This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My computer's overheating

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. My computer's overheating

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
2 months ago#11
it's either CPU or GPU, but most likely CPU. what you need to do is to clean the CPU's HSF.

but anyways report back with the actual temps, and we'll know for sure.
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

User Info: Borticus1

Borticus1
2 months ago#12
CPU went up to 100 C, 212 F. I'm no expert but I'm guessing that's bad.

GPU went to 66 C, 150 F.
"Your superior intellects are no match for our puny weapons" - Kang

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
2 months ago#13
Borticus1 posted...
CPU went up to 100 C, 212 F. I'm not expert but I'm guessing that's bad.

GPU went to 66 C, 150 F.

Ur cpu is overheating.
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

Borticus1
2 months ago#14
Well at least I know what the problem is. I'll try reapplying the thermal paste and cleaning out the fan, and if that doesn't work I'll upgrade the CPU fan.

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
2 months ago#15
Borticus1 posted...
Well at least I know what the problem is. I'll try reapplying the thermal paste and cleaning out the fan, and if that doesn't work I'll upgrade the CPU fan.

If that doesn't work you got to delid.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
2 months ago#16
captsplatter_1 posted...
Borticus1 posted...

If that doesn't work you got to delid.

Whatever you do, DO NOT do this
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you

User Info: Chass1990

Chass1990
2 months ago#17
make sure that the heatsink plate is making direct contact with the CPU when putting it on and that it's in snug. The most common scenario is the heatsink not being screwed/snapped all the way in and making full contact with the CPU. Assuming the CPU fan is working and the entire thing isn't gunked with dust, it shouldn't be hitting that kind of temp even with crappy intel stock coolers.

For the paste, you just need a pea sized dot in the middle and let the heatsink take care of mushing it down. Too much paste can be detrimental as well.

All said though, a cheap upgrade of the CPU cooler can do wonders.
MSI Z97 Gaming 5 * Xeon E3-1246 v3 * Noctua NH-U12S * MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X 11G * HyperX Savage 32GB * 850 Evo * Supernova G2 750W * Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Borticus1
2 months ago#18
Considering the upgrade. I also noted that FANIN4 was only going around 650 RPM. I don't know if that's my CPU fan but it seems awfully slow. I'll see if it looks good, if not I'll find a new cooler.

My CPU is an Intel i7-4790K with the fan that came with it. Any recommendations for an upgrade?

User Info: 32x2z

32x2z
2 months ago#19
Borticus1 posted...
Considering the upgrade. I also noted that FANIN4 was only going around 650 RPM. I don't know if that's my CPU fan but it seems awfully slow. I'll see if it looks good, if not I'll find a new cooler.

My CPU is an Intel i7-4790K with the fan that came with it. Any recommendations for an upgrade?

Are you wanting water or air? This may be a cliche response but the evo 212 or whatever coolermaster is making will probably suffice if you're just doing air.
OK so your saying it tried to use a blocked port, got blocked, and switched to an unblocked port while waiting for the user to respond? - Why I love Gfaqs.

Borticus1
2 months ago#20
32x2z posted...
Borticus1 posted...

Are you wanting water or air? This may be a cliche response but the evo 212 or whatever coolermaster is making will probably suffice.

Honestly I have no idea. I'm still new to upgrading my PC and I'm relying on advice of others.

I don't care if it's a cliche response, as long as it works. Coolermaster sells a bunch of compatible ones on Amazon for about $30 CDN. I assume that will suffice?
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. My computer's overheating

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived