This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

As time goes by, I'm beginning to favor GoG over Steam

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. As time goes by, I'm beginning to favor GoG over Steam

User Info: Lord_Diablo13

Lord_Diablo13
4 weeks ago#1
Primarily because GoG is 100% DRM Free over Steam, and the fact that more and more classic games are being made available(Fallout 3 and NV, Dragon's Dogma, Elder SCrolls III and IV, Saints Row III and IV, etc). But lately, it's also because Steam is having a bit of a problem(Okay, an Epicly Bigly problem) with Garbageware games(Which is starting to creep into the PSN, XBLA and eShop).

If anything, I wouldn't mind more Steam games being transferred to GoG. And not just Steam, but also Playstation, XBox and Nintendo as well. GoG feels more like a perfect Digital Store, and I wouldn't have it any other way.(Okay, if it had the option to sell your content, I may bite even harder)
We may have lost the battle for Net Neutrality, but we haven't lost the war.
Go to https://www.battleforthenet.com/ for more information.

User Info: kobalobasileus

kobalobasileus
4 weeks ago#2
GOG is perfect, except:

AAA s*** manufacturers won't let their games be DRM free from the outset.

Galaxy is still a little rough around the edges.

Their sale prices usually aren't as good as Steam's, even in the post-refund era.

User Info: Kharillle

Kharillle
4 weeks ago#3
Same here. I figure I might have to operate offline, maybe on someone's old computer and it feels good to own it.
No time for games so I twitch. Youtube is good. Two monitors at any one time. My graphics card ist krap.

User Info: Termin8r

Termin8r
4 weeks ago#4
If it weren't for the limited library, GoG would pretty much be the perfect PC platform.
https://i.imgur.com/e6zStfw.gif

User Info: OrgeLambart

OrgeLambart
4 weeks ago#5
Lord_Diablo13 posted...
Primarily because GoG is 100% DRM Free over Steam, and the fact that more and more classic games are being made available(Fallout 3 and NV, Dragon's Dogma, Elder SCrolls III and IV, Saints Row III and IV, etc). But lately, it's also because Steam is having a bit of a problem(Okay, an Epicly Bigly problem) with Garbageware games(Which is starting to creep into the PSN, XBLA and eShop).

If anything, I wouldn't mind more Steam games being transferred to GoG. And not just Steam, but also Playstation, XBox and Nintendo as well. GoG feels more like a perfect Digital Store, and I wouldn't have it any other way.(Okay, if it had the option to sell your content, I may bite even harder)

why do you care if Steam has garbage games on it.. do those garbage games mean you're good ones aren't getting released.. People who complain about games they dislike being released on Steam make me shake my head.. why do people want to restrict the available games, because it bothers you to see bad games..
Xboxlive - Orge Lambart , Steam ID - Orge Lambart, PSN - Orgelambart

User Info: KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade
4 weeks ago#6
OrgeLambart posted...
why do you care if Steam has garbage games on it.. do those garbage games mean you're good ones aren't getting released.. People who complain about games they dislike being released on Steam make me shake my head.. why do people want to restrict the available games, because it bothers you to see bad games..
He wants a curated Store so he doesn't have to think / scroll as much through the pages of games listed.
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'

User Info: MasterPoker

MasterPoker
4 weeks ago#7
KamenRiderBlade posted...
OrgeLambart posted...
He wants a curated Store so he doesn't have to think / scroll as much through the pages of games listed.

Yep. Some people would prefer having their decision making spoonfed by critics.

Steam DRM is a laughable joke (and not mandatory, it is the publisher's decision to use or not use it). I'd rather have the option of buying gems like Dream Quest (not on GoG) or Stardew Valley (GoG rejected it for awhile), rather than having someone at GoG say it doesn't meet their genre or artstyle requirements.
Xuande
F/GO, Jan/21/18: http://i.imgur.com/2X1JVln.jpg (364,837,417)

User Info: Golden_Gonads

Golden_Gonads
4 weeks ago#8
There's a hell of a lot of crap to wade through on Steam to get to interesting releases, that said I've more-or less abandoned GOG as they are mainly getting dime-a-dozen indie releases now as well (though I accept that they've pretty much mined out all the classic games they could negotiate the rights to).

User Info: Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon
4 weeks ago#9
GOG is my favourite too, as I'm no fan of DRM, and much prefer being able to install my games when and where I like.
I'm a PC and console gamer - I love good games, regardless of their host system.
For all things N64: http://z9.invisionfree.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/

User Info: ElDudorino

ElDudorino
4 weeks ago#10
It always blew my mind when I'd see that "No Steam = No buy" stuff on here. Like, why do you *want* DRM? Why do you want an extra layer of software running at all times? Why do you want to deal with software that won't allow you to play your games until you've updated them, and has to be hacked if you don't want to update a game or don't want to be forced to immediately update before you're allowed to play?

I've been told by some people that they like the social aspect, and I guess if I had friends playing the same Steam games I could kinda see that. But in a world where most people play their games on PSN or Xbox Live anyway, I'd like to be able to have someone over and say "Check out this game!" without dealing with the random issues sometimes introduced by Steam.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. As time goes by, I'm beginning to favor GoG over Steam

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived