This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How much memory usage should I have at idle?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How much memory usage should I have at idle?

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
6 months ago#11
2UpShroom posted...
So If Im playing a game it will use most of the RAM resources on the game instead of the background tasks?

if its played in full screen yes
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you

User Info: arleas

arleas
6 months ago#12
When playing a game full screen it will put the stuff that doesn't fit into the page file. That takes up some time (which accounts for most of the time taken up when alt-tabbing to the desktop as it swaps stuff to page file and back).

You can always improve performance by killing unnecessary processes. In fact a lot of the "game booster" software just basically went through and killed processes that weren't necessary for your game playing (and maybe started them back up when you exited the game).

However unless you're really cutting it close, it shouldn't be that necessary to do that. Back in the 32 bit Windows XP days, I used to run a batch file that would kill a bunch of processes to maximize my memory for game playing. thank goodness I don't have to do that anymore.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
https://i.imgur.com/Po5TbWg.jpg

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
6 months ago#13
MasterFeeler posted...
Yeah, memory is supposed to be used. As long as it's not in the 80s to 100%. You're fine.

You're not always fine even then. I had Windows 7 whining about not enough memory and needing to close programs despite claiming to only be using about 75% of available RAM.

Fade2black001 posted...
2UpShroom posted...
So If Im playing a game it will use most of the RAM resources on the game instead of the background tasks?

if its played in full screen yes

System configuration might have an effect on that. Running games in full screen yielded no performance boost over windowed modes when I was running an HD6870 and a GTS 450 in my system It wouldn't surprise me if that had an impact on how Windows managed memory as well.

arleas posted...
When playing a game full screen it will put the stuff that doesn't fit into the page file. That takes up some time (which accounts for most of the time taken up when alt-tabbing to the desktop as it swaps stuff to page file and back).

It can also force you to reboot your system to fully recover if too much gets dumped into a page file. This was especially bad under Windows XP, but I've had a few instances under 7 of seeing things like Firefox getting dumped into the page file and then "thrashing" as it seems to use the page file for anything and everything from that point onward until I reboot my system. Dunno what it is, but Windows seems patently incapable of not using the page file for virtual memory after it's no longer necessary at times.
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?

User Info: Garquill

Garquill
6 months ago#14
RAM is juggled around based on demands/priorities
i.e. you may notice your browser's RAM usage can decrease a lot if other things begin to compete for remaining RAM
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~ A. Einstein
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. How much memory usage should I have at idle?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived