This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ive never bought from GOG before... a few questions about it..

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Ive never bought from GOG before... a few questions about it..

User Info: kentuckybob

kentuckybob
6 months ago#1
Ive never used GOG but am tempted to get Fallout NV off it. What exactly will I be downloading... just an exe installer that will create a directory? Do GOG games have a bloatware software running whilst you play?
"You know what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like this?"

User Info: HBOSS

HBOSS
6 months ago#2
gog galaxy is the client. It has the store and your library when you make an account.

The games you get from there get installed to your computer. The game doesn't need gog for it to run.

No bloatware
You don't stop playing because you grow old,
You grow old because you stop playing

kentuckybob
6 months ago#3
So do I need to DL galaxy onto my system to DL games from GOG?

User Info: Bleu_Skie

Bleu_Skie
6 months ago#4
nope, galaxy is 100% optional. You can download them directly from your account on the gog site.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/BleuSkie
It's important to know what the rules are first, so that, when you decide to break them, you can better judge the effect.

User Info: SilentHawk29

SilentHawk29
6 months ago#5
It's not necessary, but it makes everything easier. You can just get the GOG downloader and download just the games. I believe you can also just download the game files from GOG instead of using the downloader.

I'd still recommend using Galaxy though. It's basically a lightweight Steam in that you can browse all the games on the store and such.
Steam - SilentHawk29 || Z170-A, G1 GTX 1080, i5 6600K, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4
My car (on fire): http://i.imgur.com/ZoeZJ1b.jpg

User Info: GTL581

GTL581
6 months ago#6
You can download just the game's installer if you want. All it does is install the game - no logging in to anything to run the game, no contacting some sort of server to verify whether it's a valid copy, and certainly no bloatware. The only thing extra that comes with games from them is stuff like community patches/bug fixes if needed for the game to run.

You can choose to instead download their galaxy client and let that download/install your games for you, if you want. It operates like 90% similar to the steam client, sans the community stuff and bulls*** like cards/badges/account level/etc. If you only have like a handful of games from them then there's really no huge benefit for using it. That said, it's a wonderful client that i couldn't recommend enough; i vastly prefer it to others like steam or origin

User Info: Bleu_Skie

Bleu_Skie
6 months ago#7
Galaxy does have cloud saves now I believe. That might be worth it for some by itself.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/BleuSkie
It's important to know what the rules are first, so that, when you decide to break them, you can better judge the effect.

User Info: GTL581

GTL581
6 months ago#8
That's true as well. Are all games supported yet? The patch notes for when they implemented it led me to believe that only a few games would use it, haven't really kept up with what the updates have done since then

User Info: knightauthor

knightauthor
6 months ago#9
kentuckybob posted...
Do GOG games have a bloatware software running whilst you play?

the closest thing to bloatware Gog has is optional goodies for your games.

kentuckybob posted...
So do I need to DL galaxy onto my system to DL games from GOG?

nope. you can download directly for the website. GOG Galaxy does have features you might like, such as:

screenshots
a recently played list that tells you when you last played a game
a friends list
a tag system similar to Steam's category system.

if you've ever used steam, it's kinda like that but is different since it's GOG, not Valve.

kentuckybob
6 months ago#10
knightauthor posted...

nope. you can download directly for the website. GOG Galaxy does have features you might like, such as:

screenshots
a recently played list that tells you when you last played a game
a friends list
a tag system similar to Steam's category system.

i

So all the BS that I hate about steam? awesome I'll probably start using gog. And word on Skyrim legacy coming to gog?
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Ive never bought from GOG before... a few questions about it..

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived