This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Pci-e 3.0 graphics card not working with Pci-e 2.0 motheboard.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Pci-e 3.0 graphics card not working with Pci-e 2.0 motheboard.

User Info: Jiazhen

Jiazhen
4 weeks ago#1
I installed a Sapphire nitro fury on my an old Phenom II 1100T, GA-MA790X-UD4P platform. It would only display graphics artifacts. When I moved the Fury back into my Sandybridge z77 rig everything was fine. Old dx10 gpus work on the phenom II system. So is PCI-e backwards compatibility not what its cranked up to be?
5820k | X99 Champion | Nitro Fury |16GB | 256GB SSD | AX1200i

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
4 weeks ago#2
You're confused. This is a forwards compatibility issue. It's possible the card's power draw exceeds what the slot is capable of delivering.
Even I'm not crazy enough to believe that distortion of reality

User Info: godplaysSNES

godplaysSNES
4 weeks ago#3
PCI-E is backwards compatible and any PCI-E 3.0 card is supposed to work in an PCI-E 1 port, but it's not always guaranteed.

Alot of people have had compatibility issues with the PCI-E 3.0 cards on older motherboards, and have required BIOS updates to get it solved. Sadly for you, that motherboard hasn't received a BIOS update since 2010.

Sapphire says the card has a BIOS switch for changing between UEFI and Legacy. Try switching to Legacy when you use it in the older motherboard.
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!

User Info: Jiazhen

Jiazhen
4 weeks ago#4
Thanks, that's a good idea. I thought the button on the graphics card was only for overclocking profiles. I'll give that a try.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Pci-e 3.0 graphics card not working with Pci-e 2.0 motheboard.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived