This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Did anyone else sell their GPU to make a bit of a profit off the current prices?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Did anyone else sell their GPU to make a bit of a profit off the current prices?

User Info: Teen Girl Squad

Teen Girl Squad
6 months ago#31
Tropicalwood posted...
I always sell my house and get a new one when the prices are high.

Haha. Yup. I mean this is an extraordinary market but ultimately the original point remains. If you have a mining worthy GPU to sell, you most likely had the disposable income to purchase a (relatively) premium GPU for a hobby than can be done cheaper (lower spec'd games, consoles), so the few hundred dollar profit isn't that game changing vs not being able to game/severely reducing the quality for what maybe several years. You'll probably waste that money chasing something to do to replace your PC gaming habit.
"Rest of league playing checkers, Chargers playing E-Sports." Drug_Smoker.

User Info: blacklabelice

blacklabelice
6 months ago#32
GoldenSun3DS posted...
ClunkerSlim posted...
GoldenSun3DS posted...
I bought my Zotac GTX 1060 6GB for $240 November 28th, and just sold it on Craigslist for $300.

Are you f***ing kidding me?

After all the work you (and the people in the forum) put into your PC to get it working, you dismantled the thing for $60? You could have just saved the $60 by buying cheaper memory in the first place! You now have like a $1200 computer to play Super Mario Brothers on, but thank freakin God that you got that 60 bucks back. Do you have a screw loose?

Relax lol I'm going to buy a better GPU.
I really sold it more so that I could get rid of it while it was worth more than for the profit.

I'm thinking about the 1070 Ti once prices calm down or if I can snag one when they come in stock before they get sold out.

why would u even wait for that by the time prices come down the next series will be out. and then of course theyll all get bought out too. ur gonna be waiting a hell of a long time before u get something where youre wallet isnt getting f***ed. hope it was worth it for $60
I cant afford a good vacation, so i'm just going to drink until i dont know where i am.

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
6 months ago#33
My pc appreciated in value after i bought it in 2014.
$1600 cdn for a setup with an ssd, 970, and 4790k.
2018 and it's still worth $1300. Only slightly down from last year. Cdn rupees and miners have made prices crazy high.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: mucloud

mucloud
6 months ago#34
No I generally keep the old one for a backup.
Corsair Carbide 540 White W10 64bit ASRock AB350 Pro4 AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 750Watt Thermaltake PSU Patriot Viper Elite 16GB RAM XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB

User Info: R_Jackal

R_Jackal
6 months ago#35
Got ahold of a MSRP 1070ti, sold my old gpu for 900. Bought it for 3 back when. Made a decent bit of profit and upgraded my pc.

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
6 months ago#36
ClunkerSlim posted...
GoldenSun3DS posted...
I bought my Zotac GTX 1060 6GB for $240 November 28th, and just sold it on Craigslist for $300.

Are you f***ing kidding me?

After all the work you (and the people in the forum) put into your PC to get it working, you dismantled the thing for $60? You could have just saved the $60 by buying cheaper memory in the first place! You now have like a $1200 computer to play Super Mario Brothers on, but thank freakin God that you got that 60 bucks back. Do you have a screw loose?

This is GoldenSun3DS - he also put an i3 and a 1060 in a "4K" machine, that should tell you everything you need to know about his judgement.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: Killah Priest

Killah Priest
6 months ago#37
I considered it, I have a matrix 290x sitting around doing nothing and 2 x RX480s that are underwhelming and I've wanted to ditch since I got them.

still can't do it, can't bring myself to profit off of another person like that... I'd want to give them a deal instead.

Already have so much negative karma from my years as a street pharmacist nickle and diming motherf***ers I got a bit of guilt built up.
The Infamous...
If you're one of us then roll with us.

User Info: GoldenSun3DS

GoldenSun3DS
6 months ago#38
Killah Priest posted...
I considered it, I have a matrix 290x sitting around doing nothing and 2 x RX480s that are underwhelming and I've wanted to ditch since I got them.

still can't do it, can't bring myself to profit off of another person like that... I'd want to give them a deal instead.

Already have so much negative karma from my years as a street pharmacist nickle and diming motherf***ers I got a bit of guilt built up.

You could sell it just a bit over the "old" prices like I did.
I sold my Zotac GTX 1060 6GB for $300 and I had bought it for $240. That specific card was going for $500+, but the cheapest 1060 6GB at the time was $350.

I've now just bought (placed the order) GTX 1070 Ti directly from NVidia for $450.
4K,i3-8350K 4.5/4.7GHz,GTX 1070 Ti FE, 16GB DDR4-3600, Gigabyte Z370, WD Black 6TB HDD, 250GB SSD, Seasonic F+650W PSU, Thermalright 140D, DeepcoolTesseractCase

User Info: Killah Priest

Killah Priest
6 months ago#39
Yea I know but even nickle and diming people nowadays makes me feel a bit guilty.

I'd have to sell the RX480s for 100 a piece or I'd feel like a scumbag.
The Infamous...
If you're one of us then roll with us.

User Info: Knighted Dragon

Knighted Dragon
6 months ago#40
I sold my 390 when I bought my 1080ti in June. I sold my 390 for as much as I paid for it new (like $350 IIRC) like 18 months prior, and got my 1080 TI for $550 new

I could likely turn quite a profit if I sold my 1080 TI now, but then I'd have to buy something else to game with anyway, so there's no logic to selling
Proverbs 3:5 & Galatians 2:20 & John 14:6
http://i.imgur.com/heRqmfH.jpg
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Did anyone else sell their GPU to make a bit of a profit off the current prices?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived