This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

NVIDIA Instruct Retailers To Stop Selling To Miners & Sell To Gamers Instead

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. NVIDIA Instruct Retailers To Stop Selling To Miners & Sell To Gamers Instead

User Info: KainFourteh

KainFourteh
6 months ago#51
@tearast

Lol, you're so hilariously ignorant.

User Info: phantasy

phantasy
6 months ago#52
It's all a pr move. Nvidia dont care who buys the cards as long as someone just buys them. Its making them money. They are happy that shelves are barren.

One more thing expect a price hike on their next series. People are used to paying inflated prices now that they won't notice the higher msrp.
[This message was FORCEFULLY deleted by a moderator or administrator]

User Info: KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade
6 months ago#53
Limit 1 GPU per recorded Credit Card & Actual Matching ID's across all stores every 7 weeks

That would slow down mining sales significantly and create enough inconvenience.
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'

User Info: Zachnorn

Zachnorn
6 months ago#54
This situation is very good for Nvidia in the short term.

In the long term though, there is a big problem.

Let's be honest with ourselves. PC gaming has a bad reputation in terms of price compared to consoles. You can come back at me and say that PC games are cheaper, or you can use a PC for many other things, PCs are a necessity, they're not that expensive, whatever, and I'd agree aside from this recent price surge. I've been arguing that for well over a decade. But the truth (or former truth for some aspects) is irrelevant if there's a bad perception.

Gamers have been going to consoles and handhelds. The Xbox One, PS4, Switch, and 3DS are all still selling well. People are playing games on their phones as well. And several years ago, I'd say that PC gaming had huge problems with being an afterthought for most developers - maybe make a PC game, maybe just ignore it entirely. Things were bad a few years ago.

I think PC gaming recently had a comeback. People have been getting more into it. People see that PCs are good gaming machines and more people are interested in them, either as another system along with their consoles or their only/preferred platform for games. That's great. Nvidia and AMD love that. They want to see that coming.

But when those interested customers want to buy or build a gaming PC and see either the insane prices on cards or see them sold out, what are they going to do? They're going to want to stick with consoles. Can you blame them? If I'm wanting to get into PC gaming and see I had to pay $1000 for a 1070, would I think of PC gaming as being reasonable or would I dismiss PC gaming as being as expensive as what people say? I probably wouldn't bother. That means I don't buy a GPU from Nvidia today, I won't become a customer now, and I probably won't buy a GPU in a few years. I won't buy one a few years after that, either. I could be a customer that could have spent decades buying hardware from Nvidia, but instead, I'm buying console hardware or staying with a phone or whatever other device.

If I'm Nvidia, who do I want to cater to? The miners that will raise prices on my video cards for a year or two and then go build dedicated devices later anyway (basically, what happened with Bitcoin)? Those users will be customers for a year or two, and then go away. I'd want to cater to gamers that I can get to buy video cards today and every 3-5 years. Nvidia isn't seeing much more profit per card sold anyway, maybe their manufacturers are, and definitely the retailers. It's better for Nvidia in the long term to attract people that will buy 1 GPU today and 9 more down the line than someone that buys 5 now and never again, especially when the latter will scare the long term customers away. Nvidia's so invested in the PC gaming market compared to AMD or Intel that I could see them being worried about PC gaming becoming too niche and causing damage to their business long-term.
<D

User Info: Cpt_Communism

Cpt_Communism
6 months ago#55
I've watched the Nvidia tech conference 2017 and their CES 2018 presentation. Their CEO spent the entire time talking about AI and deep learning and pretty clearly showed the future of the company. Gaming is a $100 Billion, AI and autonomous vehicles is a $13 Trillion industry. Nvidia has a new and much larger market now and they won't be hurt if gaming declines.
You're not obligated to attend every argument.
The ability to walk away from something stupid is a huge boost to daily life.

User Info: KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade
6 months ago#56
Zachnorn posted...
This situation is very good for Nvidia in the short term.

In the long term though, there is a big problem.

Let's be honest with ourselves. PC gaming has a bad reputation in terms of price compared to consoles. You can come back at me and say that PC games are cheaper, or you can use a PC for many other things, PCs are a necessity, they're not that expensive, whatever, and I'd agree aside from this recent price surge. I've been arguing that for well over a decade. But the truth (or former truth for some aspects) is irrelevant if there's a bad perception.

Gamers have been going to consoles and handhelds. The Xbox One, PS4, Switch, and 3DS are all still selling well. People are playing games on their phones as well. And several years ago, I'd say that PC gaming had huge problems with being an afterthought for most developers - maybe make a PC game, maybe just ignore it entirely. Things were bad a few years ago.

I think PC gaming recently had a comeback. People have been getting more into it. People see that PCs are good gaming machines and more people are interested in them, either as another system along with their consoles or their only/preferred platform for games. That's great. Nvidia and AMD love that. They want to see that coming.

But when those interested customers want to buy or build a gaming PC and see either the insane prices on cards or see them sold out, what are they going to do? They're going to want to stick with consoles. Can you blame them? If I'm wanting to get into PC gaming and see I had to pay $1000 for a 1070, would I think of PC gaming as being reasonable or would I dismiss PC gaming as being as expensive as what people say? I probably wouldn't bother. That means I don't buy a GPU from Nvidia today, I won't become a customer now, and I probably won't buy a GPU in a few years. I won't buy one a few years after that, either. I could be a customer that could have spent decades buying hardware from Nvidia, but instead, I'm buying console hardware or staying with a phone or whatever other device.

If I'm Nvidia, who do I want to cater to? The miners that will raise prices on my video cards for a year or two and then go build dedicated devices later anyway (basically, what happened with Bitcoin)? Those users will be customers for a year or two, and then go away. I'd want to cater to gamers that I can get to buy video cards today and every 3-5 years. Nvidia isn't seeing much more profit per card sold anyway, maybe their manufacturers are, and definitely the retailers. It's better for Nvidia in the long term to attract people that will buy 1 GPU today and 9 more down the line than someone that buys 5 now and never again, especially when the latter will scare the long term customers away. Nvidia's so invested in the PC gaming market compared to AMD or Intel that I could see them being worried about PC gaming becoming too niche and causing damage to their business long-term.
I completely agree with you on every bit of your rant.

We need Miners who want GPU's as "Mining" GPU's to be separated from the regular GPU's.

They should have Driver / Firmware restrictions against mining on normal GPU's and require mining specific versions for it and not let Firmware be upgrade-able to mining firmware on GPU specific models
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'

User Info: OrgeLambart

OrgeLambart
6 months ago#57
if demand is so high for cards, make more of them to fill that demand.. Unless Nvidia is raising the price on the cards themselves, they gain nothing by having a limited stock on the items..

releasing more cards would increase demand, and help keep the cards readily available,, not meeting the demand is a smart business move, they are selling out what they make and demand is super high, which means every new batch is going to sell out..

Nobody should fool themselves, Nvidia doesn't care who buys their cards, and they also don't care about the huge demand, that demand means they can pretty much print money anytime they want..
Xboxlive - Orge Lambart , Steam ID - Orge Lambart, PSN - Orgelambart

User Info: YukitoRambo

YukitoRambo
6 months ago#58
OrgeLambart posted...
if demand is so high for cards, make more of them to fill that demand..

You're forgetting that 'demand' isn't a constant value. It changes according to market trends. The solutions to NVIDIA's current problem is tricky.

Scenario 1. Increase capacity(build more factories and supply chains)
Risk: Cryptocurrencies as it is now are highly volatile. They don't just change often; Their range of value is also wide. For example, Bitcoin's value has been between 9k to 19kUSD per bitcoin in recent months. This high volatility is the reason why certain companies like Microsoft is no longer accepting trade in cryptos.

This volatility, and crucial uncertainties in important aspects of trade and government sentiment/regulations all makes cryptos a risk. What if, for whatever reason,

a. cryptos totally lost its value from regulation changes
or
b. a new, popular cryptocurrency emerges, in which NVIDIA cards cannot mine it efficient enough?

You'll see those people who buy GPUs in the thousands retreat from NVIDIA by selling off all those cards for dirt cheap in second-hand market, and any of those still under warranty will cause nightmares for handling the claims, while cannibalizing sales for NVIDIA's new cards.

When that happens, NVIDIA will no longer be able to sustain all those extra factories they made that incurs high operating costs. They will have to close those factories down, cut a lot of jobs and still lose a lot of money.

Scenario 2. Let this remain as it is today.
Risk: Just look around you now. Gamers are getting increasingly frustrated and hating on NVIDIA for not doing enough to overcome the supply shortage.

Sooner or later, a lot of people will drop PC gaming as a hobby because the price will bloat beyond what they have for disposable income. Mobile market may start seeing a rise(along with the shift from purely gambling camouflages to legit experiences), and demand for smartphones and tablets will further increase beyond its current, already huge market size. Companies that make parts for both PCs and mobiles will prioritize mobiles even more, therefore shortening the supplies of other parts. We are already seeing RAM prices increasing beyond 87% this year, and it's not cooling down.
"Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed" - Alexander Pope

User Info: Kazuya_80

Kazuya_80
6 months ago#59
do you think its a future risk to gaming on computer ?

User Info: YukitoRambo

YukitoRambo
6 months ago#60
Kazuya_80 posted...
do you think its a future risk to gaming on computer ?

It's still too early to tell. Cryptocurrencies, despite churning out more and more different currency every month, is still yet to reach oversaturation.

But like the subprime housing crisis that hit the US in 2008, it will come. The question is not 'if', but 'when'. How it will affect PC gaming depends on how soon crypto oversaturation will happen.

I don't think it's wise to ask people who are involved in cryptocurrencies for their honest opinion on this. Speculation is what fueling cryptos the most, and they'd want to make it look all smelling like roses for as long as they can. Meanwhile, experts in traditional banking and fiat system aren't exactly reliable either because they have bias against cryptos by default because of their disruptive effect in traditional fiat money controlled by banks.

We can only wait and see until it crashes. And when it does, it will be a bloodbath. Even in my own community, I know a few individuals who took huge loans - including from sharks - to bet on the boom, and some of them are already failing horribly due to sudden freeze of the trading site's bank account and the volatility of value.
"Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed" - Alexander Pope
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. NVIDIA Instruct Retailers To Stop Selling To Miners & Sell To Gamers Instead

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived