends on the game. Fallout 4 VR? Gotta have regular movement (and it supports it too). Doom VFR? No big deal really. As described above, it's more about it fitting in with the game to me. Plus it's somewhat enjoyable to telefrag weak enemies (I guess I like that because it reminds me of UT2004 using the teleporter to telefrag people.

Also TC: check out arm swinger motion in something like H3VR (Hotdogs Horseshoes & Hand Grenades VR). Since your movement is tied to the movement of your arms (and optionally the direction your hands are pointed in) it fools the brain into thinking you're actually moving even when you aren't. It might also help to sorta move your legs a bit in place if the arms alone aren't doing it.

There's also a neat demonstration of various movement techniques in VR on Steam...
http://store.steampowered.com/app/584170/ It's a bit more involved than the armswinger type.

Check that s*** out.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
https://i.imgur.com/Po5TbWg.jpg

Bendetto
2 months ago#10
Armswinging sounds HILARIOUSLY fun and I will check that out.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. I am willing to vomit for non-teleporting VR locomotion

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived