This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

NVIDIA Instruct Retailers To Stop Selling To Miners & Sell To Gamers Instead

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. NVIDIA Instruct Retailers To Stop Selling To Miners & Sell To Gamers Instead

User Info: KainFourteh

KainFourteh
4 weeks ago#31
tearast posted...
Zalibidas posted...
tearast posted...
The average BTC miner is MUCH richer than the average gamer. Nvidia in reality PREFERS BTC miners.

No, they don't. When the core audiance they are targeting can not buy their cards, it only stands to hurt them long term. This dumb fake currency nonsense will eventually die and customer loyalty will have dropped off as a result, hurting them in the end. I'm sure they know this too... thats why they are trying to limit cards to miners somehow.

"fake currency"

You obviously don't understand even the most basics of economics. @ me with this ignorance one more time and I'll be adding you to my ignore list.

You don't know what you're talking about.

User Info: sfcalimari

sfcalimari
4 weeks ago#32
tearast posted...
Zalibidas posted...
tearast posted...
The average BTC miner is MUCH richer than the average gamer. Nvidia in reality PREFERS BTC miners.

No, they don't. When the core audiance they are targeting can not buy their cards, it only stands to hurt them long term. This dumb fake currency nonsense will eventually die and customer loyalty will have dropped off as a result, hurting them in the end. I'm sure they know this too... thats why they are trying to limit cards to miners somehow.

"fake currency"

You obviously don't understand even the most basics of economics. @ me with this ignorance one more time and I'll be adding you to my ignore list.

How are cryptocurrencies not like a legal ponzi scheme? Society simply cannot handle massive numbers of people getting rich off of nothing. Either cryptocurrencies will collapse and lose value or they'll cause massive inflation in real currencies. Gold rushes and oil booms do this and they actually create something people want. Cryptocoins just represent arbitrary artificial demand and wasted electricity.
i wanna walk out into the night
without it being running away

User Info: Fony

Fony
4 weeks ago#33
BrokenMachine85 posted...
Just lower the price of your cards and make more.

Everyone wins.

Can't make more now. Majority of TSMC chip wafers are being bought up by Bitmain. They're buying 20,000 wafers a month.
It's not the end of the world, but we can see it from here.

User Info: blacklabelice

blacklabelice
4 weeks ago#34
Ivany2008 posted...
Find a way to make it illegal, either that or find a way so that your card will no longer run if certain applications are being used, or add some sort of protection which forces a log in every 6-8 hours.

yes. lets just force your gpu to connect to some internet server in order to function!

i dont see what can possibly go wrong there.
I cant afford a good vacation, so i'm just going to drink until i dont know where i am.

User Info: Edavy89

Edavy89
4 weeks ago#35
tearast posted...
Zalibidas posted...
tearast posted...

"fake currency"

LOL, did you actually just say that like anyone on these boards considers your opinion worth more than garbage? Holy s*** are you delusional.

User Info: SnakePlisken94

SnakePlisken94
4 weeks ago#36
Just disable mining capabilities on geforce series all together through the drivers
just your typical butthurt basement dweller

User Info: Lugoves

Lugoves
4 weeks ago#37
Was at a Micro Center last night picking up my new monitor and I stopped by the GPU section out of curiosity and it was barren. There was nothing on the shelves for nVidia or AMD. Not 1 single card of any kind.

Was talking to the guys that work in the PC build section and they were talking about how it's hurt their business overall because people aren't able to buy everything they need to build their rigs.
My Collection: http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/LUGOVES/games/owned?platform=0
http://backloggery.com/SwashBuccaneer

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
4 weeks ago#38
SnakePlisken94 posted...
Just disable mining capabilities on geforce series all together through the drivers

Yeah I'm not sure why they can't just do this in some way. It must be possible to detect compute being used without a game being run.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: Ivany2008

Ivany2008
4 weeks ago#39
blacklabelice posted...
Ivany2008 posted...
Find a way to make it illegal, either that or find a way so that your card will no longer run if certain applications are being used, or add some sort of protection which forces a log in every 6-8 hours.

yes. lets just force your gpu to connect to some internet server in order to function!

i dont see what can possibly go wrong there.

that's not what I meant. What I meant was, if there is no one at the keyboard for a certain period of time it locks itself out until the password is typed in again. Obviously if someone is at the computer it won't de-activate itself, but after that, if the computer is left idle for something like 1/2 hr or an hour, then it forces a lock on either the graphics card, or the internet until the password is put in again. An authentication for lack of better terms.

Its better than the alternative, which is having GPUs cost 1.5 grand. Now, that being said, I'm really really hoping the VOLTA will become the new bitcoining graphics card, which then forces 1080/1080TIs down in price by a large margin.

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
4 weeks ago#40
SnakePlisken94 posted...

You apparently don't realize that there's nothing they can do to stop other drivers from being written and used.
Even I'm not crazy enough to believe that distortion of reality
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. NVIDIA Instruct Retailers To Stop Selling To Miners & Sell To Gamers Instead

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived