This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Trying to get into ES4: Oblivion and learning PC controls?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Trying to get into ES4: Oblivion and learning PC controls?

User Info: themegaman7

themegaman7
4 weeks ago#1
I'm a console gamer, and I loved Skyrim on the PS4 and Switch but everyone keeps telling me that Oblivion is way better, but this is my first game that I'm trying to play with the mouse+keyboard combo because I just couldn't get the controller to work right.

Now I'm using the basic WASD keys for movement, but am I supposed to use my pinky finger to hold the shift key to run, because that just feels completely bonkers. After the beginning dungeon my pinky finger is completely destroyed.

Also were those some DLC quest that kept on activating after I picked my class and after the emperor died?
"Cower before the might of the magic Imhullu: once forbidden, now unleashed!"
-Gharnef (Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon)

User Info: Boge

Boge
4 weeks ago#2
The good thing is you can remap the keys to whatever you want in 99% of PC games. The bad thing is, if you get used to something besides the normal WASD, you'll be remapping your keys for every single game you play. It gets pretty tedius.
With deeper knowledge and experience, everything becomes more shallow.

User Info: vlado_e

vlado_e
4 weeks ago#3
themegaman7 posted...
After the beginning dungeon my pinky finger is completely destroyed.

You may be placing your hand wrong or, alternatively, you may be placing it right but the keyboard mapping is not right for it. That's a frequent-ish issue with pinkie fingers and Ctrl/Shift - different people's hands reach a different one by "default" on a keyboard. Doesn't help that keyboards are also different.

At any rate, what you want is your pinkie to not require almost any effort when you press a button. More or less, when you lay your hand on WASD, the pinkie should just naturally lay on either Ctrl or Shift and at that point it's very little effort to move it slightly in order to push the key. That cuts down on the pinkie problem significantly.

You can experiment with placing your hand differently. More flat or more raised, angled slightly to the left or to the right. Although, worth noting - try not to actually move your hand but the keyboard - putting additional strain on your writs by manually holding your hand in a different position is inadvisable. Still, just try and see if you can get something more comfortable. If you have a wrist rest or something vaguely similar, then you can try with holding your hand raised on top of the keyboard. That's probably a bad description, as your hand isn't really high, just about a centimetre above the keys. It's mostly so it doesn't lay flat on them. Or you can actually place your hand to be sort of flat on the keyboard, which means you would be able to, say, press Ctrl with the inside of your pinkie knuckle and Shift with the tip.

Another thing you can do either in addition or instead is to just remap the keys. If Shift doesn't work for you, just pick another key that you prefer and, if needed, change its function to another key. If you have at least five buttons on your mouse, then you can even use those to map the running onto, so you don't even need to use your left hand for sprinting.
We do what we must / because we can. / For the good of all of us. / Except the ones who are dead.

User Info: AsucaHayashi

AsucaHayashi
4 weeks ago#4
get used to your pinky since it's a stable in most games.

of course, you can toggle run with caps lock so it works the other way around too(hold shift to walk).
http://abload.de/img/pcgamingxtuvt.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/9Yv0R2Z.jpg

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
4 weeks ago#5
Yes, left Shift is typically used to trigger run in most games. Many games (and Oblivion is one of them) use a stamina mechanic that makes it impossible to just run everywhere all the time, meaning it would be pointless to hold shift down all the time while you're moving. You'd constantly have no stamina.

If your hands are positioned properly, and your keyboard is not an undersized one (most laptop keyboards, for instance), it shouldn't require any contortion to use Shift while you're using WASD with your three other fingers.

Many games (I don't recall if TES games are among them) also have a key or option to have a sprint/run toggle, rather than hold. That way, just tapping a key goes back and forth between run and walk, so you don't have to hold it down. Often this might be caps lock, or again, any other key you choose, as long as the game supports that feature.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23

User Info: Terantatek

Terantatek
4 weeks ago#6
@KillerTruffle
TES games do indeed have autorun.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Xgsy6X
i7 7700k @ 4.6ghz | Asus ROG Strix 1080TI OC | Ripjaws 16GB 3000mhz | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus Swift PG278QR

User Info: themegaman7

themegaman7
4 weeks ago#7
KillerTruffle posted...
If your hands are positioned properly, and your keyboard is not an undersized one (most laptop keyboards, for instance)

I am using a laptop yes. I do have an USB keyboard stashed somewhere in the house though, so maybe I should try that.

Thanks for the help people!
"Cower before the might of the magic Imhullu: once forbidden, now unleashed!"
-Gharnef (Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon)

User Info: FuzzyJello

FuzzyJello
4 weeks ago#8
Caps Lock should be auto-run. Oblivion DLC and mod quests just announce themselves like that as soon they're available, yes.

User Info: reincarnator07

reincarnator07
4 weeks ago#9
If your pinky is destroyed from using shift, either your posture is bad or you're using WAY too much force to press the keys.
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero

User Info: KillerTruffle

KillerTruffle
4 weeks ago#10
reincarnator07 posted...
If your pinky is destroyed from using shift, either your posture is bad or you're using WAY too much force to press the keys.

Nah, I get it if he's using a laptop keyboard. I have relatively large hands, and it really cramps my pinky to use shift, especially to keep it in position for long periods. The keyboards themselves are compact, and not ideal for gaming on. My pinky would cramp up from gaming on a laptop keyboard too I think.
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Trying to get into ES4: Oblivion and learning PC controls?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived