This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

NVIDIA Instruct Retailers To Stop Selling To Miners & Sell To Gamers Instead

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. NVIDIA Instruct Retailers To Stop Selling To Miners & Sell To Gamers Instead

User Info: tearast

tearast
6 months ago#11
Zalibidas posted...
tearast posted...
The average BTC miner is MUCH richer than the average gamer. Nvidia in reality PREFERS BTC miners.

No, they don't. When the core audiance they are targeting can not buy their cards, it only stands to hurt them long term. This dumb fake currency nonsense will eventually die and customer loyalty will have dropped off as a result, hurting them in the end. I'm sure they know this too... thats why they are trying to limit cards to miners somehow.

"fake currency"

You obviously don't understand even the most basics of economics. @ me with this ignorance one more time and I'll be adding you to my ignore list.

User Info: it_r_over9000

it_r_over9000
6 months ago#12
tearast posted...
@ me with this ignorance one more time and I'll be adding you to my ignore list.

Oh so this is Faust's alt. Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater.
i7 4770k @ 4.5 | H115i | Asus Hero VI | Asus Strix 1080 ti | Corsair Vengeance 16GB | XFX 850w Pro Black Full Modular | 850 EVO 1TB x2, 500GB | Seagate 1TB HDD

User Info: tearast

tearast
6 months ago#13
it_r_over9000 posted...
tearast posted...
@ me with this ignorance one more time and I'll be adding you to my ignore list.

Oh so this is Faust's alt. Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater.

Wtf?

User Info: Zalibidas

Zalibidas
6 months ago#14
tearast posted...
Zalibidas posted...
tearast posted...
The average BTC miner is MUCH richer than the average gamer. Nvidia in reality PREFERS BTC miners.

No, they don't. When the core audiance they are targeting can not buy their cards, it only stands to hurt them long term. This dumb fake currency nonsense will eventually die and customer loyalty will have dropped off as a result, hurting them in the end. I'm sure they know this too... thats why they are trying to limit cards to miners somehow.

"fake currency"

You obviously don't understand even the most basics of economics. @ me with this ignorance one more time and I'll be adding you to my ignore list.

Do it. Don't care. You aren't important to me.

User Info: Monopoman

Monopoman
6 months ago#15
The only way Nvidia benefits long term from the mining craze if it stays as big as it is now or bigger for the next 20-30 years. It's obvious that they won't want to increase production to meet a demand from miners that could be zero in 3-4 years or less.

Nvidia loves to sell their cards to whoever would buy them, but they built their business of selling them to gamers and those gamers have been buying them since the inception of Nvidia. s***, even if the mining thing stays huge maybe miners move back to dedicated mining hardware in a few years as some company develops something that is vastly more efficient and powerful for mining than a graphics card.
BF ID: Birck #1559845599
Leads: Erza, Natsu, Lofia
(message deleted)

User Info: Sir_Haxor

Sir_Haxor
6 months ago#17
They don't care who buys the cards, they still profit regardless. When Volta releases with even higher markup than Pascal because miners are willing to pay you'll see.

Think of it this way, they don't even have to worry about making gaming drivers anymore meaning they don't have to pay their driver team as much. The only thing they really lose are those gaming partnership deals and gsync monitor sales, but that's a drop in the bucket compared to the increased profits from miners.

I guess gaming related VR advancements will slow to a crawl as well, since no one will have the tech to run it. But that's not Nvidia's problem either lol.
Z97A | 4690k 4.6GHz | Hyper 212 Evo | EVGA GTX 1080ti | EVGA GS 650w | 16GB DDR3 | WDB 3TB |128GB SSD | Toshiba 500GB | Challenger S | Acer G257HU | LG 27UD68 |

User Info: Monopoman

Monopoman
6 months ago#18
Sir_Haxor posted...
They don't care who buys the cards, they still profit regardless. When Volta releases with even higher markup than Pascal because miners are willing to pay you'll see.

Think of it this way, they don't even have to worry about making gaming drivers anymore meaning they don't have to pay their driver team as much. The only thing they really lose are those gaming partnership deals and gsync monitor sales, but that's a drop in the bucket compared to the increased profits from miners.

I guess gaming related VR advancements will slow to a crawl as well, since no one will have the tech to run it. But that's not Nvidia's problem either lol.

That is the most short-sided thinking ever most business owners aren't that stupid. If they completely cater to the mining audience and that audience disappears in a few years they could find themselves with no buyers. Some PC gamers would move on from PC gaming or maybe they start buying AMD cards only. Let me give you an example the game MTG has a bunch of old cards worth thousands, if the company behind that game wanted to make a quick buck they could print those old cards again in a box set for 200 bucks and sell them to tons of people it would damage the health of their game long term though so they don't do it.
BF ID: Birck #1559845599
Leads: Erza, Natsu, Lofia

User Info: ArkonBlade

ArkonBlade
6 months ago#19
pipebomb_phil posted...
How are they going to know who is buying them?

This.

about the only thing they can do is limei 1 per costumer.
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ArkonBlade/videos
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade

User Info: ClunkerSlim

ClunkerSlim
6 months ago#20
It seems obvious that the gaming market will outlast the mining market. So I can see why Nvidia is pleading with retailers to help keep it healthy. The last thing Nvidia wants is for PC gamers to be pushed toward consoles and then the mining crazy collapse on top of that.

Personally, I like the idea of limiting the number of GPU purchases. But that's so easy to get around. But still, at least it's something. Every little bit helps.
https://twitter.com/ClunkerSlim
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. NVIDIA Instruct Retailers To Stop Selling To Miners & Sell To Gamers Instead

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived