This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

When reinstalling/restoring windows, can you keep your other drives data?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. When reinstalling/restoring windows, can you keep your other drives data?

User Info: bubbub01

bubbub01
4 months ago#1
Got a bad worm. Fixed it once like a month ago. Apparently not good enough because it came back. Figured I might as well reinstall windows.

If I have data on my other drives, will that data get deleted/become unusable? I'm referring to things such games and programs and such.

User Info: GeminiX7

GeminiX7
4 months ago#2
Only the chosen partitioned space I believe will be reformatted for the O/S. That said, if the issue is a worm returning, isn't possible the other drives have been compromised and thats where the worm is coming back from?
MSI Z97| Intel i5-4690 @ 3.5 Ghz | 8GB Cosair Vengence @ 1600 |Radeon R9 390 8GB
Who gave you permission to talk to me, mongrel?

bubbub01
4 months ago#3
GeminiX7 posted...
Only the chosen partitioned space I believe will be reformatted for the O/S. That said, if the issue is a worm returning, isn't possible the other drives have been compromised and thats where the worm is coming back from?

Every file that was popping up that I was monitoring was on my C drive. I'm pretty confident it didn't spread to the other drives.

User Info: Dredj

Dredj
4 months ago#4
bubbub01 posted...
GeminiX7 posted...

Every file that was popping up that I was monitoring was on my C drive. I'm pretty confident it didn't spread to the other drives.

Something you downloaded and store on one of the other drives but install to the windows drive, and after your format you reinstalled it thus infecting yourself again?

And yes your other drives won't get touched by a reinstall or a system restore.

bubbub01
4 months ago#5
Dredj posted...
bubbub01 posted...
GeminiX7 posted...

Something you downloaded and store on one of the other drives but install to the windows drive, and after your format you reinstalled it thus infecting yourself again?

Not at all what I was talking about.

User Info: loader963

loader963
4 months ago#6
bubbub01 posted...
Dredj posted...
bubbub01 posted...
GeminiX7 posted...

Not at all what I was talking about.

I think he means if you dl’ed an infected movie of the Pirate Bay to your d: then watched it and it infected your c: . Actually happens a lot.
I can be patient, but I'm not waiting!

User Info: droider

droider
4 months ago#7
You should select the disk to install Windows during OS installation.

If you will loose your data, just install DiskDrill - http://howtorecover.me/disk-drill-windows-app-review.

User Info: Renraku_San

Renraku_San
4 months ago#8
bubbub01 posted...
Got a bad worm. Fixed it once like a month ago. Apparently not good enough because it came back. Figured I might as well reinstall windows.

If I have data on my other drives, will that data get deleted/become unusable? I'm referring to things such games and programs and such.

Yes - the data kinda gets "deleted" if you leave it on the drive. Basically Microsoft saves whatever data you have on your disks and uploads it to the Cloud during the OS install. Then you have to pay M$ a subscription fee to access the data.
I worship Jesus Christ and am 100% proud to be Christian!
I read the Bible every day, you should too!

User Info: gideond

gideond
4 months ago#9
Your other data should be fine, but sometimes Windows will trash partitions for no reason during an install. The safest thing to to is disconnect the other drives while reinstalling and then plug them back in after. If you are talking partitions on a single physical driver that's a little different. You can't just disconnect those.
http://www.poppameth.com
http://darkling.poppameth.com

User Info: OUberLord

OUberLord
3 months ago#10
gideond posted...
The safest thing to to is disconnect the other drives while reinstalling and then plug them back in after.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. When reinstalling/restoring windows, can you keep your other drives data?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived