This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Sandy Bridge is now 7 years old.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Sandy Bridge is now 7 years old.

User Info: SaiDucc

SaiDucc
3 weeks ago#31
I abused my SB CPU on my laptop (2011), OC and Undervolted and hella rendering encoding 24/7 on a crappy 525m GPU. And guess what, it's still runs flawlessly. Built to last.
Add me on STEAM/ Battle/ Uplay - SaiDucc

User Info: ArkonBlade

ArkonBlade
3 weeks ago#32
I have been on the 6700k now for 2 years as my main Rig but i do have one with a I7 2600 and 1050 TI. Still runs games well though could probably due with some better Ram and more of it. But its only a Test Rig and only one who ever games on it is my Nephew.

I would say Sandy Bridge still has some life left in it.
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ArkonBlade/videos
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade

User Info: JonWood007

JonWood007
3 weeks ago#33
Bitter.

I bought my phenom II build 7 months before sandy bridge launched. Sandy bridge became the new standard and is really only showing its age now, whereas my phenom II aged in less than half the time as much as SB has.

So I wait 6 years for a new huge boost....only to give in and upgrade with a 7700k.

Then 7 months later, again, I get blown out AGAIN with intel releasing coffee lake which is a good 50% better for the same price.

So...screw you intel. I didnt reap the benefits of sandy bridge, and when i upgrade, intel decides to get off their ***es and give us the massive boost i literally waited 6 years for.
i7 7700k | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | 16GB EVGA DDR4 | GTX 1060 SC 6 GB | 1 TB HDD | W10 x64 | 750W Thermaltake Toughpower | 1920x1080/1600x900 |
Huawei Mediapad M3

User Info: kindofagrump

kindofagrump
3 weeks ago#34
JonWood007 posted...
and is really only showing its age

a good 50% better

None of this is true for gaming or most normal uses.

Unless "not running games at 120FPS" or something is your metric.

User Info: spike_spiegel

spike_spiegel
3 weeks ago#35
Outside of wanting to get some marginally better performance in modern games there's no real reason to upgrade if you still have at least a 2500k CPU. Your best bet for an upgrade would be to swap to a modern i7 CPU if you're still using an old SB i5 CPU to be honest. Most games from 2017 favored i7's

User Info: JonWood007

JonWood007
3 weeks ago#36
kindofagrump posted...
JonWood007 posted...
and is really only showing its age

a good 50% better

None of this is true for gaming or most normal uses.

Unless "not running games at 120FPS" or something is your metric.

Dude, mt 7700k is now comparable to an i5 8400. Yeah, you dont get massive gains going to an 8700k in most cases, but gains are pretty apparent in some games. And the gap will likely widen to roughly 50% over time as games become more heavily threaded.

My 7700k is fine for now, but it's not "futureproof" like an 8700k is. And that's what I really wanted. A sandy bridge type monster that will hold me 5+ years with ease.

It's kinda like the 2500k vs the 2600k back in 2011 when SB was popular. Everyone went 2500k because there was no gains with the 2600k because hyperthreading didnt do crap.

Fast forward to 2018 and hyperthreading makes a huge difference.

In another 5 years the gap between a 7700k and 8700k will be apparent in a similar way.
i7 7700k | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | 16GB EVGA DDR4 | GTX 1060 SC 6 GB | 1 TB HDD | W10 x64 | 750W Thermaltake Toughpower | 1920x1080/1600x900 |
Huawei Mediapad M3

User Info: Life Sympathy

Life Sympathy
3 weeks ago#37
Went from Sandy Bridge to Haswell. I'm starting to feel old even on the Haswell arch.
We're surrounding you. We see you, but you probably don't see us. And if you see us, we're not letting on that we see you.

User Info: Snuckie7

Snuckie7
3 weeks ago#38
I’m glad I decided to go with an i7 all those years ago or I may have had to upgrade already. The extra threads have really proved to be useful in games that the i5 2500K now struggles in.
i7 3820 @ 4.5GHz | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | 8GB Samsung DDR3 2133 | PCP&C 600W

User Info: kindofagrump

kindofagrump
3 weeks ago#39
Snuckie7 posted...
I’m glad I decided to go with an i7 all those years ago or I may have had to upgrade already. The extra threads have really proved to be useful in games that the i5 2500K now struggles in.

Can you show me an example of the 2500K struggling where the 2600K 2700K or whatever is not struggling? Also, what are you defining as "struggling"?

User Info: LOLIAmAnAlt

LOLIAmAnAlt
3 weeks ago#40
I have the next year model a 3770k Ivy Bridge and I really couldn't tell you where it's lacking.
lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Sandy Bridge is now 7 years old.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived