This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do reviewers refuse to talk about the actual gameplay mechanics ever

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do reviewers refuse to talk about the actual gameplay mechanics ever

User Info: bubbub01

bubbub01
4 months ago#41
OUberLord posted...
It can be a difficult needle to thread. Depending on outlet there may be a word count limit, a style guide, or something else that makes it so a review may not go into express detail into something.

A lot of people just don't do this though. Most of them think comments are cancer and refuse to look at them (though there are definitely some bad apples in there).

I use to make reviews too. I also loved it when people said stuff in the comments. I never got more than 30 subscribers, but I apreciated every interaction I got. I don't I ever got someone trying to be an ass.

I'm kind of tempted to make a new channel that focuses strictly on mechanics of games. I think being a reviewer is just to hard starting out because you need to get your stuff our early (which involves binging through the game and writing a review that you've bearly had time to get your thoughts together), or do like a two hour analysis or something.

I don't think there's anyone that talks strictly about mechanics. Maybe that would be a good niche to carve out.

User Info: speedforce131

speedforce131
4 months ago#42
GeminiX7 posted...
The amount of time you actually get to review games is actually pretty small, and while you may be able to breeze through a game if your a "pro" fairly quickly, it still might not be enough time to go into detail with the things you are asking for, like an evaluation on game mechanics and feel.

I disagree. I can couch review games & nail it with insane accuracy. It can be done within a limited time period. If one understands the genre, past titles, where the games came from and where they're going, pumping out a quality review within a limited time frame is a cakewalk.

User Info: chase1234life

chase1234life
4 months ago#43
GeminiX7 posted...

That might be worth it for more focused publications(like ones that specifically cater to the "hardcore" demographic) but might be a bit much to expect from your average publication or even gaming focused ones that still sell to larger groups than just a core audience, such as Game Informer.

Actually, I tend to believe that Game Informer is probably the best publication out there for gaming. While they get a bad reputation for being under the umbrella of GameStop, I think if people looked beyond that and actually read some of their stuff, they would be legit amazed.

I mean, just as an example, I clicked on the first review that they had up (most recent as I post this)

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/lost_sphear/b/playstation4/archive/2018/01/23/lost-sphear-review-misplaced-nostalgia.aspx

3/4ths of that review is talking strictly game mechanics and little if nothing else. And Game Informer is good about that. They hire writers that actually have played video games throughout life, so they're getting people that understand them, and they also hire good journalists as well. The one problem they have though, is that they tend hand out review jobs to people that overly love certain genres and series, and can be not as harsh as they should on certain games; not because of an agenda, but because they're too forgiving.

And there are plenty of other good review sites and reviewers as well; more often than not in fact. So I'm not certain where these accusations are exactly coming from.
https://twitter.com/Chase_WolfBTG https://www.twitch.tv/chasewolfbtg
J.O.B. Squad 4 life

speedforce131
4 months ago#44
chase1234life posted...
So I'm not certain where these accusations are exactly coming from.

It's mostly speaking in general. If there were no good reviewers then Metacritic would not work. Metacritic does work and if you pay close enough attention, you can see where the good reviewers and sites are.

User Info: bubbub01

bubbub01
4 months ago#45
speedforce131 posted...
GeminiX7 posted...
The amount of time you actually get to review games is actually pretty small, and while you may be able to breeze through a game if your a "pro" fairly quickly, it still might not be enough time to go into detail with the things you are asking for, like an evaluation on game mechanics and feel.

I disagree. I can couch review games & nail it with insane accuracy. It can be done within a limited time period. If one understands the genre, past titles, where the games came from and where they're going, pumping out a quality review within a limited time frame is a cakewalk.

Depends. Writing a decent script takes like maybe an hour. Editing takes like 5+ for like an 8 mintue video. Playing the game also takes a while.

speedforce131
4 months ago#46
bubbub01 posted...
speedforce131 posted...
GeminiX7 posted...

Depends. Writing a decent script takes like maybe an hour. Editing takes like 5+ for like an 8 mintue video. Playing the game also takes a while.

Eh. I guess I'm old. Perhaps streamlining the process is in order.

User Info: Spinder1

Spinder1
4 months ago#47
bubbub01 posted...
I don't think there's anyone that talks strictly about mechanics. Maybe that would be a good niche to carve out.

He isn't a professional reviewer and doesn't only do reviews, but there's a guy I follow who focuses purely on mechanics and is good at talking about them for a variety of games. Has a huge amount of articles and even more simpler questions on an ask.fm page.

https://critpoints.net/
Let him be king over charred bones and cooked meat. Let him be the king of ashes

User Info: LOLIAmAnAlt

LOLIAmAnAlt
4 months ago#48
I miss the reviews in the 90's
While I only had one issue (and one of the reboot), GameFan was amazing.
Basically because the dude in charge really liked video games. He loved everything and it was awesome.
lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

User Info: tslu

tslu
4 months ago#49
have u seen angry joe play cup head and dbfz? one of the biggest youtube reviewer doesnt understand basic fighting game block mechanics and cant kill a single boss in the second world of cuphead. He acts like he knows what he's doing which makes it even worse becuase it gives casual gamers the wrong idea of certain game mechanics.

a lot of them dont talk about gameplay because they are casual and are reviewing it for casuals. talking about gameplay requires actually time and effort. most core/hardcore gamers know better then to take any review too seriously.

ACG is one of the few that i like because he completes his games and tries multiple difficulties instead of just casual mode like most media people. You can tell he actually plays and completes the game and understands gameplay mechanics.

User Info: sherudons

sherudons
4 months ago#50
bubbub01 posted...
Cuphead:
Every Reviewer: OMG THE ART STYLE. EVERY ENEMY LOOKS GREAT OMG

Dragonball Fighter Z:
Every Reviewer: IT LOOKS JUST THE LIKE THE SHOW OMG SO COOL (even though guilty gear is in the same art style).

Like I don't care about the graphics. I can look for myself. Why is such a substantial portion of reviews talking about the visuals?

I'm late but eh... not like anyone will read mine.

Have you seen the quality of the so called professional review companies lately?, half of them fail at tutorial stages and are hot garbage AT gaming... so it stands to reason they would not understand
most (if not all) mechanics involved.

Don't even buy game magazines anymore because of the amount of paid for review scores
Former Meepo Of Gfaq.
Official Techies of Gfaq, sometimes it is not enough to watch the world burn.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do reviewers refuse to talk about the actual gameplay mechanics ever

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived