This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Sandy Bridge is now 7 years old.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Sandy Bridge is now 7 years old.

User Info: SilentCaay

SilentCaay
3 weeks ago#21
Still rocking an i5-2500k @ 4.5 GHz. Runs great, even playing VR games. CPU improvements have slowed down a lot over the years.
The SilentCaay Channel - Shadowverse and other video game vids.
H3VR [VIVE] - Take & Hold Part 1: Skate Shooting - https://youtu.be/te-oXP638aw

User Info: Kokuei05

Kokuei05
3 weeks ago#22
I used my Xeon x3220(Q6600) until 2016. The reason I upgraded wasn't even for games, I upgraded so I could use VMware more comfortably. I was playing games just fine before and would be playing just fine now.
i7-6700K @ Stock | Team Vulcan 16GB 3000Mhz | Zotac 8GB GTX 1080 Mini | EA232WMI 79hz
e7470 | i5-6300U || Surface Pro 2 i5 || OnePlus 5t || iPad Air 2 9.0

User Info: Tekken9292

Tekken9292
3 weeks ago#23
Hardware doesn't grow as fast as it used to, though.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/TekDek/
If it ain't broke... they'll break it.

User Info: silver knux

silver knux
3 weeks ago#24
I'm still using a stock-clock i7-950. Maybe I'll get around to overclocking it this year though.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/silvex/Photos/Lego/SuperGate.png

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
3 weeks ago#25
Ciera posted...
terrible comparison. there's a near 10x performance increase going from the pentium 3 to the Q6600. meanwhile you'd be hardpressed to find even a 2x increase in practical workloads going from a i7 2600k overclocked to a current processor like the 8700k (even with the extra cores and threads).

I dunno about that. Getting the reader to compare and contrast two different periods of time doesn't strike me as being a bad analogy. Frankly, in a way it makes sense to do so if you're criticizing software development, hardware development, and market competition as Intel had more competitors in 2000 than they do now, OSes and supportive software developers weren't quite so locked-in-stone as they are now with little hope of breaking out of the x86 mold, and, yes, hardware manufacturers weren't running up against the physical limitations of the material and tools they have to work with as they are today.

Frankly it rather highlights how evolutionary software and hardware has been for the last decade and how little revolution there's actually been. It also underscores how little difference we're likely to see over the next decade if hardware and software development continues to be iterative/evolutionary without biting the bullet, saying "sorry" to backwards compatibility and old customer basis, and creating something new to take advantage of everything we've learned in the last 20 years.

Dunno whether or not it was the OP's intent, but this does spark up some interesting thoughts. Hell, just consider the software version of that comparison such as using MS-DOS 6.0 in the mid-2000s or Windows 95 in the late 2000s as opposed to still using Windows 7 in 2-4 years or even using Windows XP now.

I mean going from DOS to Windows 95/98 was pretty revolutionary for all that Windows 95/98 was a glorified DOS GUI in many regards, and going from the old DOS-based stuff to the NT-derived XP as a consumer/gaming OS was a real changer. At the same time Windows 8 and 10 haven't made the same sort of leap over preceding OSes that 7 made over XP, XP made over 98, and 98 made over DOS.

Just some thoughts. /shrugs.
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?

User Info: Ciera

Ciera
3 weeks ago#26
he wasn't comparing two different periods of time he was comparing two different pieces of hardware. the implication was that you wouldn't be using a pentium 3 in 2007, so why use a 2600k now. obviously the answer to that is as i (and others) plainly pointed out is the jump in performance between 2000 and 2007 and 2011 and now. progresses in performance have ground to a halt since then. explanation for the change in rate of progress, as you discussed (i.e. competition) is a completely *different* topic.
I'll... shave that cat.

User Info: Perfect Zeratul

Perfect Zeratul
3 weeks ago#27
SnakePlisken94 posted...
My 3930k still runs every game just fine at 60fps.
God gave man a brain and a ****. Too bad he didn't give us enough blood to use them both @ the same time....

User Info: CriticalFury

CriticalFury
3 weeks ago#28
I'm still rocking my 2600k just fine from 2011 with a slight oc at 4.2. The only thing i've change over the years was the graphics card from an hd 6970 to an rx480 8gb. It's kinda expensive to upgrade anyway at the moment. The games i usually play don't require too much of my system and still run them fine at 60fps.
"They say I can't lose, I say you can't win."- Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!

User Info: Solid Sonic

Solid Sonic
3 weeks ago#29
My secondary gaming PC is an Ivy Bridge series CPU but that's the closest I ever had to a Sandy Bridge.

My main gaming PC went from a Lynnfield to a Haswell.
The only game reviewers who can be trusted are those who publish in Latin or Swahili.

User Info: Otimus

Otimus
3 weeks ago#30
It's insane, and kind of depressing, but also kind of amazing, that Sandy Bridge is still totally relevant today.

I went from a 2500K to a 7700K last year, but only because my PC was having problems. If that weren't the case, I'd still be using it and if I'm being honest, in most of my use cases, I've barely noticed the difference.

Things are going to really need to shoot higher in the CPU and GPU space. Especially in the $200-300 range, for the both of them.
Now Playing
Persona 4: Golden (Vita), Wolfenstein II (PC)
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Sandy Bridge is now 7 years old.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived