This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

First "accurate" ports of console games

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. First "accurate" ports of console games

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
3 weeks ago#11
I certainly remember a lot of PS1 and Dreamcast "console perfect"(usually enhanced, especially from PS1) ports. Things like Raystorm, Raycrisis, the Resident Evil games, Final Fantasies, Phantasy Star, Sonic Adventure, Crazy Taxi, ect really colored the era imo.
That said, Megaman X1/2/3 also received solid ports, though they're difficult to run on anything more modern, due to compatibility issues, and were rapidly outdated by high quality, high speed emulation from ZSNES.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud
The cranky hermit 3 weeks ago#12
DarkZV2Beta posted...
That said, Megaman X1/2/3 also received solid ports, though they're difficult to run on anything more modern, due to compatibility issues, and were rapidly outdated by high quality, high speed emulation from ZSNES.

Just about everything you said here is partly wrong or completely wrong.

Mega Man X2 never got a PC port.
Mega Man X and X3 PC are easy to run on modern PCs, thanks to DOSBox. In fact, that's the only way you can play them. There is no difficult way to play them.
Mega Man X3 on PC is better than the SNES version.
ZSNES isn't exactly "high quality" emulation.
http://thecrankyhermit.shoutwiki.com
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!

User Info: Lum_Yatsura

Lum_Yatsura
3 weeks ago#13
The cranky hermit posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...

Just about everything you said here is partly wrong or completely wrong.

Mega Man X2 never got a PC port.
Mega Man X and X3 PC are easy to run on modern PCs, thanks to DOSBox. In fact, that's the only way you can play them. There is no difficult way to play them.
Mega Man X3 on PC is better than the SNES version.
ZSNES isn't exactly "high quality" emulation.

Well Mega Man X3 has a Windows 95 port of the PSX version. Though 16bit installers don't directly work on modern setups, you can get around it too.
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1124-lums-ufo-comedy-anime-and-manga

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
3 weeks ago#14
Zsnes is the highest quality SNES emulation, sadly.
Coulda sworn X2 had a low print run PC port, but I could be wrong.
X3 on PC is not better than the SNES version, much like X3 on PS1 is not better than the SNES version.
Talking about running native, not through DOSbox or anything like that. Though, the X3 port is a Windows port of the PS1 version. I remember it having some issues.
a quad core i7 was just a rebranded celeron -Pengu1n
Anything that has 3p fps or better is fine with me -mucloud

Lum_Yatsura
3 weeks ago#15
Zsnes is useful for less powerful hardware. But it's outdated.
The last "official" build is from 2007.
The cranky hermit 3 weeks ago#16
DarkZV2Beta posted...

It's not even close, and it's pretty common knowledge. Snes9x surpassed it a very long time ago, and Higan is the gold standard today.

Yes. Yes you are.

X3 on PC is not better than the SNES version, much like X3 on PS1 is not better than the SNES version.

They're both better than the SNES version.

Talking about running native, not through DOSbox or anything like that.

You didn't say "native." DOSBox is the de facto method of playing DOS games - DOS games always means DOSBox unless otherwise specified. And even if you had said "native," you'd still be half wrong. It's IMPOSSIBLE to play X1 "native." You would have just as much luck trying to play the SNES version "natively" as you would the DOS version.

If I said it's "difficult" to run SNES games on a PC, that would show I don't know what I'm talking about. Going "oh, I actually meant playing them native" would not be a saving throw. Same deal with saying that about DOS games.
http://thecrankyhermit.shoutwiki.com
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!

User Info: 32x2z

32x2z
3 weeks ago#17
Surprised no one mentioned sonic and knuckles port on the pc.
OK so your saying it tried to use a blocked port, got blocked, and switched to an unblocked port while waiting for the user to respond? - Why I love Gfaqs.

Lum_Yatsura
3 weeks ago#18
The cranky hermit posted...
DarkZV2Beta posted...

It's not even close, and it's pretty common knowledge. Snes9x surpassed it a very long time ago, and Higan is the gold standard today.

Yes. Yes you are.

They're both better than the SNES version.

Talking about running native, not through DOSbox or anything like that.

You didn't say "native." DOSBox is the de facto method of playing DOS games - DOS games always means DOSBox unless otherwise specified. And even if you had said "native," you'd still be half wrong. It's IMPOSSIBLE to play X1 "native." You would have just as much luck trying to play the SNES version "natively" as you would the DOS version.

If I said it's "difficult" to run SNES games on a PC, that would show I don't know what I'm talking about. Going "oh, I actually meant playing them native" would not be a saving throw. Same deal with saying that about DOS games.

I don't remember the X3 ports having much for gameplay improvements.
FMVs, a new soundtrack, and load screens don't really make it play better.

PC version adds some kind of difficulty option.
Saturn version adds borders due to its different aspect ratio.

32x2z posted...

Huh, that takes me back. The biggest change was the music.

User Info: sfcalimari

sfcalimari
3 weeks ago#19
Lum_Yatsura posted...
When did we start getting ports nigh unrecognizable to the untrained eye?

Games weren't really ported regularly until a few years into the ps3/360 era. You'd occasionally get a big game ported to pc but it would usually be an afterthought, and either coded completely differently or it was a buggy mess. Now just about every major game comes out on Sony/MS and pc, and it's rare that a game is either only on consoles or an exclusive to one console.

Around 2006/2007, bad ports were everywhere. Anyone remember the Gears of War game on Windows? Looked great but it was so stuttery it was almost unplayable. A lot of ports just ran like crap, or they'd have no gamepad support. After a few years of this nonsense pretty much all ports were the same as playing on consoles except they were actually coded well and took full advantage of pc power to run even better than on consoles, rather than running worse. PC gamers in most of the last decade have been treated very well when it comes to game choice and ports.
i wanna walk out into the night
without it being running away

User Info: MarceloSampaio

MarceloSampaio
3 weeks ago#20
32x2z posted...

I didn't because TC said MS-DOS game, while Sonic and Knuckles was for Windows.

But it was indeed a pretty good port.
Harvest Moon on Steam? Really? http://store.steampowered.com/app/585900/Harvest_Moon_Light_of_Hope/
May not be a "real" HM, but it does look fun.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. First "accurate" ports of console games

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived