This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Denuvo 4.8, anti-tamper tech used in the latest triple-A games, has been cracked

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Denuvo 4.8, anti-tamper tech used in the latest triple-A games, has been cracked

User Info: Viper187666

Viper187666
3 months ago#21
There's no point in DRM like denuvo. Most games at this point favor multiplayer anyway, and pirates aren't getting on the servers without a legit copy. That's the only protection that's necessary. online DRM for singleplayer just pisses off the paying customers. The pirates aren't in any hurry. They'll just try something else for a bit because everything is free to them online. There's no proof that denuvo improves sales on anything. There's more people annoyed by it than anything, which makes them more likely to skip future releases (or at least wait for sales).
Xbox One dis-Kinected 6/9/14. Let that be a lesson to people. Vote with your wallet.
http://viper.shadowflareindustries.com/images/myroom/xbox01092016.jpg

User Info: Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon
3 months ago#22
Fate8 is right, in that the publishers don't expect Denuvo to last forever. Most sales of a game occur in the first few weeks of it's release, so if Denuvo is to be worthwhile to a games developer, then it must last for at least that period of time. And the fact that Denuvo continues to be used probably shows that the games developers consider it to be doing it's job. Whether or not it really does actually result in more sales of the game is much harder to say, as it's all down to estimates by the games companies, who aren't exactly unbiased in the matter.

That said, I personally don't like DRM, and I don't think it's fair that we consumers should have to suffer enforced restrictions on the software that we choose to spend our money on, especially considering that people who don't pay for the games and instead use the pirate versions don't have to put up with that DRM.
I'm a PC and console gamer - I love good games, regardless of their host system.
For all things N64: http://z9.invisionfree.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/

User Info: ArcadeGuy

ArcadeGuy
3 months ago#23
Only Sonic Forces has been bypassed but not fully cracked. Assassins Creed Origins won't get cracked any time soon with the extra layer of protection. It'll be interesting to see what Denuvo does next.

User Info: AsucaHayashi

AsucaHayashi
3 months ago#24
i do think it's funny nobody ever seems to mention the effects of denuvo on sales.

you'd think if piracy really were such an "AAA" industry-destroying problem that publishers would raise their arms in victory together for their first weeks'/months' worth of uninterrupted sales.

steamspy gives a pretty clear picture.

eg.
south park 1 vs 2: 2.5m/260k
injustice 1 vs 2: 1m/60k
i would mention shadow of mordor vs war but apparently mordor had a free weekend and data is unreliable. suffice to say it's at least a couple of million while SoW has around 700k.

the only game that comes close to fulfilling its predecessor's denuvo-less potential is assassin's creed origins where steamspy has both that and unity at 600k(surely quality and change in design doesn't have much to do with that one xd).

sure, time/discounts/quality of game matter etc. but so does the fact that every game's predecessor is without denuvo while the current sequels remain uncracked.

as such the apparent claim that launch sales are the most important isn't really supported by the numbers at least not enough to support denuvo.
http://abload.de/img/pcgamingxtuvt.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/9Yv0R2Z.jpg

User Info: Pengu1n

Pengu1n
3 months ago#25
ArcadeGuy posted...
Only Sonic Forces has been bypassed but not fully cracked. Assassins Creed Origins won't get cracked any time soon with the extra layer of protection. It'll be interesting to see what Denuvo does next.

They should sue the hacking groups that crack the protection. Get together with the devs and sue the crap out of the hackers with the threat of a multi million dollar lawsuit all other groups might think twice before tampering with DRM and promoting piracy.

User Info: speedforce131

speedforce131
3 months ago#26
AC:O is coming soon.

User Info: rpgian

rpgian
3 months ago#27
How are they going to sue the cracker groups? They aren't American, as they are smart for one thing. So them posting an instagram of themselves cracking a game and bragging about how pretty a sandwhich (and how big the turd is later) on social media is off the books to hunting them down too.

They should sue you for slander.

User Info: Pengu1n

Pengu1n
3 months ago#28
rpgian posted...
How are they going to sue the cracker groups? They aren't American, as they are smart for one thing. So them posting an instagram of themselves cracking a game and bragging about how pretty a sandwhich (and how big the turd is later) on social media is off the books to hunting them down too.

They should sue you for slander.

Why does that matter they they aren't american? And why do you think they are untraceable?

If they have social media accounts they can be traced they are a hacking group and they usually like to brag about how important they are. No-one is untraceable despite what these people say. I hope they do get found and sued and maybe some jail time might also happen and if they aren't from America then hopefully they are in some country where the laws are super strict and they end up with many years in jail.

User Info: Jason_Hudson

Jason_Hudson
3 months ago#29
SilentHawk29 posted...
Assuming piracy actually hurts sales.

Indeed. The EU actually investigated it, then tried to cover it up when they found that it had no impact.

Publishers are wasting money that they could put into improving the game. Customers don't like being treated like criminals.
i7 4790k@4.6GHz | EVGA 1080 FTW | 16GB RAM | 1440p@144hz - GLORIOUS PC MASTER RACE!
TRUMP IS THE GREATEST PRESIDENT!

User Info: Premium

Premium
2 months ago#30
Like already mentioned, the most effective form of drm for games has and will always be a good multiplayer component.
How do you ejaculate from plane? I try to press the buttons but I do not find it. Sorry for my bad english - Bean0
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Denuvo 4.8, anti-tamper tech used in the latest triple-A games, has been cracked

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived