This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Good games that will show me the power of the PC and wow me?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Good games that will show me the power of the PC and wow me?

User Info: Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon
3 months ago#11
If you want to see the strengths of a real PC, modding a game is a great idea, as it's mostly impossible for most console games, and some of the mods (or combinations of mods) can make the game look incredible and really enhance the game and it's replayability. But what games you'd want to mod depends on what genres you like, and if you like the Elderscrolls games, or the GTA games, for example, then you're really in luck.

Boge posted...
ManuKesna posted...
it felt like it has a constant lag or something. Iw as in shocked how much better the pc version was.

That's the difference between 30fps and 60+. It makes a world of difference. It's one of those things that you don't realize is so great until you have it. Then you never want to go back.

I've honestly never been able to tell if people who believe this are genuinely deluded or just saying it as a way to bolster their own self image. I mean, I play games on a variety on consoles and PCs (mine, my mates, and even on the PCs at work, LAN gaming is alive and well after 6:30pm!) and I experience lots of different frame-rates, and yes of course higher is better, but I'd never judge a game adversely for having 30 or less FPS (unless it really was unplayable, but I can't recall the last time I tried to play a game with too low a FPS).

Seriously, are you saying that if a great game came out that was much better than anything else you'd ever played, but it was 'only' 30fps, then you, in your own words, wouldn't play it because "you never want to go back"? I hope not.
I'm a PC and console gamer - I love good games, regardless of their host system.
For all things N64: http://z9.invisionfree.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/

User Info: Elephant Rider

Elephant Rider
3 months ago#12
ManuKesna posted...

Thanks! An example of what I mean would be the witcher 3.
Tried the game recently on my pc and it rubln beautifully at 1440p reaching 90fps+ at max setting (all but hair)
After that I tried my ps4 version of the game (where I beat it when it first came out) and man...it looked terrible in comparison and it felt like it has a constant lag or something. Iw as in shocked how much better the pc version was.

GTA V will do the same thing when you compare versions.
little grey men are coming our way
tastes just like chicken they say

User Info: JKatarn

JKatarn
3 months ago#13
You're not going to find many games that vary greatly in scope/gameplay because of the potential increase in power a PC affords, but rather PC versions of multi-plats will look/run noticeably better on your GPU.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii-U | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES

JKatarn
3 months ago#14
ManuKesna posted...
Iw as in shocked how much better the pc version was.

I mean your GPU alone costs hundreds more than an entire PS4, it shouldn't be too shocking. Consoles are the economy cars of gaming (speaking purely specs wise) - they'll get you where you're going and drive reasonably well, but they don't have a lot of horsepower to spare.
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

JKatarn
3 months ago#15
fallen_acolyte posted...
Boge posted...
ManuKesna posted...
it felt like it has a constant lag or something. Iw as in shocked how much better the pc version was.

That's the difference between 30fps and 60+. It makes a world of difference. It's one of those things that you don't realize is so great until you have it. Then you never want to go back.

only if you're silly...

He's right though - I'm sure most people would prefer the input response/smoothness of 60+ FPS to 30. That doesn't mean 30 is unplayable (I've played and enjoyed BoTW on my Wii-U and that exhibits frequent dips below 30, and into the sub 20's in many towns), but 60+ is always preferable.

User Info: Terantatek

Terantatek
3 months ago#16
Any game with URWL and intensive post processes.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Xgsy6X
i7 7700k @ 4.6ghz | Asus ROG Strix 1080TI OC | Ripjaws 16GB 3000mhz | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus Swift PG278QR

User Info: Boge

Boge
3 months ago#17
Kerr Avon posted...
If you want to see the strengths of a real PC, modding a game is a great idea, as it's mostly impossible for most console games, and some of the mods (or combinations of mods) can make the game look incredible and really enhance the game and it's replayability. But what games you'd want to mod depends on what genres you like, and if you like the Elderscrolls games, or the GTA games, for example, then you're really in luck.

Boge posted...
ManuKesna posted...

I've honestly never been able to tell if people who believe this are genuinely deluded or just saying it as a way to bolster their own self image. I mean, I play games on a variety on consoles and PCs (mine, my mates, and even on the PCs at work, LAN gaming is alive and well after 6:30pm!) and I experience lots of different frame-rates, and yes of course higher is better, but I'd never judge a game adversely for having 30 or less FPS (unless it really was unplayable, but I can't recall the last time I tried to play a game with too low a FPS).

Seriously, are you saying that if a great game came out that was much better than anything else you'd ever played, but it was 'only' 30fps, then you, in your own words, wouldn't play it because "you never want to go back"? I hope not.

It really really hurts the experience for me is what I'm saying. I can tolerate it for a few of the great games. But it's a world of difference when I have 60fps. Dark Souls, The Last of Us, Uncharted being notable examples. I couldn't continue playing Dark Souls on the PS3 even though I loved Demon's Souls. But when it came out on PC and I played with DSfix, over 300 hours went into it.
With deeper knowledge and experience, everything becomes more shallow.

User Info: Rand_Aybara

Rand_Aybara
3 months ago#18
Star Citizen - one of the few games (possibly even the only game) that just isn't possible on consoles.

Rise of the Tomb Raider
Forza Horizon 3
Quantum Break
Metro Last Light Redux
GTA V with mods
GTA IV with mods
Skyrim with mods

User Info: Snuckie7

Snuckie7
3 months ago#19
Kerr Avon posted...
Boge posted...
ManuKesna posted...

One can only hope that a developer would never choose to ruin a game like that.
i7 3820 @ 4.5GHz | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | 8GB Samsung DDR3 2133 | PCP&C 600W

User Info: Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon
3 months ago#20
Snuckie7 posted...
Kerr Avon posted...
Boge posted...
ManuKesna posted...

One can only hope that a developer would never choose to ruin a game like that.

It wouldn't be 'ruined' at all. If it was, then it follows that any game that can't perform at 31fps or better (such as most console games going back to at least the N64 and Playstation (when 3D really kicked off), and especially PC games during the 3DFX years) would also be ruined, and not worth playing. And yet millions are happy to play such games.
I'm a PC and console gamer - I love good games, regardless of their host system.
For all things N64: http://z9.invisionfree.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Good games that will show me the power of the PC and wow me?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived