This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What would you rather have in a laptop?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What would you rather have in a laptop?

User Info: Solid Sonic

Solid Sonic
4 weeks ago#1
Less weight/thinner profile or More power/thicker girth? - Results (25 votes)
Sacrifice power for ease of transporting and a sleek design
48% (12 votes)
Sacrifice lightweight and slim profile for longer battery lilfe
52% (13 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Given how fast my brand new laptop seems to be draining off (not absurdly fast but quicker than a MacBook for the same physical dimensions), I'm thinking a heavier, less thin laptop might be better for a larger battery.
The only game reviewers who can be trusted are those who publish in Latin or Swahili.

User Info: zhenghan

zhenghan
4 weeks ago#2
i'd rather have a good phone these days, i can do almost anything i want on a phone....

if i get a laptop it would have to game, and not just game but be really good at gaming.
"dude i am like a 10 th grader,i am not smart i am not smart okay.i know basic english not level 100 english lol" -stephanielish

Solid Sonic
4 weeks ago#3
zhenghan posted...
i'd rather have a good phone these days, i can do almost anything i want on a phone....

Normies get out.
The only game reviewers who can be trusted are those who publish in Latin or Swahili.

User Info: Judgmenl

Judgmenl
4 weeks ago#4
Whatever my work gives me as long as it's current-gen and can compile code fast.
Judge, Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.
You're a regular Jack Kerouac

Solid Sonic
4 weeks ago#5
Judgmenl posted...
Whatever my work gives me as long as it's current-gen and can compile code fast.

For code compilation do modern CPUs (like...post-2010) even differ that much?

User Info: Orestes417

Orestes417
4 weeks ago#6
If I'm buying a laptop it's for portability. As long as we're not talking ridiculous (read sub 6 hour) battery life, give me the lighter system.
Even I'm not crazy enough to believe that distortion of reality

User Info: captsplatter_1

captsplatter_1
4 weeks ago#7
Battery.
PSN: captsplatter & Gamertag: OGcaptsplatter &
Switch FC: SW-3078-9578-8685 & Steam ID URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/captsplatter NO BLANK REQ.

Judgmenl
4 weeks ago#8
Solid Sonic posted...
Judgmenl posted...

Absolutely. Compilers take advantage of as many cores you can give them.

Solid Sonic
4 weeks ago#9
Judgmenl posted...
Solid Sonic posted...
Judgmenl posted...

Absolutely. Compilers take advantage of as many cores you can give them.

I guess that makes sense, although the core count has only recently increased on the Intel side (for the longest time the best you could get were hyper-threaded quad-core systems in the consumer space).

Though my post was coming more from a CPU architecture perspective as opposed to a threading point of view.

Judgmenl
4 weeks ago#10
Here's a good reference point for how much faster Ryzen is compared to Kaby Lake for Compilation:
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ryzen-kabylake-may&num=6

(Best side by side comparison I could find)

At my previous job I was using a 4910MQ with the Keil Compiler (ARM Code Compiler, so different use case). When a project takes 5-10 seconds to compile after a single line change every extra bit counts.

Edit: Also Visual Studio Benchmarks:
http://www.hardware.fr/articles/956-13/compilation-visual-studio-mingw-w64-gcc.html
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. What would you rather have in a laptop?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived