This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is 800 bucks a good price for a new 1080 ti?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is 800 bucks a good price for a new 1080 ti?

User Info: arleas

arleas
4 weeks ago#21
I had a rather unusual upgrade path...I went 1080 ($665) to 1080 (improved cooler for $100 more + chance to step up) to 1080Ti...(Step up for $101.58 but that included shipping)

So I guess I wound up paying $866 (including 2nd Day air shipping) to get mine in August of Last year...
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png
https://i.imgur.com/Po5TbWg.jpg

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
4 weeks ago#22
arleas posted...
I had a rather unusual upgrade path...I went 1080 ($665) to 1080 (improved cooler for $100 more + chance to step up) to 1080Ti...(Step up for $101.58 but that included shipping)

So I guess I wound up paying $866 (including 2nd Day air shipping) to get mine in August of Last year...

Why would you spend so much money going from a 1080 to a 1080TI? I'm still on a 290 and its still decent enough. I wish I was made of money like you.
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you

arleas
4 weeks ago#23
Fade2black001 posted...

Why would you spend so much money going from a 1080 to a 1080TI?

Well, let's see... when I bought my 1080, the 1080Ti didn't exist... then I had the 1080 for so long that if I wanted a Ti I would have to buy one, not step up.

SO they came out with the ICX cooler (as an improvement to the ACX 3.0 Cooler on the 1080 I had) and while that was interesting and probably made overclocking easier, what really got me was the fact that upgrading to the ICX gave me the ability to step up. I waited almost till my Step up window was over (hoping that the mining thing wouldn't drive up the price) and then stepped up at the last minute. I think it didn't matter in the end because I was essentially buying direct from EVGA so I didn't have to worry about them price gouging me.

The Time between my original purchase of the 1080 and my step up of the 1080Ti was over 1 year.

tl;dr there was no other way for me to step up to a Ti and I didn't want to shell out the money for a Ti and then have to sell my old card.
http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561197969913402.png http://i.imgur.com/VHKOxqN.png

Fade2black001
4 weeks ago#24
arleas posted...
Fade2black001 posted...

Why would you spend so much money going from a 1080 to a 1080TI?

Well, let's see... when I bought my 1080, the 1080Ti didn't exist... then I had the 1080 for so long that if I wanted a Ti I would have to buy one, not step up.

SO they came out with the ICX cooler (as an improvement to the ACX 3.0 Cooler on the 1080 I had) and while that was interesting and probably made overclocking easier, what really got me was the fact that upgrading to the ICX gave me the ability to step up. I waited almost till my Step up window was over (hoping that the mining thing wouldn't drive up the price) and then stepped up at the last minute. I think it didn't matter in the end because I was essentially buying direct from EVGA so I didn't have to worry about them price gouging me.

The Time between my original purchase of the 1080 and my step up of the 1080Ti was over 1 year.

tl;dr there was no other way for me to step up to a Ti and I didn't want to shell out the money for a Ti and then have to sell my old card.

So you're one of those that buys the top end GPU every year? Yeah I wish I was made of money...

arleas
4 weeks ago#25
Fade2black001 posted...
Yeah I wish I was made of money...

If I was made of money I would have bought the 1080Ti and then probably KEPT the 1080 as a paperweight or a doorstop.

I upgraded to the 1080 from a 780 (after having it since December of 2013) because of VR... then I saw an upgrade path to a Ti and I took it. None of what I did was "buying the top of the line every year".

On the other hand, I'm doing well enough that I can spend $500+ on a Kickstarter for a new VR headset (that they're still working on) and still be able to think about maybe buying a Vive Pro as a backup (when they release that).

tl;dr I'm not Richie Rich but I'm not poor either. Save your pennies, Spend your money wisely, work hard and you too can have money to spend on more than just food, rent and gas.

User Info: Combo Master

Combo Master
4 weeks ago#26
Fade2black001 posted...
So you're one of those that buys the top end GPU every year? Yeah I wish I was made of money...

Stop crying and do something about it??? You don't need to be made of money to take a $200 to $400 loss on a gpu each year... That's if you sell it... Also he will be mkaing money this year by selling it depending on what he paid for it..
Combo Master

Fade2black001
4 weeks ago#27
arleas posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
Yeah I wish I was made of money...

If I was made of money I would have bought the 1080Ti and then probably KEPT the 1080 as a paperweight or a doorstop.

I upgraded to the 1080 from a 780 (after having it since December of 2013) because of VR... then I saw an upgrade path to a Ti and I took it. None of what I did was "buying the top of the line every year".

On the other hand, I'm doing well enough that I can spend $500+ on a Kickstarter for a new VR headset (that they're still working on) and still be able to think about maybe buying a Vive Pro as a backup (when they release that).

tl;dr I'm not Richie Rich but I'm not poor either. Save your pennies, Spend your money wisely, work hard and you too can have money to spend on more than just food, rent and gas.

Sound advice man, very sound indeed. I am happy for you I'm not going to upgrade my card anytime soon as it I do believe it has pretty much the same performance as a 780 does. I am buying a nice monitor off a guy today that's a big upgrade from what I got but I won't have the GPU power to fully utilize it though but who knows what will come down the road for GPUs from AMD.

User Info: MacrossSpecial

MacrossSpecial
4 weeks ago#28
Combo Master posted...
Fade2black001 posted...

Stop crying and do something about it??? You don't need to be made of money to take a $200 to $400 loss on a gpu each year... That's if you sell it... Also he will be mkaing money this year by selling it depending on what he paid for it..

I used to saying that if you can't afford to burn a couple thousand dollars at any given time then you need to get off the internet and get your life in order, but that makes people here super-mad.

I say just leave them be.
...Dude, you're a ****ing douche. Get off my god damn internets.
- RX7Infinitilll

User Info: it_r_over9000

it_r_over9000
4 weeks ago#29
MacrossSpecial posted...
Ghost_Turtle posted...
1080ti's b4 the price spike was going for what, $700-800? They now temporarily range from $1300-1500? I'd say this a pretty sweet in-the-moment deal.

Same.

I got the strix ti for $850 like five months ago, even in good times $800 is a good price for the zotac model - I remember seeing it around that same price back then.

My Strix was $780 and that was expensive at the time compared to the others. It was worth it to me though. Best GPU I've owned so far.
i7 4770k @ 4.5 | H115i | Asus Hero VI | Asus Strix 1080 ti | Corsair Vengeance 16GB | XFX 850w Pro Black Full Modular | 850 EVO 1TB x2, 500GB | Seagate 1TB HDD

User Info: MacrossSpecial

MacrossSpecial
4 weeks ago#30
it_r_over9000 posted...
MacrossSpecial posted...
Ghost_Turtle posted...
1080ti's b4 the price spike was going for what, $700-800? They now temporarily range from $1300-1500? I'd say this a pretty sweet in-the-moment deal.

Same.

I got the strix ti for $850 like five months ago, even in good times $800 is a good price for the zotac model - I remember seeing it around that same price back then.

My Strix was $780 and that was expensive at the time compared to the others. It was worth it to me though. Best GPU I've owned so far.

Definitely; I don't think I'll ever buy a non-TI again. I went from a 780 to a 1080 to the 1080 ti and the difference was palpable.
...Dude, you're a ****ing douche. Get off my god damn internets.
- RX7Infinitilll
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is 800 bucks a good price for a new 1080 ti?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived