This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

First "accurate" ports of console games

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. First "accurate" ports of console games

User Info: Lum_Yatsura

Lum_Yatsura
4 weeks ago#1
There was a time early on when consoles and DOS had real hardware differences.
Mainly that CGA was its own thing. Plus different sound chips. Gamepads were also commonly limited to four buttons.

When did we start getting ports nigh unrecognizable to the untrained eye?
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1124-lums-ufo-comedy-anime-and-manga

User Info: Garquill

Garquill
4 weeks ago#2
PS2 era is when everything mostly standardized, though there were some PS1 ports of unsure quality.

PS2 gen and onward to the end of the PS3 gen, the proportion of "good ports" rose dramatically
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~ A. Einstein
(message deleted)

User Info: MarceloSampaio

MarceloSampaio
4 weeks ago#4
The fist one I remember was Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo. It was almost 1:1 compared to the arcade version, and had the option to use digital CD music that sounded AMAZING. To me, it was the best version of the game, but I remember it being a pain to run on later MS-DOS machines. (Just remember that I'm talking about Super Turbo! SF2 and SSF2 are HORRIBLE ports, with SF2 being almost unplayable).

There's also Desert Strike and Jungle Strike. Hell, the PC ports actually look like they were MADE on PC first. Specially the CD version of Jungle Strike, with the cheesy FMV scenes. Both games play exactly like the Sega genesis versions (they are superior to the Snes ones, BTW), and look even better, with better colors and shading. One could argue that it's not even a perfect port, since it looks better. ;)

Flashback was also perfect. The game was originally made for the Sega genesis, but the PC port is actually my favorite. It doesn't have the slowdowns in the 3D cutscenes, but everything else seems the same. It even has a password system instead of a save system!

Mortal Kombat also had an arcade-perfect port. It looked and sounded exactly like the arcade version, and played great.

But I'm sure there are some older almost-perfect ports that I just can't remember. I just know the Commodore Amiga got WAY better console ports than MS-DOS PCs for a while, but I wouldn't know the exact time when MS-DOS started getting decent ports. I know the release of the Adlib cards made us very excited for MS-DOS games with decent sound and music.
Harvest Moon on Steam? Really? http://store.steampowered.com/app/585900/Harvest_Moon_Light_of_Hope/
May not be a "real" HM, but it does look fun.
The cranky hermit 4 weeks ago#5
There were some pretty decent second generation PC ports that the untrained eye probably wouldn't distinguish. BurgerTime, Demon Attack, Zaxxon, Tapper, and Jungle Hunt, for instance.

I can't think of a single third generation console game with a decent PC port, though. I attribute it to smooth scrolling, because these consoles had dedicated hardware to help with that (though funnily enough the NES was never meant to do that), and doing that on a PC was really difficult. We didn't see a lot of PC games with smooth 8-way scrolling until the 486 era (around the time MarceloSampaio is talking about), when the 486 started becoming common. After that, ports of 16-bit console games were a lot more feasible, because PC had no trouble matching them for resolution and color depth.

That said, this was John Carmack's prototype for Commander Keen, made in 1990:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YWD6Y9FUuw

Not perfect by a longshot, but a lot more NES-like than you'd expect for the time. And you can count Golden Axe DOS as surprisingly close to the arcade.

Some other near-perfect, or better than perfect ports of 4th gen good games include:
Blackthorne
Comix Zone
Disney's Aladdin
Earthworm Jim (Windows version)
Ecco the Dolphin (technically better on PC, but I prefer the Genesis music)
The Lion King
The Lost Vikings
Mega Man X3
Metal Warriors
Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure
http://thecrankyhermit.shoutwiki.com
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
4 weeks ago#6
MarceloSampaio posted...
SF2 and SSF2 are HORRIBLE ports, with SF2 being almost unplayable

To be fair, the DOS port of SSF2 is divine when compared to the atrocious port of SF2, even though it is essentially a straight port of the SNES versions, though yes, the Gametek port of SSF2T is undoubtedly superior, being a (to my eyes anyway) almost perfect port of the arcade version with CD music. It seems that around 93-95 or so, with the proliferation of VGA/SVGA graphics and faster processors etc. the quality of arcade/console ports really jumped up.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
The cranky hermit 4 weeks ago#7
JKatarn posted...
It seems that around 93-95 or so, with the proliferation of VGA/SVGA graphics and faster processors etc.

VGA was fairly common and widely supported in 1990, and was better than pretty much any console's video mode, and rivaled most arcade boards. It really comes down to the faster CPUs, mainly the 486 which started being common around 1992.
http://thecrankyhermit.shoutwiki.com
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!

User Info: Judgmenl

Judgmenl
4 weeks ago#8
I would argue that we still don't have consistent "accurate" ports of games (especially Japanese titles), but starting in the mid 2000s is when we started getting multi-plats.

Every once in a while you get a Final Fantasy 8 Steam Release where it's just an outright insult to players and needs an updated release with a dev team that actually cares.
Judge, Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.
You're a regular Jack Kerouac

User Info: revolver

revolver
4 weeks ago#9
Judgmenl posted...
I would argue that we still don't have consistent "accurate" ports of games (especially Japanese titles)

What do you mean, usually the complaint is with modern japanese ports is that they are too 'accurate' and have none of the bells and whistles that pc users are used to.

Like Dark Souls being a 1:1 port of the game with resolution locked to 720p like consoles.

User Info: Judgmenl

Judgmenl
4 weeks ago#10
revolver posted...
Judgmenl posted...
I would argue that we still don't have consistent "accurate" ports of games (especially Japanese titles)

What do you mean, usually the complaint is with modern japanese ports is that they are too 'accurate' and have none of the bells and whistles that pc users are used to.

Like Dark Souls being a 1:1 port of the game with resolution locked to 720p like consoles.

Actually you're right, I take it back and agree with you.
Judge, Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.
You're a regular Jack Kerouac
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. First "accurate" ports of console games

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived