This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Skype blocked me and wants my phone number - a scam racket?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Skype blocked me and wants my phone number - a scam racket?

User Info: AuroraChiquita

AuroraChiquita
3 months ago#1
Hello,

I recently created a Skype account. Today I tried to log in and Skype/Microsoft told me that my account was blocked because my E-Mail account allegeldy sent spam mails/messages, and Skype/Microsoft wanted my phone number to verify my account.

This is strange and I absolutely do not believe skype/MS at all because neither did I ever use my e-Mail account to write an e-Mail, nor did I spam anyone.

I believe they want to get access to my phone number and use this "spam message" as a cheap and tacky excuse.
Has anyone else made the same experiences? Have you ever been blocked and denied acces to skype? Do you think this is a scam?

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
3 months ago#2
I can't provide links because Microsoft creates ridiculously long URLs, and GFAQs has an 80-character "word limit," and I'm too lazy to use a shortener. Anyway, there's information on MS' support page (Google it) for temporarily restricted/locked accounts asking for your phone number.

That page explains that you can submit a support ticket if you can't access your phone or receive texts (or presumably if you just don't want to give them your phone number). The phone number is just for them to text you a verification code. You can choose to use their support system instead. There is a link to their support request form a bit down the page from the top, in nice big blue lettering.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
3 months ago#3
KillerTruffle posted...
I can't provide links because Microsoft creates ridiculously long URLs, and GFAQs has an 80-character "word limit," and I'm too lazy to use a shortener. Anyway, there's information on MS' support page (Google it) for temporarily restricted/locked accounts asking for your phone number.

That page explains that you can submit a support ticket if you can't access your phone or receive texts (or presumably if you just don't want to give them your phone number). The phone number is just for them to text you a verification code. You can choose to use their support system instead. There is a link to their support request form a bit down the page from the top, in nice big blue lettering.

It would of been quicker to shorten the link and then post it then to type all that out
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you

KillerTruffle
3 months ago#4
Fade2black001 posted...
It would of been quicker to shorten the link and then post it then to type all that out

No it wouldn't - I type over 110 wpm. :P

EDIT: The second paragraph was already typed. It's just the first two sentences I replaced the URL with once GFAQs complained. Took seconds to type.

User Info: VoightKent

VoightKent
3 months ago#5
Just use Viber instead. Has less features but also much less bull s888

KillerTruffle
3 months ago#6
VoightKent posted...

And it'll let you chat with Skype users direct? Because if not, it's kind of worthless as you'll basically just be sitting there talking to yourself since it's absolutely impossible to get everyone you talk to to switch (because everyone *they* talk to would also have to switch, and so on).

User Info: AuroraChiquita

AuroraChiquita
3 months ago#7
VoightKent posted...

KillerTruffle posted...
VoightKent posted...

And it'll let you chat with Skype users direct? Because if not, it's kind of worthless as you'll basically just be sitting there talking to yourself since it's absolutely impossible to get everyone you talk to to switch (because everyone *they* talk to would also have to switch, and so on).

I've seen in the App description that Viber is used by 900 million people (though, I haven't heard of it until this week), so it might be not that uncommon. However, I think the monopoly of Skype is indeed highly problematic... I would like not to use it... ughhh...though, it's true that it has the monopoly...and it kinda abuses it...

And just by the way, I also made this post/theard on another German-language forum, asking for advice, and I've just seen that I was banned there, apparently because I dared to criticize Skype's approach.... There is truly no freedom of speech anymore in Germany ...

User Info: DivineWraith

DivineWraith
3 months ago#8
VoightKent posted...

GFAQS auto censors now, so you can just type the full word (s***) and it'll take care of it on its own.

User Info: thegreatandrewm

thegreatandrewm
3 months ago#9
s*** f*** testing:)
I7 6700k at 800 mhz feel the speed :)
i72600k 3.4ghz x12 ,12 GB DDR3 x60,sapphire 7970,1080 ti x20,1500w power supply x6.

User Info: VoightKent

VoightKent
3 months ago#10
DivineWraith posted...
VoightKent posted...

GFAQS auto censors now, so you can just type the full word (s***) and it'll take care of it on its own.

s***
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Skype blocked me and wants my phone number - a scam racket?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived