This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do reviewers refuse to talk about the actual gameplay mechanics ever

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do reviewers refuse to talk about the actual gameplay mechanics ever

User Info: GeminiX7

GeminiX7
3 months ago#31
no2morro posted...
arleas posted...
Talking about Gameplay Mechanics requires some knowledge. Say the wrong thing and you get made to look like a fool. But if all you talk about is how pretty the game is, you're safe. Most game reviewers have zero credentials for that sort of thing...their resume is "i've been playing games since the PS1 days" and maybe "I went to college and got a degree", and that's about it. It's only somewhat recently (in the last 10 years) that there have even been classes about games.

Pretty much this. On a game mechanic side, it'd be nice to see the reviews breakdown that things like Mass Effect Andromeda (the cover system), can feel a little simplified as it auto-locks to cover. Also, selecting weapons is a little more convoluted that simply D-pad (on PC, which has been allocated to giving commands). Give me back my command wheel. That being said, I'm actually not finding Andromeda that bad for all the complaints it got. Storywise is fine, the quirky visuals do throw you off (even post PC patch).

I do agree with the TC though that game mechanics should be talked about 'far more', but that would require some of these reviewers actually being hardcore gamers rather than just journalists. Might be an idea to make them post their achievement/trophy name for each article they write (not their personal one, but one for the job), to help us see if they are legit gamers are just admirers of pretty visuals.

That might be worth it for more focused publications(like ones that specifically cater to the "hardcore" demographic) but might be a bit much to expect from your average publication or even gaming focused ones that still sell to larger groups than just a core audience, such as Game Informer. The amount of time you actually get to review games is actually pretty small, and while you may be able to breeze through a game if your a "pro" fairly quickly, it still might not be enough time to go into detail with the things you are asking for, like an evaluation on game mechanics and feel. Combine that with working around embargos, heavy release periods, holidays, etc, and you guys might be expecting a bit much from publications where the vast majority of thier readers just want to know "Is it pretty?", "How well does it run?", "How long is the game?", "Is it as good or better than the competition/past games?"

The hardcore gamer who wants that sort of granular review should definitely have places they can go to find it, I agree with that, but I don't think it's realistic for it to be any sort of standard. It's like expecting EVERY movie review to be a long deep dive into the greater motifs, filming techniques, inspirations and themes, and the like for every movie. Sure, someone like Moviebob can spend 3 hours dissecting just why Batman v Superman is "JUST THAT BAD" and as a self-proclaimed movie buff I'll love the hell out of it, but the average movie goer looking at reviews just wants to know whether they will enjoy themselves or not and a quick explanation why.
MSI Z97| Intel i5-4690 @ 3.5 Ghz | 8GB Cosair Vengence @ 1600 |Radeon R9 390 8GB
Who gave you permission to talk to me, mongrel?

User Info: DivineWraith

DivineWraith
3 months ago#32
Because then there would be an expectation of competence so that they can actually understand and properly convey their opinion of the gameplay mechanics, and we can't have that. How would all of those bottomfeeders be able to maintain their lifestyle if they had to actually be knowledgeable about their subject matter?

Fake it 'til you make it.

User Info: GeminiX7

GeminiX7
3 months ago#33
DivineWraith posted...
Because then there would be an expectation of competence so that they can actually understand and properly convey their opinion of the gameplay mechanics, and we can't have that. How would all of those bottomfeeders be able to maintain their lifestyle if they had to actually be knowledgeable about their subject matter?

Fake it 'til you make it.

Imagine taking electronic toy reviews so seriously. How embarrassing. They are telling you whether or not you should buy a 60 dollar toy, not informing you on which healthcare provider to go with or which bank to mortgage your house. Get off your high horse.
MSI Z97| Intel i5-4690 @ 3.5 Ghz | 8GB Cosair Vengence @ 1600 |Radeon R9 390 8GB
Who gave you permission to talk to me, mongrel?

User Info: Riot55555

Riot55555
3 months ago#34
Because they're usually bad gamers who also only get a brief window to actually play the game and won't actually put the effort in to develop the skills. Easy to just write about the surface level stuff.
youtube.com/riot55 ~~ twitch.tv/riot12345
Competitive Global Elite CS:GO, Hearthstone, Street Fighter gameplay, tutorials and more!

User Info: jake-sf

jake-sf
3 months ago#35
I mean, games are pretty much never sold on gameplay anymore?

Most popular games have s*** gameplay worthy of QTEs, but nobody cares. They think that button presses doing shiny things is enough. I mean, Assassin's Creed has built so many games on having no real gameplay whatsoever.

I mean, everything is the same. Gaming is popular, its popular for shallow s***. The good s***, in this case the gameplay, isn't something most people care about, and the general reviews highlights this fact.
SFJake Website - http://sfjake.byethost7.com

User Info: jake-sf

jake-sf
3 months ago#36
GeminiX7 posted...

Imagine taking electronic toy reviews so seriously. How embarrassing. They are telling you whether or not you should buy a 60 dollar toy, not informing you on which healthcare provider to go with or which bank to mortgage your house. Get off your high horse.

Lmao at trying to be condescending by calling it a toy. Go back to high school, little dips***.
SFJake Website - http://sfjake.byethost7.com

User Info: DiviDude

DiviDude
3 months ago#37
People sure have a lot of plausible sounding explanations for something that might not even be true. As others have pointed out, I find it considerably rarer when a review doesn't talk about gameplay mechanics.

User Info: bubbub01

bubbub01
3 months ago#38
jakisthe posted...
Weenie gatekeeping aside, what reviews are people talking about? I just watched the Gamespot review for DBFZ to see what TC was talking about since they tend to be fairly reviled, and they spent ~90% of the time talking about the mechanics as it related to combat, accessibility, story progression, lootboxes, etc.

I watched that review. He didn't really talk about the mechanics at all though. He talked about the stuff in the game. He didn't actually review what the game is about, the fighitng.

OH WELL THE GAME HAS A STORY MODE AND IT DRAGS ON AND THERES THIS HUB WORLD THATS OKAY AND SOME LOOT BOXES BUT THE MAIN THING IS THE FIGHTING AND THE DRAMATIC FINISHERS ARE SUCH A NOSTALGIA TRIP

Okay thats great bro, but what about the actual FIGHTING how does it hold up against other fighting games? What works and what doesn't? Is it competitive or casual? Is it accessible or hard to get into? Is it input heavy, mix up heavy, are there multiple strategies? Does each character feel drastically different or the same?

User Info: OUberLord

OUberLord
3 months ago#39
Setsunahenry posted...
And also, I do find plenty of reviewers saying a same things which make me feel like someone is paying for them.

Or, and I'm just throwing this out there; they say the same things because it's a true observation.

User Info: OUberLord

OUberLord
3 months ago#40
bubbub01 posted...
Okay thats great bro, but what about the actual FIGHTING how does it hold up against other fighting games? What works and what doesn't? Is it competitive or casual? Is it accessible or hard to get into? Is it input heavy, mix up heavy, are there multiple strategies? Does each character feel drastically different or the same?

Honestly, and speaking as someone who has put considerable time into writing professional reviews; ask the reviewer in the comments section. Granted things have changed since, but I always loved it when I got asked questions because A) I enjoyed being able to clarify and B) it improved future reviews.

It can be a difficult needle to thread. Depending on outlet there may be a word count limit, a style guide, or something else that makes it so a review may not go into express detail into something.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Why do reviewers refuse to talk about the actual gameplay mechanics ever

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived