This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

About what price of a computer would i need....

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. About what price of a computer would i need....

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
4 weeks ago#21
Tekken9292 posted...
Whether you build it or buy a pre-built doesn't matter. I'm just saying, make the sacrifice and spend at bare minimum $1,000. If you don't you'll straight up - out of the box - have a PC that won't max a lot of games and you'll have a meh experience.

Also, I forgot to mention, that PC is not VR ready. They say it is because it has the required ports in the back, but you'll get awful framerates in most VR games.

godplaysSNES posted...
The CPU though, that's the biggest issue for long term. There's nothing better for that motherboard than the i7 7700/7700k, and there never will be, and that'd also be an expensive upgrade.

The thing is, most games are barely stressing even older CPUs (with exceptions like MMO raiding etc. but these situations tend to run sub-optimally on most CPUs, but if you have a halfway decent CPU made in the last 6 years or so you'll still get playable framerates in raids etc.), and with console design the way it is (low-power mobile derived CPUs with an APU block) I really don't see that changing in the next 3-5 years. Now if you do video editting etc. yes the case for limited CPU upgrade options can be made, but for somebody looking for a budget 1080p gaming option, this is likely irrelevant. And if/when DX12/Vulkan pick up steam they will lower the CPU overhead of rendering.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

User Info: Dragon Nexus

Dragon Nexus
4 weeks ago#22
cory1225 posted...
I normally don't like prebuilts but I bought this for my sister on black friday

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-580-023w-i5-7400-Graphics/dp/B077S27YLP/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1516520658&sr=8-11&keywords=pc+gaming+computer

for $400, it's $600 now but worth it, than building with the inflated prices

Good lord, I mean isn't the GTX1060 on its own about $600 these days?
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde

User Info: Tekken9292

Tekken9292
4 weeks ago#23
JKatarn posted...
Tekken9292 posted...
Overall verdict:

Don't buy a bottlenecked, slightly behind the times PC for $600.
Make the sacrifice and dish out around $1,200

Lol, you're telling somebody on a budget to not buy a performant, sensibly priced pre-built, but to spend twice the amount? Great advice. TC - ignore him, if you DO get stutter in games (which is rarer than he's implying), just knock textures etc. from 'ultra' down to 'high' and you should be fine. OP also discredits himself by calling Doom a 'poor port' when it has been shown to be very scaleable/perform well on a variety of machines, and was even made to run on the Switch.

Yes I am telling him that. I used to make the same mistake years ago when I was in college. I scrounged together $700 and bought a pre-built. It didn't run new games magnificently out of the box and got even crappier each year going forward. Then, I started upgrading the bottlenecks one by one, which put me well over the initial $700 and past $1,000 anyways. I also had endless headaches because of how stupidly pre-built machines are assembled. When I wanted another hard drive, I needed a new case. When I needed a better GPU, I needed a bigger power supply. For a bigger power supply, I needed a new motherboard. It never ends.

Don't give in to desperation. Wait a whole year if you have to and save up for an expensive PC. Don't buy below $1,000. It will be a much more worthy investment and you'll have way more fun and way less headaches than dealing with pre-built garbage.

Would you spend $600 because you're poor and get a sub-par PC that leaves you feeling bad and doesn't play nice with you when you try to build onto it?
Or would you wait a few more months and save money until you can afford a real rig that's makes you feel good about yourself on day 1 and stays strong for 5 years?
I'm never doing the former again. I did it when I was poor and I regret it. I could have waited 12-16 months for an extra $500 in savings and built an awesome PC on my own.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/TekDek/
If it ain't broke... they'll break it.

User Info: wildog2006

wildog2006
4 weeks ago#24
wizardmon posted...
It's almost cheaper to get a full gaming laptop than it is to buy parts lately lol.

The truth of this statement physically hurts me right now.
MOD: Mindless, Oppressive, & Delusional

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
4 weeks ago#25
JKatarn posted...
Tekken9292 posted...
Whether you build it or buy a pre-built doesn't matter. I'm just saying, make the sacrifice and spend at bare minimum $1,000. If you don't you'll straight up - out of the box - have a PC that won't max a lot of games and you'll have a meh experience.

Also, I forgot to mention, that PC is not VR ready. They say it is because it has the required ports in the back, but you'll get awful framerates in most VR games.

godplaysSNES posted...
The CPU though, that's the biggest issue for long term. There's nothing better for that motherboard than the i7 7700/7700k, and there never will be, and that'd also be an expensive upgrade.

The thing is, most games are barely stressing even older CPUs (with exceptions like MMO raiding etc. but these situations tend to run sub-optimally on most CPUs, but if you have a halfway decent CPU made in the last 6 years or so you'll still get playable framerates in raids etc.), and with console design the way it is (low-power mobile derived CPUs with an APU block) I really don't see that changing in the next 3-5 years. Now if you do video editting etc. yes the case for limited CPU upgrade options can be made, but for somebody looking for a budget 1080p gaming option, this is likely irrelevant. And if/when DX12/Vulkan pick up steam they will lower the CPU overhead of rendering.

I have a 6700k and I could only upgrade to the 7700k and that's kind of a waste of money. Rather do a mobo+cpu combo upgrade.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: HOTHorneHeights

HOTHorneHeights
4 weeks ago#26
My GTX 1050ti plays Overwatch, LoL, WoW, and FFXIV at 60fps 1080p well enough, AA and shadows disabled.

Pretty affordable for a great gaming experience.

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
4 weeks ago#27
HOTHorneHeights posted...
My GTX 1050ti plays Overwatch, LoL, WoW, and FFXIV at 60fps 1080p well enough, AA and shadows disabled.

Most run low settings on Overwatch to get max framerate.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: Dragon Nexus

Dragon Nexus
4 weeks ago#28
captsplatter_1 posted...
HOTHorneHeights posted...

Most run low settings on Overwatch to get max framerate.

Isn't that kinda pointless after a certain point though? I'm speaking as someone with a 60Hz monitor, so I see little difference, but I've seen some people run Overwatch at 300FPs and surely that's a waste? At best you should aim for, what, 150FPS for a 144 Hz monitor, just to give you some leeway?
"Everything popular is wrong." - Oscar Wilde

User Info: wizardmon

wizardmon
4 weeks ago#29
Higher framerates give you less input delay - even if you can't see the frames with your eyes or the monitor can't render them in time.
Why Master_Faust can't see any posts on PCH: http://i.imgur.com/Ns93rhC.png

User Info: ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim
4 weeks ago#30
wizardmon posted...
Higher framerates give you less input delay - even if you can't see the frames with your eyes or the monitor can't render them in time.

I would think that normal multiplayer lag would render this near meaningless.
https://twitter.com/ClunkerSlim
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. About what price of a computer would i need....

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived