This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is using a dedicated GPU for PhsX still a thing?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is using a dedicated GPU for PhsX still a thing?

User Info: therickmu25

therickmu25
4 months ago#1
I have a 1080 coming in the mail next week and as I'm about to get rid of my 960, I remembered back in 2011/2012 when people would recommend using the lesser card as a dedicated PhsX card.

My PSU could handle the other card but is this still even worth it and how much performance did people get with a dedicated card?
PC: http://i.imgur.com/9Ho6VA1.jpg

User Info: EvilGiygas

EvilGiygas
4 months ago#2
I think it's still a thing but quite literally useless.
"I just came from the gym while you were munching on Doritos and sipping Mountain Dew in your mother's basement." - Kinjo

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
4 months ago#3
EvilGiygas posted...

Almost like SLI, although its needed for 4k gaming. Also how much did your 1080 cost? With the whole jacked up prices right now. Mine costed $515.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

User Info: EvilGiygas

EvilGiygas
4 months ago#4
captsplatter_1 posted...
EvilGiygas posted...

Almost like SLI, although its needed for 4k gaming.

Ahhh. I'm a bit behind it seems.
"I just came from the gym while you were munching on Doritos and sipping Mountain Dew in your mother's basement." - Kinjo

therickmu25
4 months ago#5
captsplatter_1 posted...
EvilGiygas posted...

Almost like SLI, although its needed for 4k gaming. Also how much did your 1080 cost? With the whole jacked up prices right now. Mine costed $515.

Newegg had the EVGA FTW for $620. It's not great but I've been looking at demonic prices for 2 weeks and pulled the trigger.
BUT, New Jersey has sales tax so I had to pay an extra $50 then shipping.

$699 in total. My wallet will be hurting for a few weeks.

User Info: PhilOnDez

PhilOnDez
4 months ago#6
Depends on the cards. There were some topics about it a while back, Fermi cards, even a 580 were holding back Maxwell cards. But then the 750ti was beneficial even with a 980 I think. I imagine the 960 would do pretty well, it'll just depend on how much better Pascal is than Maxwell at compute. Basically you'll need to find someone who's tried your combo (or potentially lower) and see their results to see if that's worth it for the handful of games that would benefit from it.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
4 months ago#7
therickmu25 posted...
captsplatter_1 posted...
EvilGiygas posted...

Newegg had the EVGA FTW for $620. It's not great but I've been looking at demonic prices for 2 weeks and pulled the trigger.
BUT, New Jersey has sales tax so I had to pay an extra $50 then shipping.

$699 in total. My wallet will be hurting for a few weeks.

That would have typically be the cost of a 1080 Ti at MSRP.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

therickmu25
4 months ago#8
PhilOnDez posted...
Depends on the cards. There were some topics about it a while back, Fermi cards, even a 580 were holding back Maxwell cards. But then the 750ti was beneficial even with a 980 I think. I imagine the 960 would do pretty well, it'll just depend on how much better Pascal is than Maxwell at compute. Basically you'll need to find someone who's tried your combo (or potentially lower) and see their results to see if that's worth it for the handful of games that would benefit from it.

Thanks I'll do some research while my new card is being shipped. It's funny I haven't really seen PhsX even promoted much recently. Seems like something that's tablestakes at this point and not some special feature.

User Info: Judgmenl

Judgmenl
4 months ago#9
No, GPU Physx isn't really a thing anymore.
Judge, Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.
You're a regular Jack Kerouac

User Info: 32x2z

32x2z
4 months ago#10
Judgmenl posted...
No, GPU Physx isn't really a thing anymore.

This.
OK so your saying it tried to use a blocked port, got blocked, and switched to an unblocked port while waiting for the user to respond? - Why I love Gfaqs.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Is using a dedicated GPU for PhsX still a thing?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived