This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

RAM costs more per GB than it did like 10 years ago

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. RAM costs more per GB than it did like 10 years ago

User Info: CRANKTHAT

CRANKTHAT
6 months ago#1
You can't blame buttcoin miners for that one. WTF happened to PC gaming. Everything is like 3 times more expensive now. I blame the twitch memesters "ey guys this $400 stick of ram is gr8 buy using my referral"
He Will Not Divide Us

User Info: Dorami

Dorami
6 months ago#2
1. RAM and flash storage chips use essentially the same manufacturing technology, so manufacturers reconfigure their factories based on demands and profits for both. Because flash storage is far more popular than 10 years ago, they are competing for the same factories.

2. Phone makers are increasing RAM and flash storage capacity across the board, particularly in the last year, noticeably increasing demands for both.

3. There are only 3-4 companies that actually manufacture the chips used in RAM and flash storage, and they are not in a hurry to significantly expand manufacturing capacity because of the small number of competitors and because RAM has historically followed a boom-bust cycle.
"Systematically killing randomly generated lolis actually sounds okay, now that I think about it." - DesertWolfXII

User Info: KnucklesIX

KnucklesIX
6 months ago#3
I’m still rocking 8gb 2133

I sold my gtx 1070 and was gonna upgrade but I got screwed right as the GPU hike began. Regret it,because I could’ve sold it for 2X...
Ginyu Gang

User Info: TreGooda

TreGooda
6 months ago#4
KnucklesIX posted...
I’m still rocking 8gb 2133

I sold my gtx 1070 and was gonna upgrade but I got screwed right as the GPU hike began. Regret it,because I could’ve sold it for 2X...

Where? I have a 970 sitting here not being used. Can I sell that for a higher price? I'm not seeing this on Ebay. Only Newegg appears to have inflated prices.

Microcenter, Amazon, Ebay etc. don't seem to be inflated.
"Get a life! What? I'm a gamer, I have tons of lives."

User Info: 32x2z

32x2z
6 months ago#5
I paid 85 dollars per gb ten years ago at circuit city and bestbuy. Ram sticks were 20 bucks for 256mb. After taxes that equates to 85 dollars (6% tax rate in the state I was in). I paid over 170 dollars just to get 2gb of ram so I had 2.5gb of ram with Vista. Who here is spending 170 dollars for 2gb of ram? Do they even make 2gb ram sticks of DDR4 ram? If I wanted to buy 16gb of DDR3 memory off ebay right now, I would pay about 70-80 bucks for the AMD specific brand cause I use an AMD chipset. I would still only pay 120 tops for some good ram that works with both chipsets.

If I was getting DDR4 Ram, it still cost less per gb then it did ten years ago. Do the math yourself for this one, I'm not upgrading to DDR4 ram when my clock speed can be the same with DDR3.
OK so your saying it tried to use a blocked port, got blocked, and switched to an unblocked port while waiting for the user to respond? - Why I love Gfaqs.

CRANKTHAT
6 months ago#6
32x2z posted...
I paid 85 dollars per gb ten years ago at circuit city and bestbuy. Ram sticks were 20 bucks for 256mb. After taxes that equates to 85 dollars (6% tax rate in the state I was in). I paid over 170 dollars just to get 2gb of ram so I had 2.5gb of ram with Vista. Who here is spending 170 dollars for 2gb of ram? Do they even make 2gb ram sticks of DDR4 ram? If I wanted to buy 16gb of DDR3 memory off ebay right now, I would pay about 70-80 bucks for the AMD specific brand cause I use an AMD chipset. I would still only pay 120 tops for some good ram that works with both chipsets.

If I was getting DDR4 Ram, it still cost less per gb then it did ten years ago. Do the math yourself for this one, I'm not upgrading to DDR4 ram when my clock speed can be the same with DDR3.

you got super ripped off man. I'm looking at an order I made for a friend in 2008.
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=25228&promoid=1008
This was $40 canadian. $10 per GB
He Will Not Divide Us

User Info: Rud3Bwoy

Rud3Bwoy
6 months ago#7
Are 1080tis selling for a lot?
Glorious 4K Master Race
https://valid.x86.fr/n6zhcp Rig Specs

CRANKTHAT
6 months ago#8
Here is an order I made from 2007

OCZ Gold XTC PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800 CL5-5-5-12 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit for $29.99 CAD

$15 per GB
He Will Not Divide Us

CRANKTHAT
6 months ago#9
found another order from 2007

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=2568996&sku=P56-3950&CMP=EMC-EMAIL2006&SRCCODE=CANEM992
not the best ram but it was on sale for $9 canadian. Prices were as cheap as $9 canadian per GB over 10 years ago. PC gaming is a joke these days, you're better off getting a gaming laptop than building your own rig
He Will Not Divide Us
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. RAM costs more per GB than it did like 10 years ago

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived