This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What do you think will go back down in price first? GPU or RAM?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What do you think will go back down in price first? GPU or RAM?

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
2 months ago#1
Next generation of GPU's is already a mining dream so gonna be years before GPU's go back down. Perhaps once DDR5 RAM releases making DDR4 cheap? Possible both just stay bad forever.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim
2 months ago#2
GPU prices have the potential to come down the hardest and the fastest. All you need is for mining to crash like the 30s stock market, for the US government to start freezing bank accounts, or companies refusing to deal with Bitcoin. At that point mining becomes worthless. So what you'll have is retail stock filling up plus ebay will be filled with $100 RX580s as miners try to unload hardware they don't need. If mining were to collapse you'd be talking about a drastic price change almost over night.

RAM on the other hand, well your just boned. The smart phone craze isn't going anywhere. And if I remember correctly, DDR3 prices didn't drop at all when DDR4 came out. RAM is all about a shortage in the supply on the manufacturing level. There's a whole lot harder to change.
https://twitter.com/ClunkerSlim

captsplatter_1
2 months ago#3
ClunkerSlim posted...
GPU prices have the potential to come down the hardest and the fastest. All you need is for mining to crash like the 30s stock market, for the US government to start freezing bank accounts, or companies refusing to deal with Bitcoin. At that point mining becomes worthless. So what you'll have is retail stock filling up plus ebay will be filled with $100 RX580s as miners try to unload hardware they don't need. If mining were to collapse you'd be talking about a drastic price change almost over night.

RAM on the other hand, well your just boned. The smart phone craze isn't going anywhere. And if I remember correctly, DDR3 prices didn't drop at all when DDR4 came out. RAM is all about a shortage in the supply on the manufacturing level. There's a whole lot harder to change.

All you can hope for on RAM is for prices to platue. But it seems they keep going up. Its not just RAM but any solid state media. Its also why Switch carts are more pricey compared to optical discs.
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: loader963

loader963
2 months ago#4
Clunkerslim /topic.
I can be patient, but I'm not waiting!

captsplatter_1
2 months ago#5
Who the hell is Clunterslim?

User Info: dennis941012

dennis941012
2 months ago#6
RAM is up in price as well?
well atleast I have that covered with 64 gbs of it
too bad my damn 780 ti died =/
3DS FC: 5214-9942-1912

User Info: Monopoman

Monopoman
2 months ago#7
ClunkerSlim posted...

Well mining could also move back to dedicated hardware, which is why miners weren't buying a f*** ton of cards like 3+ years ago.
BF ID: Birck #1559845599
Leads: Erza, Natsu, Lofia

User Info: Judgmenl

Judgmenl
2 months ago#8
GPU prices are never going down.

RAM prices are expected to go down Q2 2018.

RAM prices are high due to data center expansion.
Judge, Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.
You're a regular Jack Kerouac

captsplatter_1
2 months ago#9
Judgmenl posted...

RAM prices are expected to go down Q2 2018.

RAM prices are high due to data center expansion.

I feel GPU prices will go back down eventually, but not for years. Depends on what happens with cryptocurrency. Otherwise you have to time it right where you are thinking of upgrading and the next gen of GPU's are coming out. Then snag it by staying up all day and refreshing.

User Info: Tyranius2

Tyranius2
2 months ago#10
Judgmenl posted...

Yes they will, once the bubble bursts.
Bolsonaro 2018
Fizz Buzz for life
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What do you think will go back down in price first? GPU or RAM?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived