This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My computer's overheating

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. My computer's overheating

User Info: Borticus1

Borticus1
4 weeks ago#1
When running a demanding game, my computer will overheat and I'll see lag/stuttering in the game. Obviously I want to fix this; it never did it before.

I've taken it out of its cabinet and sprayed all the dust out, which helped but it's still happening sometimes. Do I need to upgrade my case/fans? Or would new thermal paste help the situation?
"Your superior intellects are no match for our puny weapons" - Kang

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
4 weeks ago#2
What part is overheating?
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

Borticus1
4 weeks ago#3
Don't know. It just began stuttering, and the only thing that fixed it was doing things that cooled it down (ie removing from the cabinet and cleaning out the dust). But if I play a demanding game, after a half hour it will start to stutter again, so I assume it's the heat.

User Info: Chass1990

Chass1990
4 weeks ago#4
cabinet? I hope it's not a closed cabinet lol

You can run a program like HWMonitor in the background and run a game. When/if you crash and boot back up, you should be able to reopen HWMonitor and check the max temps to figure out which one it is.
MSI Z97 Gaming 5 * Xeon E3-1246 v3 * Noctua NH-U12S * MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X 11G * HyperX Savage 32GB * 850 Evo * Supernova G2 750W * Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Borticus1
4 weeks ago#5
Back of the cabinet was open, front is glass. Worked fine for 9 months, then started overheating.

Edit: It's on top of the desk now, better but still not perfect. That's why I wonder if the thermal paste needs to be replaced. I upgraded a year ago, and used the cooling system that came with the new processor.

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
4 weeks ago#6
Check you temps and report back to what they are... CPU and GPU
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you

User Info: miserablegamer

miserablegamer
4 weeks ago#7
Any dust build up in the fins of and fan heatsinks or radiators? Failing that, grab yourself a laser infrared thermometer and start pointing it at various components and see what their real temp is?
www.youtube.com/miserablegamer
www.twitter.com/miserable_gamer www.facebook.com/miserablegamer

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
4 weeks ago#8
I really hope its not the CPU, cause then you got to delid.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
4 weeks ago#9
Use HWmonitor or another program to monitor the temps while gaming

Open the side and check if all fans are running. If the CPU heatsink was really dusty, you can try using a thin object to remove dust that's stuck in the gaps.

You typically don't need to replace the thermal paste for alot of years.
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

Borticus1
4 weeks ago#10
I used the tiny amount of thermal paste that came with the fan.

I've downloaded HWmonitor and I'll see what happens when I run a demanding game.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. My computer's overheating

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived