This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

NVIDIA Instruct Retailers To Stop Selling To Miners & Sell To Gamers Instead

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. NVIDIA Instruct Retailers To Stop Selling To Miners & Sell To Gamers Instead

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
3 months ago#41
SinisterSlay posted...
SnakePlisken94 posted...
Just disable mining capabilities on geforce series all together through the drivers

Yeah I'm not sure why they can't just do this in some way. It must be possible to detect compute being used without a game being run.

They updated their ToS recently. They banned using GeForce cards in server farms for anything *but* mining. The cards aren't locked out but they don't offer support anymore unless you're using the compute for mining.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez

User Info: Voidgolem

Voidgolem
3 months ago#42
Zalibidas posted...

No, they don't. When the core audiance they are targeting can not buy their cards, it only stands to hurt them long term. This dumb fake currency nonsense will eventually die and customer loyalty will have dropped off as a result, hurting them in the end. I'm sure they know this too... thats why they are trying to limit cards to miners somehow.

if all GPU prices are spiked I don't really understand how customer loyalty will die off. It's not really like you can say "oh nvidia's cards are super popular and expensive as a result so I'll just buy AMD" when AMD's cards are also price-spiked to hell.

that leaves you...what, exactly? Tiny unknown manufacturer that may or may not work?Ivany2008 posted...

that's not what I meant. What I meant was, if there is no one at the keyboard for a certain period of time it locks itself out until the password is typed in again.

what you're asking is both not a graphics card feature and notoriously easy to circumvent.
https://i.imgur.com/Uiyemc7.jpg

User Info: spike_spiegel

spike_spiegel
3 months ago#43
pipebomb_phil posted...
How are they going to know who is buying them?

Well if they detect someone buying 20 gd cards at once or within a few weeks under the same name and address that may be a clue.

User Info: Ivany2008

Ivany2008
3 months ago#44
fair enough. They need to do something though. I refuse to pay 1500 dollars for a 1080TI.

User Info: Sir_Haxor

Sir_Haxor
3 months ago#45
Monopoman posted...
or maybe they start buying AMD cards only

How would this happen when AMD is selling to miners as well? Even then, Nvidia already controls 80%+ of the gaming market. They don't have to do much to convince gamers to stick with their brand because the mind share is already high.

Additionally, people moving on from PC gaming is no different than miners moving on to whatever new tech would provide the best mining results.
Z97A | 4690k 4.6GHz | Hyper 212 Evo | EVGA GTX 1080ti | EVGA GS 650w | 16GB DDR3 | WDB 3TB |128GB SSD | Toshiba 500GB | Challenger S | Acer G257HU | LG 27UD68 |

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
3 months ago#46
PhilOnDez posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
SnakePlisken94 posted...
Just disable mining capabilities on geforce series all together through the drivers

Yeah I'm not sure why they can't just do this in some way. It must be possible to detect compute being used without a game being run.

They updated their ToS recently. They banned using GeForce cards in server farms for anything *but* mining. The cards aren't locked out but they don't offer support anymore unless you're using the compute for mining.

Wait, I think you got it mixed up. You mean you won't get support or your warranty will be void if you use your card for mining?
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: Killah Priest

Killah Priest
3 months ago#47
lol LOYALTY

LOL
The Infamous...
If you're one of us then roll with us.

User Info: nominturddaddy

nominturddaddy
3 months ago#48
This is nothing but PR to make it look like they care.
My current setup: https://i.imgur.com/c8xbRW0.png
Some of my gamer cred: https://i.imgur.com/q7RXULk.png

User Info: farigonti

farigonti
3 months ago#49
pipebomb_phil posted...

Use bitcoin to pay

User Info: ATARIJAWA

ATARIJAWA
3 months ago#50
farigonti posted...
pipebomb_phil posted...

Use bitcoin to pay

have you seen the processing fees for paying with bitcoin lately?
Gamefaqs game rating system : 10 = Best Game Ever. 8-9. Crushing dissapointment. Below 8 :Total Garbage. This is getting ridiculous. people agreeing so far 127
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. NVIDIA Instruct Retailers To Stop Selling To Miners & Sell To Gamers Instead

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived